What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will you buy your Ipad 2 and why...

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think there will be a long line still if you paid online and go to pick up at 5 at the apple store?

You can't do that tomorrow. Apple is not doing order online and pick up in store.

You either order online and wait for shipping, or go to the store and try your luck. Same with Best Buy if you meant them--in store pick up isn't an option tomorrow. Have to line up and buy at 5 or hope they have some left later.

applemike68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know why they are selling them at 5:00 PM? The malls and best buy's open at 10:00 am...SO if I walk in to an apple store they will not be selling them unitl 5:00...Very strange...:(

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know why they are selling them at 5:00 PM? The malls and best buy's open at 10:00 am...SO if I walk in to an apple store they will not be selling them unitl 5:00...Very strange...:(

They want long lines for free publicity. Other people in the mall see it, local tv news covers the lines etc.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv

It is not only for publicity, but because the stores want to make sure things go as smoothly as possible. Like I said earlier, Best Buy has set the SKU of the iPad 2 to $10,000 until 5PM to avoid early sales.

As for the person with the store location issue....if you CAN get to a Best Buy, its worth it. IMO, apple care is garbage. It doesn't cover the most basic things, and costs more than the best buy warranty. -shrug- just my two cents as Wal Mart and Target suck at selling electronics.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nothing to do with things going smoothly. They did the iPad 1 sales when stores opened on a Saturday, not at 5 pm.

It can go just as smoothly at any time of day--they have days/weeks to get staff trained and ready for it.

Doing it later in the day means lines during the daytime rather than just in the night/morning like for most product launches. All about publicity.

The Best Buy sku thing is to keep stores from deciding to sell early to get rid of any lines. Can't do that if the system doesn't ring up the proper price until 5pm.

I never buy extended warranties for anything, so that's moot for me. I decided long ago that I'd spend far more buying warranties for all my gadgets than I would just replacing the few that break after the 1 year manufacturers warranty.

Last edited:

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
The Best Buy sku thing is to keep stores from deciding to sell early to get rid of any lines. Can't do that if the system doesn't ring up the proper price until 5pm.

Didnt I say this? Lol.

Anyways, either way you look at it, its on sale at 5 PM. If you don't like it, don't deal with it.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyways, either way you look at it, its on sale at 5 PM. If you don't like it, don't deal with it.

Yeah, I was just saying that's to stop early sells, and nothing about the 5 pm time is about smoothness. It's all about publicity.

Like I said, I'm ordering online as I have to work. And I hate the Apple store and Apple fanboys, so I'd prefer not go there anyway. :D Plus I'd just never wait in line to buy something. Getting a gadget right away isn't worth the time and effort for me to do it that way, especially when I can order online and get it a few days later.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there an official apple link with that time? Before Apple.com sales reps were saying it went on sale at 12:01am pst/3:01 am EST.

I don't care about waiting a few days, I have to work so I can't line up, and I'd never line up to buy something anyway. Especially a silly tech gadget. I have better things to do with my time than wait in line with gadget geeks. I'm guessing they'll ship on Friday and arrive on Tuesday assuming the free shipping is 2 day shipping.

Just want to know what time to set my alarm to get up and place and order.

csrredcoat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably since i can order at 3 am est and don't have to worry about running around looking for a white one which I read may be harder to find unless u go to apple store

I too am going for this option. I am staying up to order for fear they will sell out if I wait till morning when I wake up. Do you think it is possible they will sell out that quick?

Most reactions

Latest posts