What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where in the world?-discussions

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
That would be the one, yes.

Incidentally, I've been thinking about how we can keep gameplay moving without getting overly complex. How about this?

Noob challenges. 1 hour, then automatically open. Specify whether it's for total noobs or 3 time winners. When setting noob challenges we should keep an eye on the number of people online. There's not much point in setting them if there are only 50 members online. You have to remember that a large percentage of members are on the Dragonvale and Modern Warfare threads and never go anywhere else.

Posts requiring further clues, 1 hour if the poster is online, or has specified a person to handle the challenge in their absence. Two hours if the poster is offline. If no further clues are given, the challenge is declared void, and thrown open. Send me a PM if this happens so that I can delete the voided challenge. If I'm offline and it looks like the thread is going to get messy, ask leelai to do it, but don't bug her too much. She has a life outside iPF.
No clues to be asked for within 1 hour of the challenge being set. People should be encouraged to at least try the challenge as set. We have solved some incredibly difficult ones without clues in the past.

If we get any educators joining in, we should be prepared modify the rules to allow them to fit the game into their classroom schedule. This may mean placing the current challenge in abeyance, and setting one, or allowing them to set one, specifically for the period of time they have available. We'll have to see how that works in practice. 170 people have viewed the thread in the school section, so there is evidently some interest, although there have been no replies.

Looking at the rapidity with which WitW has climbed into the top 10, it will likely get into the top 3 or 4 in pretty short order. If that happens, I would suspect that more people will join in, so we should keep it as user friendly as possible. "Anything Goes" has been running for a year and is only 500 posts in front. Once WitW overtakes that one, there will only be two Dragonvale and one Modern Warfare threads in front. Needless to say, we need to keep our house very much in order as ambassadors for iPF. We are almost certainly turning up in Google searches already.

Any thoughts, give me a shout.

I think that's a great idea.the winner of the current challenge can start it off.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
I think that's a great idea.the winner of the current challenge can start it off.

I guess that's you,Kevin.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The amazing thing about the Dragonvale thread is that it was started by a member who,to this day,only has 2 total posts.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Check out the current challenge in where in the world.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like I've finally found one that has the troops thinking. Clue coming up in about 19 minutes.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just solved Kevin's Where in the world? Challenge.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have about 5 minutes to solve yours then I have to hit the road. Unfortunately, Alberta now has a distracted driving law and it's no longer legal to post to forums, read and write emails, prepare three course meals etc while driving. Sucks, eh?

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
KevinJS said:
I have about 5 minutes to solve yours then I have to hit the road. Unfortunately, Alberta now has a distracted driving law and it's no longer legal to post to forums, read and write emails, prepare three course meals etc while driving. Sucks, eh?

Go thru Montana - the Anything Goes state. :)
AA

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
Go thru Montana - the Anything Goes state. :)
AA

I'd heard that about our neighbors to the south. I used to stay in Butte quite regularly. Not exactly overflowing, population wise, is it?

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I'd heard that about our neighbors to the south. I used to stay in Butte quite regularly. Not exactly overflowing, population wise, is it?

Pretty sparse. My first trip south that way I crossed into Montana at Sweetgrass then went west through Idaho to western Washington state.
I had business at Fairchild Air Force base.

I was surprised by the distance between towns and the light traffic. The busiest stretch was through Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Massive truck stop there and a cold beer case that had to be 100 feet long!

Beautiful country.

AA

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been through Coutts/Sweetgrass many times. Used to head south to Pocatello, then turn off to use Nevada instead of Utah's potholes.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When I lived in Calgary, often we drove to Lethbridge to visit friends. Times were kinder and gentler then and crossing the frontier was about as complicated as
"no sir ... Just staying for the day." That was code for staying about an hour to buy a couple of cases of Coors which at that time was still the real deal and not the licensed swill Molson pushes on us now.
Back then we called it "Colorado Kool-Aid. :)
AA

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup. It's officially adjudicated. Now I'm going back to work.

Most reactions

Latest posts