What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where have you been on a boat?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My best ride was in a 50 sail craft that my friend built.We met up on Quadra Island and sailed north to Desolation Sound.It was Sept and everyone else was headed south. we had the whole place to our selves for 10 days.

Did you try the hiking trail that goes to the lighthouse at the southern tip of Quadra island? When I hiked the trail in the late 1970's, you could still see all the massive stumps from when they logged the island over 100 years ago. You could still see the springboard notches from where the loggers stood when they used hand saws and axes to cut the trees down.

dianne137

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it is Truley phenomenal what those guys did to clear farm land and market timber back in the day.My captain was keen to catch the tide so we didn't spend any time on Quadra after having a brew at the Harriot Bay inn. I just say Ay Ay Captain and do as I'm told.All along the coast if you watch for old fruit trees you can see settlement after an other where people populated and then left.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Back in the day, Quadra Island was entirely denuded of trees. Everything you see is at least 2nd growth forest. When I visited Quadra island was when the naval reserve training vessel I was serving in visited Campbell River. I took the ferry across to Quadra Island. The fare was 25 cents.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yep and every where up the coast you see nothing but bald islands.

I've seen plenty of coastal areas logged in the early 20th century where all the small timber and trash was just left to rot. This greatly inhibited the re-growth of the forest.

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I "officially" learned to sail in a college course taken to satisfy a P.E. credit. We sailed 16-foot sloops out of Annapolis into Chesapeake Bay for the afternoon. The entire rest of the class was girls, who took it to meet boys. That didn't work out all that well for them...but I got to sail for free, surrounded by comely young ladies in bikinis! It's a rotten job, but someone's got to do it...

After college, I trained in 40-foot patrol boats in boot camp, and a 125-foot antique cutter in OCS. But I was never stationed on a ship, though I did hitch an overnight ride on a buoy tender down the Tennessee River.

In the '80s I took up windsurfing, even won a few races. Also whitewater canoeing and kayaking in the Ozarks. We did the six-day Grand Canyon float on big rafts, which I recommend to everyone.

Since then, just a couple of ferries, some halibut fishing in Alaska, and short trips on dive boats for scuba. No big ocean trips.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

lizzieh

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We recently cruised the Norwegian Fjords, stunningly beautiful.

Sent from my iPad 3 using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not especially fond of boats. I took a cruise once in China, and I've sailed with two former boyfriends in California. (They sailed and I mostly read.) I've also been waterskiing on lakes with friends, and taken ferries and day-tour cruises in various parts of the world. The most fun I've had on a boat was in Hong Kong, when friends chartered a party boat for the day, but it was the company that was fun. We also had a boatload of booze, lol.

dianne137

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know co own a pontoon boat.It is a one person rowing vessel that you fly fish by kicking your flippers. I like to ride down rivers after checking the map for bad spots.It doesn't take big white water to thrill me.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know co own a pontoon boat.It is a one person rowing vessel that you fly fish by kicking your flippers. I like to ride down rivers after checking the map for bad spots.It doesn't take big white water to thrill me.

That reminds me of renting these paddle boats in DC: Tidal Basin Paddle Boats at the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, DC

I liked that when the cherry blossoms were out. The trip is brief and there's lots to see around the tidal basin. I mostly don't enjoy boats because the scenery takes so long to change, or doesn't change much at all.

dianne137

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree...It takes forever to get there but it's worth going to places that are boat access only.I am more interested in the land than the sea.My sweetly can spend hours observing the water.He's looking for fish...bugs ,water movement.Loves to figure out where the fish are.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree...It takes forever to get there but it's worth going to places that are boat access only.I am more interested in the land than the sea.My sweetly can spend hours observing the water.He's looking for fish...bugs ,water movement.Loves to figure out where the fish are.

Yes, I hear you. I'm more a landlubber. I've taken a couple of boat trips to go snorkeling, and that was enough for me -- I'd rather walk around an aquarium and look and read the signs, since I don't have the patience for nature to hopefully swim past me and they never wear badges in nature, so I never know what kind of fish they are, lol.

dianne137

iPF Noob
Reaction score
here is a pic of my boat and friends heading out on the Bow River out side of Calgary.

I love to snorrcle but have been spoiled by warm waters off the Yucatan.

image-3873733617.jpg

lizzieh

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OT, i'm coming to Calgary in June

Sent from my iPad 3 using iPF

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That reminds me of renting these paddle boats in DC: Tidal Basin Paddle Boats at the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, DC

I liked that when the cherry blossoms were out. The trip is brief and there's lots to see around the tidal basin. I mostly don't enjoy boats because the scenery takes so long to change, or doesn't change much at all.

the only problem is the TSA strip searches you when you rent a craft in DC. Not for me. They also took away the gun I fish with and it makes me mad.

Most reactions

Latest posts