1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Where is the "Open in" list in iBooks?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by laurieg, May 18, 2012.

1. laurieg

laurieg iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi, I have added pdf books (more like interactive forms) to my iPad using iTunes. I am able to easeily see and open them in iBooks, however, i WANT to be able to open them using Adobe Reader so that I can fill in forms etc. There is no "open in" button in iBooks to let me choose Adobe Reader. Is this fault with the PDF document maker or iBooks? I need to replicate these steps for other users without getting too many steps involved (like registering for Dropbox, installing the app, adding the file...)

laurie
  2. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,000 / 0
    Hi laurie...welcome.

I am thinking that instead of having your PDFs in you iBooks, why not get Goodreader,iAnnotate or any of the PDF apps that you can annotate from. While iBooks is capable of accepting PDFs, you cannot do this function in this app. You will need to have an app such as the ones I have mentioned.
  3. yellowhorse

yellowhorse iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    PDF Expert by Readdle was recommended to me and I tried it. It's by far the best money I've spent on an app. There are many ways to import PDFs. Write on em. Sign with signature and the latest version allows embedding of vidz and watching them in Dox. Or voice memos. the bookmark feature is cool. Folder creation. Print to AirPrint or through AirPrint adapters for non airprints. Open in PDF expert all over. Dropbox you have to email to Dropbox. I don't think it saves to iCloud but it does that through iTunes.
  4. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,729 / 0
    Just to add...

The iBooks app does not support the "Open In..." function by [Apple's] design. You can e-mail PDFs but that's about all. If I may, I would suggest using another app entirely for your project, such as the ones already recommended here.

Marilyn
  5. laurieg

laurieg iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for all the suggestions. My company's product includes many PDF documents. I was just trying to find the easiest way of getting the doc onto the iPad and then open in Adobe Reader. I was thinking that just adding the files using iTunes they'd be easy to find when accessing on the iPad with iBooks then just easily switch to Reader. I do not see a simple way of opening a PDF with reader since you can't browse to open a file. The docs are too large to email so that's out. I didn't want to have to tell customers to get a dropbox account, then the Dropbox app, upload to Dropbox, then open in Reader.

Is there another way to accomplish this?
  6. yellowhorse

yellowhorse iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yah. You can do that. Are you saying that reading them in iBooks requires another program? I dont understand you on that part Generally I can use adobe acrobat to reduce file size on my computer which takes a 50 mb PDF down to 830k lol. That's loose numbers for example. Using pages to make PDFs they flatten for email. So are you saying you don't want to read PDFs in iBooks, mine are in a separate section than my books. I thought earlier you indicated that you wanted to edit. I fill out a lot of forms. I read with it because I can make notes and bookmark, with a table of bookmarks. Highlight etc. it has an FTP function where you can browser transfer from your Mac and there's no limit on size. When you open in PDF expert it saves it there. Then in iTunes you have a separate folder you can drop docs into this program. You don't need top box to use it. It's that a lot of people use Dropbox as an example of getting PDFs remotely.
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  7. yellowhorse

yellowhorse iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I should say that since I got it.... I only go to iBooks for books. You can transfer via iTunes, browser FTP, and open in. And it's more page flip stable.
  8. Czevski

Czevski iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +271 / 0
    Have you tried the Adobe Reader app?
  9. yellowhorse

yellowhorse iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  10. laurieg

laurieg iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry, the PDFs are interactive. They are workbooks for students where they need to write in an answer, check boxes, match objects from one column to another, circle items etc. there are also Teacher Guides for the teacher where they can add notes and comments, and cross out text. These features are all available in adobe reader. The documents work perfectly on a PC but viewing on the iPad has turned into a nightmare. Opening adobe Reader on the iPad first does not let me browse anywhere. How do I open a document that I know is available in iBooks - which doesn't have the "Open in" list button to switch to another reader? Compressing the file size any more makes the images in the document of poor quality. Most are around 150 pages, graphic intense and around the 10mb mark.
  11. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,985 / 1
    There is no app on the iPad, even Adobe Reader, that will handle Dynamic PDF files. (to the best of my knowledge). From your description I'm pretty sure you are dealing with Dynamic PDFs.

But, if you are only talking about editable forms:

Adobe Reader, PDF Expert, and PDFPen will fill out forms with editable fields. That is limited to text boxes, check boxes, radio buttons and the like. They will also let you sign the form, more or less.

Adobe Reader, while free, is the most limited. It can edit the files but has no file management. You should be able to open the files directly from DropBox, or use a file manager app like GoodReader or iFiles, then use Open In or email to output the documents. Do not confuse the PC version of Adobe Reader with the much more limited iOS version.

PDF Expert is a mature PDF app with the most features. It has excellent file management and can access DropBox directly.

PDFPen has nearly as many features as PDF Expert and a more user friendly interface, but is still not as stable (crash proof) as the other two. (according to reviews I've read)