What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Mac for iOS development?

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been biting the bullet for a while now, thinking about buying a Mac for iOS development. I am not a Mac person, in fact I come from a Windows background. But I am a developer and want to get on the iPad bandwagon.

I've been looking at the Mac Mini, even looking at Craigslist. I'd like to do this on a shoestring budget, but still be able to run the latest OSX, and not be limited with expansion memory. Somewhere in this forum, I read 6 GB RAM is a good minimum. I suppose that means the machine should be able to go up to 8 GB RAM.

Also I wonder what the best way of doing Remote Desktop to a Mac Mini would be. I've run the Jump Desktop app from my iPad to a Windows box running RDP. But that app is limited to VNC on a Mac. I wonder how the unpaid version of LogMeIn works on a Mac?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
XCode itself is not all that big a CPU hog. It should run fine on a Mac Mini.

However, the development environment is much nicer on a big screen where you can spread out and view things side by side. So consider a big screen if not a bigger Mac. Also, consider any resources your app may need. If the creation of those resources require some horse power, you'll regret getting the cheapest mac.

I haven't used LogMeIn, but Splashtop works well from iPad to Mac.

As someone who has only tinkered with XCode that's about the limit of my observations. Hold in mind I use a 27" iMac, so I might be a bit biased when it comes to screen size. :D

Most reactions

Latest posts