What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where did my Safari bookmarks go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steimey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just noticed after I updated to IOS6, many of my bookmarks did not come thru. I have some, but not all of them. Anyone have any idea, how, or if I can retrieve these?
Thanks

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums. First have you backed up your iPad either via iTunes to a computer or to iCloud. If so there is a good chance to can recover them by syncing either backup. . Hope that helps

OP
S

steimey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had backed it up to ITunes just prior to updating to the new IOS. I will give that a try. Thanks.
Just thought it was odd that some came thru, and others did not. And wasn't sure if anyone else had the same issue.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With any upgrade data can go missing that is why it is essential to back up first iTunes keeps multiple back ups in the computer so one can retrieve older backups if required. My only advice do not back up to both iCloud and iTunes as data can be lost or duplicated.

sbmargo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I woke up this morning to no bookmarks. I did backup, but is was several days ago when I updated to ios 6. So now would I have to restore my iphone to get my bookmarks back? Then I lose all my data since the iTunes sync?

Missoose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had the same problem. My bookmarks made it through the transition to the new OS but I plugged in my ipad last night and now all bookmarks are gone. Not only that but I've tried resaving some and they won't save. Any ideas?

garstongal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sbmargo said:
I woke up this morning to no bookmarks. I did backup, but is was several days ago when I updated to ios 6. So now would I have to restore my iphone to get my bookmarks back? Then I lose all my data since the iTunes sync?

I had the same problem, but a reset sorted it out (holding down the Home and Off buttons) and all my Bookmarks returned!

Missoose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hooray! Resetting worked like a champ and now my bookmarks are back. Any idea why they went away in the first place?

garstongal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Missoose said:
Hooray! Resetting worked like a champ and now my bookmarks are back. Any idea why they went away in the first place?

No idea whatsoever :)
Just another little update glitch...? Glad you got the problem resolved.

sjetkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys. Tonight I used my iPad (and all my bookmarks were there). I put it down for a few minutes, pick up, and every single bookmark gone! I thought it was so strange. First thing I did was type in a Google search "where did my book marks" and I saw an auto fill ending my sentence with "go on iPad". It brought me to this forum where I read a bit and decided to try garstongal's suggestion. It worked and was relieved to see them all there after powering off my iPad and turning it back on a few seconds later. Whew! Thanks garstongal! : )

anniecleo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll take you through all the possibilities of recovering the lost Safari bookmarks.
=> Check for iCloud backup if you have any so that you can restore the bookmarks saved on iCloud.
=> Check for iTunes backup. Download and install the free software "iPhone Backup Extractor" and launch the app. It will automatically search for any backups on your computer.
=> Check for your lost bookmarks in Windows/Users/Contacts folder. There are times when iTunes saves the contacts in this folder.
Hope one of these methods will help you.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input; we always appreciate members helping each other out.

However, this is an old thread. Either the original poster has found the answer elsewhere or has moved on (last post was in Oct 2012).

Therefore, this thread is closed. Thanks for your understanding.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions