1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Which iPad is best for Overseas Travel

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by fonners, Dec 27, 2012.

1. fonners

fonners iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello all,

I am trying to find out if there is a model of iPad that is 'best' for travelling to Asia, specifically Thailand and Japan, with. I think that most of the use will be taking photos, checking email and using probably Skype. I think a iPad 2 should be fine with 32G and a WiFi connection. Are there any issues I should / need top be aware of before plunking down the $500 or so?

Thanks

Bob
  2. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,949 / 1
    There is one important thing to do before you leave on your trip. Make sure you have the proper plug adaptor/s for your charger. Apple sells a set of travel adaptors that will be good almost anywhere in the world. A WiFi iPad should be able to connect anywhere it can pick up a WiFi signal.
  3. zstairlessone

zstairlessone iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +437 / 0
    How long will you be there and how much video and how many pictures do you think you will take? Something to think about (how much memory is enough). Also are the pics and video for memories? If so, an iPad with a better camera maybe something to weigh.
  4. nathey6

nathey6 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. Jord

Jord iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Maybe iPad mini would be a choice. It's small and light, easy take it.
  6. fonners

fonners iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks all for some very good ideas and thoughts. I think right now I am looking at getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. It has a slightly larger screen (10.1 inches) and I can get one with 16meg onboard memory that also has a sd slot on it. There will be several trips in the coming 18 months or so. I am thinking there will be at least 6 or 8. I think that the wife will be using it to share family photos with her family in Thailand. She has a Nikon D333 DSLR to take any photos there, I think I can pack photos on a couple of sd chips and then show them with the tablet. That would be a lot nicer and easier than using the laptop. Thwe iPad looks really nice and I would like to get one but for our use I am having a tough time justifying the cost. I have cheched and almost all the hotels we will be at have free WiFi either now or within the very near feature. I know plug's have been an issue before but have seen several international plug set's so that should not be an issue. As I have used our old video camera there on several occasions I do not see any issue with the difference in the power / current. I will not be recharging anything with a motor so there should not be any issue, correct?

Thanks again