What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where does copy go?

bazzbozz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has probably been asked before but I didn't see any in my search . . .
I've now asked multiple sources this same question, where does the copy go?
Many have replied, none have been able to answer completely . .
Can anyone tell me where the copy goes and if there is a way to access the file/folder?
Does it take up memory/CPU time if it is not used?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This has probably been asked before but I didn't see any in my search . . .
I've now asked multiple sources this same question, where does the copy go?
Many have replied, none have been able to answer completely . .
Can anyone tell me where the copy goes and if there is a way to access the file/folder?
Does it take up memory/CPU time if it is not used?

Hi, welcome to iPF!

When you copy something, it's saved to the "clipboard" and you're able to paste it somewhere else. As soon as you copy something else, the data you saved first are gone (overwritten). You can't open clipboard like you would open an app or document. When you've saved something to the clipboard, you have to open another document/app,... and paste the latest content there.

It works like this:
You copy something:

image-2358005315.jpg

And paste it somewhere else:

image-61222219.jpg

(In this case I didn't copy the quote to this post.)

I hope this will answer one or two of your questions.

Last edited:
OP
B

bazzbozz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks J.A., first time anyone has explained in totality what actually happens there, and that you are NOT able to access the clipboard. Thanks for the explanation and the visuals!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The usual 'clipboard' feature of most OSs is irritatingly limited, i.e. one item only, then gone w/ the next copy - I've used 'clipboard managers' for many years when I was on PC machines - whether needed depends on how one likes to handled their copies; I usually get along w/ the 'single' choice one - but have THIS ONE on my iPad - a fairly new $2 purchase and have not yet used the app much, but might become more routine for me - Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .I usually get along w/ the 'single' choice one - but have THIS ONE on my iPad - a fairly new $2 purchase and have not yet used the app much, but might become more routine for me - Dave :)

I use Evernote this way. The app you linked to looks like it would save a step or two for this specific use, but I'm not sure that's worth splitting my notes between two apps.

Most reactions

Latest posts