What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is the "Open in" list in iBooks?

laurieg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi, I have added pdf books (more like interactive forms) to my iPad using iTunes. I am able to easeily see and open them in iBooks, however, i WANT to be able to open them using Adobe Reader so that I can fill in forms etc. There is no "open in" button in iBooks to let me choose Adobe Reader. Is this fault with the PDF document maker or iBooks? I need to replicate these steps for other users without getting too many steps involved (like registering for Dropbox, installing the app, adding the file...)

laurie

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi laurie...welcome.

I am thinking that instead of having your PDFs in you iBooks, why not get Goodreader,iAnnotate or any of the PDF apps that you can annotate from. While iBooks is capable of accepting PDFs, you cannot do this function in this app. You will need to have an app such as the ones I have mentioned.

yellowhorse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PDF Expert by Readdle was recommended to me and I tried it. It's by far the best money I've spent on an app. There are many ways to import PDFs. Write on em. Sign with signature and the latest version allows embedding of vidz and watching them in Dox. Or voice memos. the bookmark feature is cool. Folder creation. Print to AirPrint or through AirPrint adapters for non airprints. Open in PDF expert all over. Dropbox you have to email to Dropbox. I don't think it saves to iCloud but it does that through iTunes.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hi, I have added pdf books (more like interactive forms) to my iPad using iTunes. I am able to easeily see and open them in iBooks, however, i WANT to be able to open them using Adobe Reader so that I can fill in forms etc. There is no "open in" button in iBooks to let me choose Adobe Reader. Is this fault with the PDF document maker or iBooks? I need to replicate these steps for other users without getting too many steps involved (like registering for Dropbox, installing the app, adding the file...)

laurie

Just to add...

The iBooks app does not support the "Open In..." function by [Apple's] design. You can e-mail PDFs but that's about all. If I may, I would suggest using another app entirely for your project, such as the ones already recommended here.

Marilyn

OP
L

laurieg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. My company's product includes many PDF documents. I was just trying to find the easiest way of getting the doc onto the iPad and then open in Adobe Reader. I was thinking that just adding the files using iTunes they'd be easy to find when accessing on the iPad with iBooks then just easily switch to Reader. I do not see a simple way of opening a PDF with reader since you can't browse to open a file. The docs are too large to email so that's out. I didn't want to have to tell customers to get a dropbox account, then the Dropbox app, upload to Dropbox, then open in Reader.

Is there another way to accomplish this?

yellowhorse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
laurieg said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. My company's product includes many PDF documents. I was just trying to find the easiest way of getting the doc onto the iPad and then open in Adobe Reader. I was thinking that just adding the files using iTunes they'd be easy to find when accessing on the iPad with iBooks then just easily switch to Reader. I do not see a simple way of opening a PDF with reader since you can't browse to open a file. The docs are too large to email so that's out. I didn't want to have to tell customers to get a dropbox account, then the Dropbox app, upload to Dropbox, then open in Reader.

Is there another way to accomplish this?

Yah. You can do that. Are you saying that reading them in iBooks requires another program? I dont understand you on that part Generally I can use adobe acrobat to reduce file size on my computer which takes a 50 mb PDF down to 830k lol. That's loose numbers for example. Using pages to make PDFs they flatten for email. So are you saying you don't want to read PDFs in iBooks, mine are in a separate section than my books. I thought earlier you indicated that you wanted to edit. I fill out a lot of forms. I read with it because I can make notes and bookmark, with a table of bookmarks. Highlight etc. it has an FTP function where you can browser transfer from your Mac and there's no limit on size. When you open in PDF expert it saves it there. Then in iTunes you have a separate folder you can drop docs into this program. You don't need top box to use it. It's that a lot of people use Dropbox as an example of getting PDFs remotely.

Last edited:

yellowhorse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should say that since I got it.... I only go to iBooks for books. You can transfer via iTunes, browser FTP, and open in. And it's more page flip stable.

OP
L

laurieg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yellowhorse said:
Yah. You can do that. Are you saying that reading them in iBooks requires another program? I dont understand you on that part Generally I can use adobe acrobat to reduce file size on my computer which takes a 50 mb PDF down to 830k lol. That's loose numbers for example. Using pages to make PDFs they flatten for email. So are you saying you don't want to read PDFs in iBooks, mine are in a separate section than my books. I thought earlier you indicated that you wanted to edit. I fill out a lot of forms. I read with it because I can make notes and bookmark, with a table of bookmarks. Highlight etc. it has an FTP function where you can browser transfer from your Mac and there's no limit on size. When you open in PDF expert it saves it there. Then in iTunes you have a separate folder you can drop docs into this program.

Sorry, the PDFs are interactive. They are workbooks for students where they need to write in an answer, check boxes, match objects from one column to another, circle items etc. there are also Teacher Guides for the teacher where they can add notes and comments, and cross out text. These features are all available in adobe reader. The documents work perfectly on a PC but viewing on the iPad has turned into a nightmare. Opening adobe Reader on the iPad first does not let me browse anywhere. How do I open a document that I know is available in iBooks - which doesn't have the "Open in" list button to switch to another reader? Compressing the file size any more makes the images in the document of poor quality. Most are around 150 pages, graphic intense and around the 10mb mark.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no app on the iPad, even Adobe Reader, that will handle Dynamic PDF files. (to the best of my knowledge). From your description I'm pretty sure you are dealing with Dynamic PDFs.

But, if you are only talking about editable forms:

Adobe Reader, PDF Expert, and PDFPen will fill out forms with editable fields. That is limited to text boxes, check boxes, radio buttons and the like. They will also let you sign the form, more or less.

Adobe Reader, while free, is the most limited. It can edit the files but has no file management. You should be able to open the files directly from DropBox, or use a file manager app like GoodReader or iFiles, then use Open In or email to output the documents. Do not confuse the PC version of Adobe Reader with the much more limited iOS version.

PDF Expert is a mature PDF app with the most features. It has excellent file management and can access DropBox directly.

PDFPen has nearly as many features as PDF Expert and a more user friendly interface, but is still not as stable (crash proof) as the other two. (according to reviews I've read)

Dminnici

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will need a jailbroken iDevese. Download and install the app PDF Printer from Cydia ( it's in the Big Boss repo). Then open iBooks and open the PDF file you want to transfer. Once PDF is opened in iBooks, choose the email/print icon. Then chose the PDF icon on the top right of the Print Options dialog box. Then, once your file "Prints" chose the open in icon on the top right and chose the PDF reader/editer app you want a copy opened in, such as PDF Expert. Pretty simple solution and a great time saver.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no app on the iPad, even Adobe Reader, that will handle Dynamic PDF files. (to the best of my knowledge). From your description I'm pretty sure you are dealing with Dynamic PDFs.

Sorry to disagree but I have an order form on my iPad 2 for our companies web page I created 3 or 4 years ago with Adobe. Adobe Reader allows me to enter form data and saves it. It has text entry areas, drop down lists and numeric fields.

To the OP: Depending on how the PDF is sent to you use the "Open In" function to open it in the Adobe Reader instead of iBooks.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry to disagree but I have an order form on my iPad 2 for our companies web page I created 3 or 4 years ago with Adobe. Adobe Reader allows me to enter form data and saves it. It has text entry areas, drop down lists and numeric fields.

To the OP: Depending on how the PDF is sent to you use the "Open In" function to open it in the Adobe Reader instead of iBooks.

Drifting slightly askew of the topic:

There is a difference between Dynamic PDF (also called Rich Media PDF) and editable PDF Forms (text boxes that you can type in). The first allows things like videos and interactive media elements. It requires embedded Flash. Which is why it won't work on the iPad. The second is limited to a few specific field types like text, dates, check boxes, radio switches, and such.

Here is more information than you could possibly want to know about the various flavors of PDF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format#Interactive_elements

There are several apps that will let you fill out PDF forms, the ones with active text boxes and such. Adobe's PDF reader is the free, and basic option. PDF Expert by Readdle is another, and existed before Adobe got around to releasing their own app on the iPad.

Just a few weeks ago Reeddle released their newest app; PDF Office. You can actually create editable PDF forms using this app. The form creation part is subscription based, but you could easily subscribe for the month or so it takes to create your forms, then cancel until the next time you need it. You'll still be able to read, fill out, and annotate.

Prior PDF Expert uses were grandfathered with a years subscription, so I've been playing around with it for fun.

Back on topic:

Yes, the best option if you need to print, edit, annotate, or fill out PDF files or forms is to use a PDF app made for the task. Adobe Reader is a good free solution. For more options PDF Expert, GoodReader, and PDF Office are the ones I use. Documents by Reeddle (they do a lot of PDF apps) is also good, if you're looking for a more general file reading solution that has decent PDF features.

Right now, as you may have guessed, PDF Office is my favorite to play with for forms. PDF Expert is my favorite for general annotation, and GoodReader my go to tool when there is something unusual I'm trying to do with a file, like zip it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I notice that I didn't actually answer the OP's question. Sorry.

The best thing you can do with a PDF that is already in iBooks is email it to yourself, then you can use the Open In options in Mail to copy it to another app.

Hold in mind that since iBooks does not support the ability to fill out forms (or at least it didn't the last time I checked) the file may not retain this feature when exported from iBooks.

Addendum:

I did a quick test, exporting a form I created in PDF Office to iBooks, emailing to myself, then using Open In to create a copy in PDF Expert.

Bad news. The form can not be edited in any way in iBooks.

Good news. When I opened the emailed copy in PDF Expert, it was editable again. So PDF files are not flattened when imported to iBooks.

Last edited:

Most reactions