What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which harddrive for Ipad3 ?? Help

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Ipad3/ ios 5.11/ Absinth with the fabulous Ifile Cydia app, badly needs an external Harddrive (such as a Seagate 1 TB )
on my upcoming travel to Istandbul, Cairo, Teheran, Ulan Bator (where no internett and hence no Dropbox available)...

The problem, I am a photographer, I take a lot of pictures, we simply dont keep them floating around on mem. cards, I have to get them on a fixed, external removal drive.

The other problem, due to heavy gear (canon slr), I simply dont want the extra weigth of a laptop such as my Apple Macbook pro, I should like to use my ipad to "administer" the copying from my camera to the HDD.

I have found some solutions

a) ClodFTP, very interesting, but not possible for me, it will be waayy too expensive (I have to import one from USA)

b) Seagate Satelitte ?? I cannot "get the picture", do I upload my jpeg files via wifi to this? NB: each evening on these 10 days travels, I am in need to copy approx 200 jpg pictures to the HDD. Each jpg is approx 7 MB, so the ideal solution would be a usb cable Ifile <--> Seagate. but maybe a wifi solution could eb fast enough?

c) others?

OP
MorAase

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes

Several times.

Gave up when the op opened a terminal windows and started ssh sessions, sorry, nothing for me

He also discuss some non jb options, the patriot gadget looked promising - but not available in Norway, thus way too expensive to buy.

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the price in USD range you are looking for? I know mobile terminal is confusing, but have you tried the USB Toggle tweak as well?

If CloudFTP (100$ USD) is too expensive (with 25$ shipping atleast for international). The one that has cheap options are the Kingston WiDrive which is more accessible and light with 5 hours battery life. Has enough memory for all day shooting.

OP
MorAase

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have researched the wifi options again,

--- to empty a 16 gb memory card might take forever, perhapse not what i want to do late in the evenings in Cairo (when I really should get some rest)

Thus, the usb "hardwired" option or "ditch" the Ipad and instead bring along my macbook pro.....

I have the cck, I have just bought a Seagate 500 gb ( travels, with no powercord, just the usb lead) and i have jb my ipad
I am sooo close, but maybe not close enough?

Peter Roberts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have filled the memory on my 32 Gb iPad 3 using its video camera - I have many live music videos recorded live with the iPad which I
want to download and keep elsewhere also loads of photos.

Am I correct in thinking the only device to accept exports from the iPad is Airstash onto SDHC cards up to 32 Gb, this is the preferred
option - small and convenient.
OR will the Seagate Goflex satellite accept exports - from what I have read it can only import videos, photos into the iPad ?

OP
MorAase

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just for the record ;)

Have just tried two brand new FAt msdos formated 500 gb external drives, both are powered by an poweradapter

I have a registred usb setting and sb setting

I have green light on usb setting

Nothing happens, oh I got unsupported drive by ipad

Hmm, what i am doing wrong? Does this message *unsopprted drive" means i am closer to a solution, or way off?

If this hardwire option is this difficult to achieve, i have to the ditch the ipad external drive altogether, just bring along my macbook.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have filled the memory on my 32 Gb iPad 3 using its video camera - I have many live music videos recorded live with the iPad which I
want to download and keep elsewhere also loads of photos.

Am I correct in thinking the only device to accept exports from the iPad is Airstash onto SDHC cards up to 32 Gb, this is the preferred
option - small and convenient.
OR will the Seagate Goflex satellite accept exports - from what I have read it can only import videos, photos into the iPad ?

I *think* they both will, but my memory has faded with regard to the seagate. I KNOW the air stash will as I use it regularly. I have one 128 GBs card and several 32 gb cards. Transferring many photos does not take long at all.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Air Stash + is a good option if you can afford. 200 @ 7MB each should not be a problem. You don't need a cable for that. For travel, the air stash and several SD cards is hard to beat.

OP
MorAase

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm. Air stash. Kind of pricey .....

I tried something --

I sticked a 64 gb Transcend memory usb stick into my CCK.
NO problems, all the sudden my ipad has 64 gb storage ;)

Why should i buy the usd 112 airstash when this 64 gb works?

Most reactions

Latest posts