What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which iPad 16 32 or 64

asimmd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All

I am going to the Apple store on Sunday to buy my first iPad,but which one to get.

Can someone explain why the different sizes,and what they are best suited for.

My main interest will be writing stuff with Garage Band,and I thought the 32 gig would
be the one to go for.

Alan

Last edited:

MelvynLoh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
asimmd said:
Hi All

I am going to the Aple store on Sunday to buy my first iPad,but which one to get.

My main interest will be writing stuff with Garage Band,and I thought the 32 gig would
be the one to go for.

Alan

In that case 16 would be the ideal one

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi All

I am going to the Aple store on Sunday to buy my first iPad,but which one to get.

be the one to go for.

Alan

Is that all you ever plan to use it for?

The storage options are there for people who think they may need additional space for various things they want to store. You don't be able to increase it later.

You can carry a lot of music and movies on one with more storage. There are also many apps you can buy too.

Don't know what else to say...if you can afford the 32 GB model, then I see no reason from what you say why it won't serve. But only you can know as none of us know you.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I personally feel the 32 GB to be the beet option for most people. I have had a 64GB wifi for two years and bought a 64 GB 3G this time but I only have 20 GB left--lots of photos and content and used quite similarly to my laptop but most people don't use theirs like that. I bought my husband a 32GB a year and a half ago and he still has over 20 GB left on his. He uses it mostly for emails, surfing, some photos but nothing like me. I would say the 32 GB givee you room to use it for more than you now expect but not storage you will never use. Enjoy it, I upgraded from One to Three and love it.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get at least 32, because apps are getting bigger and bigger with retina screen. Even if you get an iPad without retina screen, you're still stuck using the bigger apps.

Personally, I buy the most storage possible. Both my iPads are 64. If a hundred or two made a difference to me, I probably wouldn't buy an iPad at all.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Get at least 32, because apps are getting bigger and bigger with retina screen. Even if you get an iPad without retina screen, you're still stuck using the bigger apps.

Personally, I buy the most storage possible. Both my iPads are 64. If a hundred or two made a difference to me, I probably wouldn't buy an iPad at all.

This is the thinking I use for my personal situation...but then I didn't ask anyone how much storage I should buy. I just went for it. Of course, I am lots and lots of TBs of storage on the many computers I have...so for me the decision is quite clear in my mind.

OP
A

asimmd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,I will be downloading Apps and I guess my wife will
want to play a few games.

I think it makes sense to get the biggest storage you can afford,but I think the 32 bit
will be right for me.

I can always decide on the day,but it's nice to know in advance what general opinion is.

Well I just noticed that the 64gig is only £80 more than the 32,so it looks like it will be the 64gig after all.

Alan

Last edited:

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right Alan, if you can afford the model with the most memory, 64 GB, then go for it. Apple iDevices have fixed amounts of memory that are not expandable. When you start running out of space, all you can do is delete stuff to make more room for new stuff. It's not like you can swap out a drive on a laptop or a desktop computer for larger capacity drive. My 64 GB iPhone is 90% full with just music, a few music videos, and some apps. And my 64 GB iPad is getting full with HD movies and a few apps. I wish these devices were produced with 128, 256, and 512 GB drives.

Sent from my iPhone 4S or iPad 3rd gen, whichever I happened to have in my hands at the time, using iPF.net

Captfx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you're smart to go with the 64. I don't know if most people realize that the 32 gig really only has ~29gig usable (3 gigs used by the OS and system apps) the 64 has ~57 usable. One of my reasons for going to the new iPad was I wanted the 64g, my iPad2 32g was getting filled and I didn't want to delete stuff. If Apple sold a 128g I think a lot of us would have got that.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have never owned a tablet you may not know what all you may end up using it for. I wasn't sure at my first purchase and now I have over 100 apps.

OP
A

asimmd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone,maybe 128,etc will be on the next update next year,we will see.

As this is my first Apple product,I am wondering if I may be hooked.

I was going to go Apple as my main computer but as I have invested so much on my PC,I
thought it prudent to stay with it until such times as it is no longer viable to upgrade it.

Can't wait till Sunday,fancy getting excited at my age!!!!!

Suppose I will need a Case and a Screen Protector as well.

Alan

Last edited:

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally, I think the 16 GB option is only there to make you wish you bought the 32 GB option and the 32 GB option is only there to make you wish you bought the 64 GB option.

Since you can't upgrade the Ipad's memory, you should buy as much IPad as you can afford when making the initial purchase. If you need to hold off on buying for a month to get a few more bucks saved up, I'd suggest waiting and then getting the largest option you can.

In a year or two, when you're considering selling your IPad in order to buy a newer model, 16 or 32 GB will be almost insignificant compared to what will be available to new buyers in both the Apple and Android markets.

Most reactions

Latest posts