What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what's yours called?

So what do you call yours?

• Total voters

insel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Something I've noticed over the years is a difference between Apple and Android users. I'm sure there are many, but I'm going to pick on just one.

I own an Android and very soon an iPad mini 2. I've noticed that the wife refers to her tablet as an IPad and I refer to my current Tablet as a Tab. So I'm thinking that the name of Apple products is iconic with the brand.

I guess with Apple making the hardware and Android being made by everyone else its easier to define an IPad as an IPad and an Android as anything generic.

So what do you call yours?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We only have iPads at home, and they are referred to as iPads.

I'm the only one of my family with an iPhone. My son and daughter use Android smartphones. We talk about theirs as mobile phones, mine is called iPhone. :)

Last edited:

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We have 4 smartphones and 4 tablets in our house. The wife and I both have iPhones, and the kids have Android phones. I have an iPad, and everyone else has Android tablets. I switched from a Nexus 7 about a month ago to an iPad Air, yet I still refer to the iPad as a tablet.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I only have an iPad so I call it that.

I use Android phones and I call them phones. If I had an iPhone, I'd still call it a phone. My choice of phone was carrier dependent. I run a business, so I cannot be on the do-not-call registry. I get 5 or more robo-calls per day, and I didn't want to pay minutes for their advertisements, so I chose a flat-rate carrier - everything unlimited for $50/month.

I've had Mac, Windows, and Atari computers, and I just call them computers, unless I want to refer to a specific one, then I use the model number.

So why do I call the iPad by its proper name, "iPad"? I guess because it's easy. I never thought of calling it a Tab.

I have been computing since the 1980s, and I do notice that Apple people seem more brand-loyal than others. I think you are correct, it's probably because the hardware and software are in the same package by the same manufacturer. Also, Apple has always done things a little proprietary, like lightning instead of USB. I remember SCSI, the weird connection on the bottom of my iPod, and Firewire. I remember floppies with Apple File Exchange so that I could read disks from my PCs on my Mac.

Apple and Windows both have their advantages/disadvantages, and I think we've all gotten over the platform wars. I let the software I want to use the most choose the OS I want to run.

Just thinking out loud.

Bob

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I tend to be specific; iPad, Nexus, Droid, etc. It's habit. I'll use a generic term like tablet (not tab) when I'm speaking about the class of devices in general.

With computers I'll sometimes say PC when I mean Windows, mostly because for a very long time PC meant Windows; even to those of use who did not own Windows computers.

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still call Windows a PC and Macs a Mac. Old school I guess. They are both technically microcomputers, but PC was a name given to IBM microcomputers and later the IBM compatibles (DOS then Windows). It's just an easy way to designate the difference - if someone calls a Mac a PC it doesn't bother me.

I write aftermarket styles for a music program called Band-in-a-Box, and have been doing it since the very early 1990s. When I started I offered the disks (5.5" and 3.25" floppies) in three formats, Atari, IBM and Mac. The Atari disappeared and the IBM turned into Windows/PC on my website, but the Mac is still Mac.

I use a lot of ThinkPad laptops, and IBM no longer makes them, they're completely out of the microcomputer game, so I dropped their name.

Perhaps I could avoid the whole issue and call the iPad Alice or Sue ... nah ... I name my cars, but never my computers, saxophones or guitars.

Bob

OP
insel71

insel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Win laptop is called Alice, but I think I borrowed the idea from the movie Hackers. Points for knowing the female name the Hacker called his computer. Never named my Androids tablets or phones. Too many to name. Mac sounds like a name already. I call my Android a Tab. I guess my iPad will just be pad. Although I'll have so wait a While longer for that.

Last edited:

GadgetGirl01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad, a Nexus 7 tablet and a Nexus 6 phone. My husband has an S4. A phone is a phone and a tablet is a tablet in our house.

Technically, a "Tab" is a Samsung Galaxy tablet. I've had one of those too. I still called it a tablet.

Last edited:
OP
insel71

insel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I've had my Mini 3 for almost a week now. I call it my Pad.

Most reactions