What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which ipad

Woodie10059

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, A year or so ago I purchased (used) an ipad1 for my partner as an introduction to computing. It has been very successful and she now is able to email and surf etc, this is all really she wants to do. The only problem is, as soon as you try to download a biggish webpage the machine closes and goes back to the homepage. Googling around I can see this is a common problem with some models of ipad. We have tried all the fixes, some have helped...but the problem persists.
OK, so we want to upgrade to a new or newer model, one with a webcam so she can facetime or Skype friends this time. As I have said already we do not need to do anything complex. Do not want to download large music or video files, just basic surfing, email etc. Which would be a reliable model to move up to please.

Woodie10059

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'd probably be better off buying one no older than the iPad Air. The smallest storage size offered is the 16GB model. If the price is right, you could go for the iPad Air 2, which has a fster processor than the Air. The WiFi only models will be cheaper than the WiFi plus cellular models.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Woodie..... - welcome to the forum! :) Just to add to the suggestions by Scifan.., the iPad 1 came out in 2010 and is now ranked by Apple as a vintage device - you certainly could use a newer iPad whether 'new', used, or refurbished. However, you need to make some decisions and provide more information; currently, Apple offers 3 different iPad sizes - shown below from the Apple Website are the current new models; so what size do you want, how much storage (my minimum recommendation these days is 32 GB), and is Wi-Fi enough or do you need cellular - answers to these questions will help.

Finally, what is your budget - if a 'new' iPad is above the amount you want to pay, then look at Apple's refurbished offerings which come w/ a 1-year warranty - of course you could go to the 'used' market, such as eBay - good luck. Dave
Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 10.32.35 AM.png

OP
W

Woodie10059

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks both for your help, actually I have just got a good deal on a new Air2 128gb fro John Lewis. Wasn't really going to buy a brand new one but....Now just got find out how to transfer the photos, Contacts, PDF's etc.

Woodie...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks both for your help, actually I have just got a good deal on a new Air2 128gb fro John Lewis. Wasn't really going to buy a brand new one but....Now just got find out how to transfer the photos, Contacts, PDF's etc.

Woodie...
You could backup your old iPad to iTunes on your computer and set up your new iPad from that backup. Everything that was on the old iPad should then be on the new iPad.

Let us know how it all works out.

OP
W

Woodie10059

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could backup your old iPad to iTunes on your computer and set up your new iPad from that backup. Everything that was on the old iPad should then be on the new iPad.

Let us know how it all works out.
Hi again, first problem...been trying to to transfer date to new ipad, using icloud. First off it was telling me that it could not transfer data and to try another backup. Now after a rest it seems to start backing up, but then it says that we have lost internet connection.WHICH WE HAVE NOT...help please !!.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try again, this time using the cable to connect the iPad directly to iTunes on your computer. If your internet connection hasn't got enough bandwidth backing up to and restoring from an iCloud backup won't work properly.

Most reactions