What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When to Charge your iPad?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good info. Since you seem to be the battery expert can you tell me what I can do to prevent my Harmony One remote from having another bloated battery? I am pretty faithful to put it back on the charger at the end of the evening and I think it has only been completely dead a couple of times. I keep it pretty cool in my house but the way it sits in the cradle doesn't allow for much distribution of the heat.

I changed it a couple of months ago when I realized it couldn't even keep a charge for 7 hours and it was swollen in size. I find that to be a little unnerving.

Sorry for the minor hijack.

LOL, the last thing I would call myself is an expert.

I have no direct knowledge of the Harmony One, but I am going to hazard a guess you aren't dealing with a Lithium-Ion battery. Based on your description that sounds like a NiMH (Nickle Metal Hydride) battery. Sounds like it is overheating during the charging cycle. Probably because the charging circuit isn't turning off when it hits 100%. You could check that by buying a simple wall outlet meter that shows the amp and watt draw of the device plugged in.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LOL, the last thing I would call myself is an expert.

I have no direct knowledge of the Harmony One, but I am going to hazard a guess you aren't dealing with a Lithium-Ion battery. Based on your description that sounds like a NiMH (Nickle Metal Hydride) battery. Sounds like it is overheating during the charging cycle. Probably because the charging circuit isn't turning off when it hits 100%. You could check that by buying a simple wall outlet meter that shows the amp and watt draw of the device plugged in.

The specs say it has a lit-ion battery.

Logitech Harmony® One Advanced Universal Remote

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Whoa. That means the device has a condition I don't have any experience with. I have never physically seen a Lithium-Ion battery swell before. The specification for Lithium-Ion says that the cell, when it reaches a certain temp or voltage, will trip out and stop charging. Which should be long before any kind of chemical expansion should be able to take place.

Now I want to play with it....

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you read the comments on the amazon replacement battery page:

Amazon.com: Logitech Li-ion Battery for Harmony Remote ONE 880 890 720: Electronics

You will find a number of people reporting swollen batteries.

Anyway thanks for the reply. I was hoping you might know a preventative measure I could take.

That battery looks like it came from an old LG cell phone from about 4 years ago. If you ever find out what causes the swelling, let me know. Because I have no clue what could cause it.

dessipation

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, what would happens if you have an iOS device plugged in all the time? Does that effect battery life in any way?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, what would happens if you have an iOS device plugged in all the time? Does that effect battery life in any way?

That is a loaded question. Technically no, it does not affect the battery life. When an iPhone, or just about any consumer device, hits 100% it starts stage 4 charging. IE it goes into trickle charge when it needs to top off. That charging state probably only comes on once every 6 to 12 hours based on my observations. Now the second you start using the phone, then the phone changes states and won't start charging till you hit around 94 to 96%. In fact if you want to have fun with the battery life percentage, play a game while it is on the charger for about 24 to 30 minutes. Then pull the phone off the charger. It will suddenly drop to a number between 94 and 99. I actually consider that a bug in iOS but it is one I can forgive ;)

Now remember I said "technically no". Here is the other side of the coin. If you don't every once in a while (30 to 60 short charges) deep cycle discharge the device, the battery usage curve becomes very warped and your phone won't be able to properly predict the battery percentage left. The battery is still just fine, but the display is wrong.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since you still seem to be answering questions can you explain how induction charging works? This is actually a little more on topic because I just picked up a new Ipad toy... the Sphero... and it uses induction charging.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since you still seem to be answering questions can you explain how induction charging works? This is actually a little more on topic because I just picked up a new Ipad toy... the Sphero... and it uses induction charging.

I love how they used a low tech solution to make a slick little charging system :)

It is a shame I can't draw here, but lets use the minds eye. Remember your science lessons where they talk about taking a wire and wrapping it around a piece of metal and then hooking the two ends to a large 12V battery? It would cause the metal to become temporarily magnetized. The reason for this is the electricity was flowing in one direction and aligning the ferrite (iron) particles in a nice orderly fashion. Now this electromagnetic energy radiates in a very nice predictable pattern. Both towards the piece of metal that the wire was around but away from it as well. So lets remove the metal piece and we now have a electromagnetic "broadcasting" system.

So if you can transmit it, you can receive it. And there-in-lies the key. You make an exact copy of the first coil then place it next to the original coil with a slight air gap and you have now just created a transformer OR an inductive charging device ;)

The size of the receiving coil determines how much power you can capture from the transmitting coil. How much power you apply to the transmitting coil determines how large the air gap can be.

Last edited:

LoveRem36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a 6 foot extension cord from Apple, I believe in buying their products as they will be top notch. I too keep my
iPad plugged in all the time, I don't have to but if possible, I do. Now I have an iPad 1 64 GB WiFi and a new iPad 3 which arrived
Yesterday and I pre-ordered it from Apple.com and I also ordered another extension cord, tv adapter. Don't ask me how long it
Took to get it up and running........14 hrs.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skull One said:
I love how they used a low tech solution to make a slick little charging system :)

It is a shame I can't draw here, but lets use the minds eye. Remember your science lessons where they talk about taking a wire and wrapping it around a piece of metal and then hooking the two ends to a large 12V battery? It would cause the metal to become temporarily magnetized. The reason for this is the electricity was flowing in one direction and aligning the ferrite (iron) particles in a nice orderly fashion. Now this electromagnetic energy radiates in a very nice predictable pattern. Both towards the piece of metal that the wire was around but away from it as well. So lets remove the metal piece and we now have a electromagnetic "broadcasting" system.

So if you can transmit it, you can receive it. And there-in-lies the key. You make an exact copy of the first coil then place it next to the original coil with a slight air gap and you have now just created a transformer OR an inductive charging device ;)

The size of the receiving coil determines how much power you can capture from the transmitting coil. How much power you apply to the transmitting coil determines how large the air gap can be.

Interesting.

raveneap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup - Smart Chargers. You'll find many references to them on line for various rechargeable items. The difference being, the smart charger will know when to shut itself off when the battery is fully charged while the basic charger will continue to charge which in some instances can harm the unit being charged. In fact some items come with specific warnings concerning this. I'm glad that ipad isn't a problem. Thanks for all of the info.

Last edited:

Ruthie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If we keep our iPads on charge a lot of the time, are they using a lot of electricity? By that I mean are they like a tumble dryer that costs a fortune to use! I've on,y used my iPad for an hour and a half intermittently over the weekend and already it's used 21% of battery, so I thought I might keep it plugged into the charger more. Also, I find the plug gets quite hot while it's charging, is that normal?

L

Lunar

Whoa. That means the device has a condition I don't have any experience with. I have never physically seen a Lithium-Ion battery swell before. The specification for Lithium-Ion says that the cell, when it reaches a certain temp or voltage, will trip out and stop charging. Which should be long before any kind of chemical expansion should be able to take place.

Now I want to play with it....

I have seen a Lithuim-Ion battery explode, and it's not a pretty sight, can be quite dangerous too if someone happens to be close at the time.

Several years ago I was a member of a model Radio Control Plane flying club, and every Sunday morning, we had meets for the purpose of flying our beloved Radio controlled planes...lol. Most if not all, electric model planes use High Power, special Lithium-Ion battery packs, anyway, most of the flyer's had several battery packs, so they would often recharge them using special dedicated chargers usually in the boot of their car. Anyway one Sunday at one of these events, there was an almighty bang and big plumes of smoke & flames coming from one guys car boot (which was open) when the battery pack he was charging litterally blew up. It set fire to items in the boot plus totally wrecking loads of his gear, it even blew a hole through a plywood model stand.

Needless to say his whole boot was in a right mess, the point of the story.. is, these batteries have the potential to be dangerous, though more and more safety features have now been incorporated in them, and is indeed now a strict legal requirement.
Model car and plane batteries are designed to deliver very high currents indeed, unlike the battery in our iPads, but by their chemical design, all lithium-Ion batteries have the potential to be hazardous if faulty, or if they are not charged correctly.

Thankfully, things have moved on, and due to better designed inbuilt safety & monitoring features, and smarter charging designs, lithium-ion batteries are now used everywhere, so it's very rare to hear of problems, certainly with normal domestic devices anyway.

Lithium-Ion batteries can actually be ruined by running it until there is nothing left in it's cells, however this will never happen, as devices like the iPad will shut itself off well before that level is ever reached. ie. They have a optimum minimum/maximum voltage range.
It's best to topup charge your iPad fairly frequently, but though manufacturers claim there is no memory effect with lithium-ion batteries, it's not 100% true, there is still benefits to be had by cycling a lithium-ion battery occasionally. They certainly don't have the dreaded memory effect of batteries of foregone years, but letting your ipad run down, say once every month or two and charging to full again won't do it any harm.

It's worth reading the section near the end of this artical. You may find it interesting.

Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions