What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which iPad mini do you suggest?

mhanos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know the new mini has made some upgrades but do you think $399 is justified compared to an original refurb for $249.

I have an iPad2 and my wife wants an iPad to use so one of us would take the mini and the other gets the 2. Both would be wifi only and for the record the iPad2 has supported our needs this far.

Thanks for your thoughts.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, only you can answer that question depending on your budget - comparison of the iPad Mini models is listed HERE - basically the main differences are the A7 (and M7) chip and retina display on the new device - I would suggest visiting a store w/ both models and take a look to see if the retina display is really an advantage to you both? I have a MBPro w/ retina display which is MUCH more readable to my old eyes that my previous Dell laptop; my wife has an iPad Mini and reads books w/o a problem, however, magazines are more difficult for her - I suspect the retina display on the new Mini would help. Good luck in your selection - Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Considering the that the retina iPad Mini is fully as powerful as the new iPad Air, I think the price is probably justified. I expected the Mini to get no better processor than the iPad 4 and a retina display. Apple's giving it every bit the power and speed of the top of the line iPad was a big surprise.

The only difference between the iPad Mini and iPad Air is the size of the screen and $100.

This is making it extremely difficult for me to decide which device I want, by the way. ;)

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, there is some excellent advice given by the earlier posts. Of course, it depends on your budget, nut I would prefer the iPad Mini 2, because, if you buy the original version, later, you will not be able to find peace in yourself. You will think the whole day about the fact that you bought the older version instead of the latest. This is not to demean you or anyone in anyway, but it is the habit of mankind, due to which one craves to get the latest devices. Good luck with your choice! :)

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, there is some excellent advice given by the earlier posts. Of course, it depends on your budget, nut I would prefer the iPad Mini 2, because, if you buy the original version, later, you will not be able to find peace in yourself. You will think the whole day about the fact that you bought the older version instead of the latest. This is not to demean you or anyone in anyway, but it is the habit of mankind, due to which one craves to get the latest devices. Good luck with your choice! :)

I have to agree here. It's one thing if you a lady had a first gen mini and didn't want to upgrade. That I get. But if you have no current iPad then it make sense to get the latest and greatest. So, go for the current model and don't look back.

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with everyone :) If you want to buy a mini then go for the latest version. I'm sure your wife will surely love it

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Considering the that the retina iPad Mini is fully as powerful as the new iPad Air, I think the price is probably justified. I expected the Mini to get no better processor than the iPad 4 and a retina display. Apple's giving it every bit the power and speed of the top of the line iPad was a big surprise. The only difference between the iPad Mini and iPad Air is the size of the screen and $100. This is making it extremely difficult for me to decide which device I want, by the way. ;)

Ditto. I love how light and small the mini is but I love the full size screen. I would love to have 128 MB as well.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 3 using iPF

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Considering the that the retina iPad Mini is fully as powerful as the new iPad Air, I think the price is probably justified. I expected the Mini to get no better processor than the iPad 4 and a retina display. Apple's giving it every bit the power and speed of the top of the line iPad was a big surprise.

The only difference between the iPad Mini and iPad Air is the size of the screen and $100.

This is making it extremely difficult for me to decide which device I want, by the way. ;)

Each day I go back and forth as which device I would like to purchase! Just don't know yet which I want!

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As much as I would love the new retina mini, I ended up purchasing a refurb this week due to the cost savings. I've been using it for the last 2-3 days and so far, so good. Its sharper than I thought it would be, even teeny tiny text on magazine pages is clear and readable. So, I think I'll be happy with this for the time being, but I'll probably upgrade a few months down the road. I got a 32gb device; I'm hoping that it retains some resale value after the regular minis are no longer available except for the 16gb.

Pharlap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well i would go for the ipad mini retina 32gb wifi unit as minimum
A lot hasn't been said of this unit but its display will be fantastic as it has better specs than ipad air in resolution
I wouldn't waste money on unit with with LTE as you can always use mobile phone as hotspot as it will work quicker

Most reactions

Latest posts