What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is the attachment saved in email on ios7

jiarmstrong62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am fairly new to the new generation of IOS platform but I am computer literature and generally would say 'switched on', however I am at a loss to work out how ios Mail works. All I am trying to do is receive an attachment (pdf document) and save it to my iPad (which when I opened the email, at the bottom, it asked me if I wanted to save the attachment, I saved the attachment, yippee). Now the fun starts, How do I now send this attachment (or saved file) onto somebody else's email??? I cannot find anywhere within the email to attach a file or see a paperclip etc. I ten checked on your forum and apparently you cant..WHAT this is 2013! So I give up on the attachment side of things and then want to find the saved pdf file so I can send this file.....Where is the file located???? It is so frustrating, it is easier building a web than using ios mail, who on earth allowed this to be signed off!
Please can anyone help me solve this little problem, else I'm going back to MS and Android
Hopefully thanks in advance
Jerry

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am fairly new to the new generation of IOS platform but I am computer literature and generally would say 'switched on', however I am at a loss to work out how ios Mail works. All I am trying to do is receive an attachment (pdf document) and save it to my iPad (which when I opened the email, at the bottom, it asked me if I wanted to save the attachment, I saved the attachment, yippee). Now the fun starts, How do I now send this attachment (or saved file) onto somebody else's email??? I cannot find anywhere within the email to attach a file or see a paperclip etc. I ten checked on your forum and apparently you cant..WHAT this is 2013! So I give up on the attachment side of things and then want to find the saved pdf file so I can send this file.....Where is the file located???? It is so frustrating, it is easier building a web than using ios mail, who on earth allowed this to be signed off!
Please can anyone help me solve this little problem, else I'm going back to MS and Android
Hopefully thanks in advance
Jerry

An attachment does not get saved from the Mail app - in the sense that you can save an attachment on a computer or laptop. There is no central file system as every app, including Mail, is sandboxes and, by design, cannot connect/interact with another.

Mail does have a quick view option, where you can look at the contents of an attachment. However, with the exception of photos, you'll will have to open another app (that is compatible with the file) in order to keep and view that file outside of the Mail app.

For example, with a PDF file, press and hold it until you get an "open in" pop up. Press that and you should get a list of apps that are able to open and view that file. The act of opening the file, in effect, will "save" it in the app you opened.

To send a file via e-mail, you have to be in the app that contains the file. Most have a way to open the Mail so you can address the e-mail and send it off.

And, if the file is already in your mail as an attachment, you can also forward it on to another.

Hope some of this helps. Let us know.

Marilyn

OP
J

jiarmstrong62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Location of saved attachment.

An attachment does not get saved from the Mail app - in the sense that you can save an attachment on a computer or laptop. There is no central file system as every app, including Mail, is sandboxes and, by design, cannot connect/interact with another.

Mail does have a quick view option, where you can look at the contents of an attachment. However, with the exception of photos, you'll will have to open another app (that is compatible with the file) in order to keep and view that file outside of the Mail app.

For example, with a PDF file, press and hold it until you get an "open in" pop up. Press that and you should get a list of apps that are able to open and view that file. The act of opening the file, in effect, will "save" it in the app you opened.

To send a file via e-mail, you have to be in the app that contains the file. Most have a way to open the Mail so you can address the e-mail and send it off.

And, if the file is already in your mail as an attachment, you can also forward it on to another.

Hope some of this helps. Let us know.

Marilyn

Thank you for your prompt reply, I am getting more accustomed to the way mail works especially as you describe, but do you know where it saves an attachment when it gives you the option at e bottom of the email. I did this with an important email and it has now saved the file but it has also disappeared, is there a location that all attachments go to ? Or can I create a folder that all attachments default into to ?
Regards
Jerry

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, Jerry! Welcome to iPF! After reading your post, I was looking through my emails in the built in Mail app, but couldn't find an option at the bottom of a mail that allows me to save an attachment/email. All I could see was the possibility to download the message, which means that I can see the whole email:
image-2427780645.jpg
The option to save an attachment can be found, if the file is opened, at the top right:
image-2946663312.jpg
It will show you which apps can be used to open/store the attachment. You will find it in the app you chose

To move emails to another folder, use the icons at the top, also right:
image-3465291589.jpg
Tap the folder icon, this will show you the folders of your email account:
image-3249656344.jpg
Choose the folder where you want to store the mail by tapping it.

To find the email you're looking for, you will have to check all your folders. If it wasn't removed completely, it has to be in one of them.

You also have the possibility to create new folders. That is done in the Mail app itself as well.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts