What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whenever I type, Safari closes....

BeauBoi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All!
This is my first post here, so I hope it is in the right section. My husband is a communications engineer for the D.O.D., so I usually let him handle problems like this but he is out of state working and this is driving me CRAZY!

Ever since I updated last month (I am always the last to update, for reasons like this..), when I type (particularly when I type fast) Safari will randomly close for no reason! I just have to select Safari for it to open again, and whatever I was typing is still there where I left off, but it is infuriating! It closed 6 times just while I was filling out the registration for this site!

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to fix this? I have tried doing a soft shutdown 7 or 8 times now, and that doesn't seem to help in the least.

Thanks in advance!
Beau

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums, Beau!
There's a bug which affects Safari in iOS 9.2.1 on some iPads. The app crashes repeatedly when using the search bar. The solution is to disable Safari Suggestions and Search Engine Suggestions in Settings - Safari. I hope this will help.

OP
B

BeauBoi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums, Beau!
There's a bug which affects Safari in iOS 9.2.1 on some iPads. The app crashes repeatedly when using the search bar. The solution is to disable Safari Suggestions and Search Engine Suggestions in Settings - Safari. I hope this will help.

J.A.,
Good Morning! Thank you for the reply! I SO appreciate the help! You Are Awesome!
Sincerely,
Beau

OP
B

BeauBoi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok...while I AM tremendously appreciative of the help, apparently that wasn't the fix for my problem.
I made the changes in settings as suggested and rebooted. After I make my thank-you-post, I noticed that I had a reply on one of the forums I belong to and went there to reply. As I typed my reply, Safari crashed more than a dozen times :(
Anymore suggestions?
Thank you,
Beau

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Too bad! I hoped this would solve your problem too.

Here are a few other suggestions:
Clear history and website data in Settings - Safari, then force close the app: double tap the Home button to show the App Switcher, then slide the tumbnail towards the top of the screen.

There's also the possibility to force start your device. Some also call it reboot or reset. I see you've done something like a reboot before. If it wasn't this way, try it:
Press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. As soon as the logo appears, let go of both buttons. The iPad will power up on it's own.

If this doesn't improve Safari's performance, try running it in Private Mode.

Most reactions

Latest posts