What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which IPad browser are you using?

Dukins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Atomic but for the life of me I cant figure out how to make it my default browser. Anyone know how?

Apple see to that. You can't set up any other browser, as default. The closeset thing you can do, is set up a bookmark that will take your current page and open it on say.. Atomic

Gee whiz this closed system bothers me to no end sometimes. I still love my iPad though. I will just have to deal with it. Had my iPad for a few days now.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is one thing I would love to see Apple change. By all means, have Safari as the default browser, stop the user from deleting it and even make changing it to another a browser as an option buried away in the settings to dissuade the more casual user but please allow the user to determine which browser is best suited to their needs. Why allow browsers in the App Store if any links that open automatically will not use your chosen browser?

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll use atomic when there's iOS 4.2 support.

Safari is really good and fast, going to check icab out, though

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple see to that. You can't set up any other browser, as default. The closeset thing you can do, is set up a bookmark that will take your current page and open it on say.. Atomic

I have Browser Changer installed and don't have to put up with that nonsense. It lets me set my default browser to just about any available iPad browser--certainly any of the ones list in this thread so far. No more are links automatically routed to Safari. Better yet I can turn it off and on with simple SBSetting toggle. When it is off Safari is again the default browser. Pretty kewl.

Yes, it's a Cydai app. But that is why I jailbreak. Lots of little things like this that would get on my nerves if I didn't. :)

Michael

Last edited:

Dukins

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have Browser Changer installed and don't have to put up with that nonsense. It lets me set my default browser to just about any available iPad browser--certainly any of the ones list in this thread so far. No more are links automatically routed to Safari. Better yet I can turn it off and on with simple SBSetting toggle. When it is off Safari is again the default browser. Pretty kewl.

Yes, it's a Cydai app. But that is why I jailbreak. Lots of little things like this that would get on my nerves if I didn't. :)

Michael

Man I want to jailbreak so bad, but being this is my first apple product and I feel I probably paid too much, I would hate for something to happen and I have to return it and I couldnt because its jailbroken. Its funny, as soon as I purchased my EVO I immediately rooted it and havent looked back lol.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man I want to jailbreak so bad, but being this is my first apple product and I feel I probably paid too much, I would hate for something to happen and I have to return it and I couldnt because its jailbroken. Its funny, as soon as I purchased my EVO I immediately rooted it and havent looked back lol.
That is just about impossible. If something goes wrong you can always restore back to a fresh install of the firmware.... and won't have a thing to worry about if you had to return it. I have been jailbreaking these things since about a month after the iPhone came out--and it was much hard then. Never has there been one verified case of an iOS being stuck in a jailbreak where it could not be restored to factory/firmware fresh.

Carry on with the browser debate! :)

Michael

33hamil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iConfusion with names

I immediately install any new browser that I see listed. I give each one a try and seem to gravitate back to Safari, Atomic, and iCab.

Since I am new to this forum I am guessing that at some point some other noobie has been confused by the posts that deal with Apple products other than the iPad. I realize that there are a lot of similarities between a number of the mobile products and therefore, often a comment might relate to iPad, iPhone, iPod, etc. However, it appears that the inclusion of other than iPad items in this forum can cause confusion. For example, I did the jailbreak on my 4.2 iPad only to find that everything came out formatted for the iPhone.

The Sling players for iPad and iPod seem to be a case in point. My Slingbox Classic will play on my iPod app (installed on my iPad), but will not play on the iPad app (also installed on my iPad). And yes, I did read the warning on the app store site.

I think that the iPad has bought a lot of new customers to the Apple fold. After 50+ years with computers, this is my first Apple. I'm sure that old-time Apple owners feel perfectly comfortable with the "lumping" together of different mobile products in this "iPad" forum. I have learned that if something is a little strange to me then there is the possibility that at least a few other people feel the same. (Please don't jump on the word "strange" with both feet.

I spend hours on the computer every day, and much of that is on this forum. Most of what I know about the iPad I got here. Most posts are very helpful

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can you download files in any of the alternative browsers discussed here?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you download files in any of the alternative browsers discussed here?
Yes, for sure iCab can.

You can access the downloaded files in iTunes, email them, or open them in an external app. I was recently helping out a friend with his PC and it came in handy. He had a nasty virus that prevented me from even being able to get on the Internet properly. So I used iCab on my iPad to download a tool. When I connected my iPad to his PC I was able to get the file, install the tool, and get him fixed up.

Michael

Last edited:

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll use atomic when there's iOS 4.2 support.
It already has it.

Michael

Does it have it for the free version of just the paid version?

When I multitask back to atomic it starts back up again.

I wonder when sky fire browser will be available fior iPad? Hopefully soon, I'm not expecting much from sky fire though

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does it have it for the free version of just the paid version?

When I multitask back to atomic it starts back up again.

I wonder when sky fire browser will be available fior iPad? Hopefully soon, I'm not expecting much from sky fire though
No idea if the free one is different... never tried that.

But the regular version certainly stays running in the background. Now if you go back to it after running a bunch of other apps, iOS will likely have closed it by then to make room to run those other apps. But that is something that would happen with any app.

If it is closed, for whatever reason (reboot, iOS closed it, etc.) then how it behaves upon launching again depends on how it has been configured. That is controlled by the Load on Startup setting. I have mine set to Last Session (load all tabs). I don't think that is the default setting though, and it was kind of annoying before I realized what was happening.

Michael

Most reactions