What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where's my space?

baloglevente92

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey!
I have a 64gb ipad 2 3g. I bought it a few weeks ago and when it was new it had something like 58gb free space on it. Since then I had put series, films and movies on it, but I mostly delete the series and movies I've watched. Now in ITunes if I check the amount of free space left, it says 45gb, which is fine, but If i see the seek bar, it says ~3gb music, ~ 3gb films some more like 1 gb of apps, photos and books, and 5,4 gb of others. My question is about the others. What is that? How can I check/delete it? I know I have much space left, but I still wonder about it.
Thank you for taking the time to read it and for helping, if you can :)

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
baloglevente92 said:
Hey!
I have a 64gb ipad 2 3g. I bought it a few weeks ago and when it was new it had something like 58gb free space on it. Since then I had put series, films and movies on it, but I mostly delete the series and movies I've watched. Now in ITunes if I check the amount of free space left, it says 45gb, which is fine, but If i see the seek bar, it says ~3gb music, ~ 3gb films some more like 1 gb of apps, photos and books, and 5,4 gb of others. My question is about the others. What is that? How can I check/delete it? I know I have much space left, but I still wonder about it.
Thank you for taking the time to read it and for helping, if you can :)

Hello Levi,

The best way to find out how much and by what is using your storage space is by going to your settings app and click on general. You'll see this list (first picture), choose usage, and you will get this picture. This is a list of apps and how much room each app takes.

By the way, always post your questions in the right place, you have two options, general topics or iPad 2. I would have chosen general topics as storage problems are a matter endemic to all iPads. Choosing the iPad 1 will result in only iPad 1 users replying. If this problem was specific to iPad 2, it would matter.

image-4039301006.jpg

Picture One

image-963026332.jpg

Picture Two

OP
B

baloglevente92

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for helping me out, it just seems fine in the Usage "section".
I meant to post it into the iPad 2 forums, it was just my bad that I posted into the iPad 1. Thank you for telling me about where to post my threads, I'll try to keep these things in mind!

Last edited:

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do we have excellent and helpfull moderators here or what! (Never fully understood how that arrangement of words - 'or what' - came about, but they do seem to convey the thought. Perhaps should have used - 'or not'. Oh well...)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
...or what? invites discussion, whereas ...or not? asks for either agreement or simple gainsay. At least, that's how I read it.

To add to the info on the disappearing storage, some apps cache quite large amounts of storage. The best way to deal with this is to delete the app and reinstall it. This will free up the storage that has been cached.

You can see how much space an app is hogging by looking where Matt suggested, and comparing the space used to the original size of the app as shown in the app store. Some news apps can get pretty hungry, as can Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
...or what? invites discussion, whereas ...or not? asks for either agreement or simple gainsay. At least, that's how I read it.
Sent from my iPhone using iPF

See, Kevin, you just made my point!

OP
B

baloglevente92

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From over 5 gb it changed to 1,8gb, and I did nothing. Not so easy to understand.

Most reactions

Latest posts