What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do we stand with the Ipad 2 and .srt files?

gfu3043

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been searching threads for the last hour and all I can find is stuff from years ago. Where do we currently stand with this? Are we able to get soft-coded .srt files to play on .mp4 videos on the iPad 2? Thank you all so much for the help.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good question. I'll have a look at the weekend and see if it's possible.

It's unfortunate that VLC didn't make it as an iPad app, because that would have made it easy.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know you can hard code subtitles because I've done it accidentally, but I assume you want to be able to turn them on and off at will. While I'm about it, I'll see if it's possible to have two or more streams for multiple languages.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a quick look around after reading the lead post, and discovered this much. .mp4 does not allow .srt (subtitle) files to be included. There are apps which will grab the .srt file and show the subtitles, if it has the same filename as the .mp4 and is in the same folder. This obviously rules out having multiple .srt files for different languages.

It doesn't look too promising for being able to do it at all on the iPad using the standard Video app, since the favourite container (.mkv), which can contain multiple .srt files) is incompatible with iOS.

OP
G

gfu3043

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the replies, they are very much appreciated. My biggest issue really though is only playing one .srt file (English) per movie since I have trouble hearing the movies without them. Is this able to be done without hard-coding the .srt file? I'd be willing to buy the non-native video app if necessary. Thank you so much for the help.

Edit: Also, is the only way to do it as one file? We can't have and .mp4 file and an .srt file? It has to be just one file?

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look at PavTube's sub forum. He might be able to help out here. There doesn't appear to be much that his software doesn't do regarding video.

OP
G

gfu3043

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a look at PavTube's sub forum. He might be able to help out here. There doesn't appear to be much that his software doesn't do regarding video.
I'm really sorry I'm still pretty new at this but is that software an app or do I have to jailbreak the Ipad or is there and tutorial for his stuff?

OP
G

gfu3043

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the way, there's no free way to do this?

I understad that there might not be, I'm just surprised.

OP
G

gfu3043

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can it be done, though, on the Ipad 2, with 2 separate files, the .mp4 and the .srt?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll see what I can come up with at the weekend. I'm nowhere near my computer system right now, so I can't experiment.

Most reactions