What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which iPad do you recommend purchasing?

rudeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will probably only be using my iPad around the house therefore won't need 3G. I don't want to pay $30 a month for the 3G service. I could see myself tethering the iPad if possible down the road to my iPhone.

At first I thought I would buy the 16GB model but what if I need more space. I could see myself putting say 5 movies, 5 magazine subscriptions, 250 songs, 2 newspaper subscriptions, 10 books, 5 audio books, 500 pictures and 50 apps at one time. In other words manage the data in this way.

Bottom line I might get the 32GB wifi model over the 16GB wifi. Resale value is also a consideration. Therefore which model would you recommend in my case? And let me know which model you will be buying and why?

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The movies are going to be the one thing that really eats space. Even standard instead of high def movies would take close to 8GB of space if you put 5 of them on at a time.

I'd say the more heavily you intend to use it for video, the more space you're going to need. For smaller storage, data management is key. I don't anticipate it will be an issue for me. I'm getting the 16GB model. Even if I were going on a week long business trip, there's no way I'd even have time to watch more than 1 movie in the course of the week. I'd probably take one with me with the intent of forcing myself to sit and watch it rather than keep working once I'm back in the hotel at least one night, but that's about it. Besides, if I move a movie from iTunes to my iPad, it becomes unavailable on my TV, and I'd rather have ready access to it there to watch on the big screen in the living room. (I pretty much never buy movies any more. I rent a couple a month, maybe more if the 99¢ rentals in the iTunes Store look interesting.

That being said, as with computers of all kinds, crap will expand to fill all available storage space... If you can afford more storage, I'd say go for it. 32GB is a pretty decent amount of space.

gpaisnd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I would go with the more space the better myself.

Though I wonder what the new, improved iPad will be in the Fall for Back to School.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think you'll see much memory size change, but if there is one I'd bet my first bar of forum battery charge that it'll have a camera built in.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The 3G service is only $20/month. Also, if you ever plan to take your iPad out and about, it would be handy and you can enable/cancel at will.

I'd go with a medium range 3G model.

iPadBoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teenagerswithaspergers.com
Even if you want to take it out, the iPad is something you'll use while sitting down, so you'll probably have no problem hooking up to a WiFi network.

As for memory, it depends on what you'll use it for. If you think you'll use more memory, pay a few extra $ for the 32GB.

Most reactions