What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

where is the hd located in the ipad

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my ipad, not mini, is kaput and i want to drill a hole before i toss it

thx

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
my ipad, not mini, is kaput and i want to drill a hole before i toss it............

Hello - as Lanny stated, iPads do not have spinning HDs but use flash memory (specifically NAND) like SSDs and USB memory sticks - these flash memory modules are small - as an example, the pics below are several from a 'teardown' of a 64 GB iPad Pro (LINK) - the first shows the main electronic chips/storage/etc - the second a zoomed in look w/ the 64 GB Toshiba NAND flash memory unit. So unless you want to do this 'difficult' teardown and remove the storage unit, then you might have to put in a BUNCH of random holes - ;)

Also, consider recycling the iPad once you erase the contents as suggested - a couple of months ago, I had a 1 TB spinning HD crash (was for Time Machine BUs) - reformatted w/ higher security settings and then drilled a large hole through the drive - in a box now w/ other electronic recyclables - will drop off at Best Buy in the near future. Dave :)
iPadTeardown1.png
iPadTeardown2.png

Most reactions

Latest posts