What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where does Photos app store photos?

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just jailbroke my iPad 1 (iOS 4.3.2) and can connect with WinSCP.

I want to upload some photos... is there a breakdown of where apps keep their files? Specifically, where does Photos app keep the photos!

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try var/mobile/Media/Photos/Thumbs/Fxx

Where xx are sequential numbers. Don't think it's as easy as just dumping stuff in there though!

var/mobile/Media/DCIM is the location for the camera roll, so may be easier to manage manually...

OP
J

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I guess I will have to play around and see what works! If I put them in the DCIM folder, how would I access them from the iPad?

Thanks

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
jsherk said:
Ok, I guess I will have to play around and see what works! If I put them in the DCIM folder, how would I access them from the iPad?

Thanks

Take a screenshot (press home and power together). Then go look for it in the photos app. Then go look for it in a folder under the DCIM folder... Voila!

OP
J

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's pretty cool (the screenshot thing)!

It creates a new folder in the DCIM folder called 100APPLE and puts the screenshot in that folder!

I tried copying some of my pics into that folder and also created a new folder and tried copying pics in their as well, and I even tried renaming them like apple IMG_0002.png but Photos will not recognize them!

I guess the app must have some kind of database and if the photo is not listed in the database then it just ignores it!

OP
J

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you mean the PhotoData folder? I see an .sqlite file in there, so that's probably it!

Thanks

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or, just use ifile. (from Cydia) you can navigate to the picture and press the little blue arrow on the right of the picture. Then scroll to the bottom of the Thingy that pops up and tap "add to camera roll". Then it is saved to your photos and accessible by the photos app.

Attachments

• image-3534471451.png
    image-3534471451.png
    364.9 KB · Views: 624
OP
J

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will give iFile a try and see how it works!

Thanks

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or, just use ifile. (from Cydia) you can navigate to the picture and press the little blue arrow on the right of the picture. Then scroll to the bottom of the Thingy that pops up and tap "add to camera roll". Then it is saved to your photos and accessible by the photos app.

Now where did you ever come up with that word?:D

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, it's official, thingy is what describes anything us females come across that we don't/ can't remember the name of so that you males feel all superior and tell us inferior females what thingy is. You guys fall for it everytime!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, it's official, thingy is what describes anything us females come across that we don't/ can't remember the name of so that you males feel all superior and tell us inferior females what thingy is. You guys fall for it everytime!

Thankyouverymuch. And they do fall for it every.single.time.:D

Most reactions

Latest posts