What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your feeling on the Smart Cover, like it or not???

richrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Michael, like you, I will continue to research other cases. I don't care if I end of with two or three as long as I am happy with my final choice haha!

Anyway, other chaps on here have drawn my attention to this one.. And I have to say, I am extremely tempted! It means you have to ditch your smart cover but it has one of it's own built in and it would be a dream to carry around without drawing attention to the fact you have an iPad. Link is here...

Www.portenzo.com

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richrocks said:
Michael, like you, I will continue to research other cases. I don't care if I end of with two or three as long as I am happy with my final choice haha!

Anyway, other chaps on here have drawn my attention to this one.. And I have to say, I am extremely tempted! It means you have to ditch your smart cover but it has one of it's own built in and it would be a dream to carry around without drawing attention to the fact you have an iPad. Link is here...

Www.portenzo.com

Ahhh....elegant solution. I like it.

I think I'll stick with the Smart Cover (I got the navy blue leather one courtesy of Apple, so why not use it?) and rear case/shell combo. So far the idea works nicely, especially if I want to pop the cover off for a while-like when laying in bed or using it on a stand. Again, it's also about keeping everything thin, as I have a very nice, elegant leather portfolio carrying case
([ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv75oIER6k4&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame])
which fits this better than the original iPad with a case/shell on it. I'd love to get a custom art skin (gelaskins, skinit, decalgirl, etc) as that'd guard against scratches and look really cool, but I'd like some protection against drops as well. On the other hand, I DO have insurance...

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

JaiDineshable

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Eventually my decision came down to either a

a)smart cover with an "enhancer" product

pros:smart cover made by apple

cons:expensive

b)Smart cover with Protectors like Bodyguardz on both sides

pros:simple

cons:a hassle to install

c)a case like the pixelskin hd

pros:cheap

cons:non removable cover

But ultimately I chose to wait for the Pixelskin HD as both the front and the rear are intergrated and it seems to be quite thin, and only 49 99 !

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My navy leather cover is showing finger smudges (darkening) where my fingers rest while holding it. Anyone else noticing this? I guess it's just a natural quality of leather. Not going to try cleaning it for now.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
markbnh1 said:
My navy leather cover is showing finger smudges (darkening) where my fingers rest while holding it. Anyone else noticing this? I guess it's just a natural quality of leather. Not going to try cleaning it for now.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

That's common for most leathers. Oils in our skin and sweat do that.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Munchkin52

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had my ipad 2 for a week now, and I absolutely love it. That being said, I HATE the smart cover. Apple did a great job of promoting this little gem...revolutionary idea, great look, BUT personally, I don't find anything Held by magnets trustworthy. This cover is so easily knocked off that it is useless for actually moving around. Plus, the back is not covered.

And yes, the clever trick of turning iPad on and off is convenient, and it feels nice to handle, but the cover itself gets in the way.

It is not secure no matter what everyone says...you cannot trust the magnets to support the weight of the IPad. I have had it literally fall off as I sat with the iPad on my lap. I tried holding the iPad up by this case (over a soft couch cushion), and the cover detached. Apparently, this is a very common problem with the dependence on magnets.

Added to this, folding it as to use as a "tripod" is not easy. I had to study the pictures and work to get it to fold.

It is not strong, so the iPad can be jostled and cover folds under it. Annoying.

Finally, took IPad to art class and as I sat down at the table, marks began appearing on the cover (light blue). I was horrified. I suspect it was pencil or charcoal on the table, but the marks appeared in 4 places and I never set the iPad down on the table. Cover does not clean easily. At home I took a soft sponge and liquid dish detergent and rubbed the marks. The marks are gone, but now I know just how easily the cover marks up.

Cover is in drawer where it will stay. Anyone want a blue one?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Munchkin52 said:
Had my ipad 2 for a week now, and I absolutely love it. That being said, I HATE the smart cover. Apple did a great job of promoting this little gem...revolutionary idea, great look, BUT personally, I don't find anything Held by magnets trustworthy. This cover is so easily knocked off that it is useless for actually moving around. Plus, the back is not covered.

And yes, the clever trick of turning iPad on and off is convenient, and it feels nice to handle, but the cover itself gets in the way.

It is not secure no matter what everyone says...you cannot trust the magnets to support the weight of the IPad. I have had it literally fall off as I sat with the iPad on my lap. I tried holding the iPad up by this case (over a soft couch cushion), and the cover detached. Apparently, this is a very common problem with the dependence on magnets.

Added to this, folding it as to use as a "tripod" is not easy. I had to study the pictures and work to get it to fold.

It is not strong, so the iPad can be jostled and cover folds under it. Annoying.

Finally, took IPad to art class and as I sat down at the table, marks began appearing on the cover (light blue). I was horrified. I suspect it was pencil or charcoal on the table, but the marks appeared in 4 places and I never set the iPad down on the table. Cover does not clean easily. At home I took a soft sponge and liquid dish detergent and rubbed the marks. The marks are gone, but now I know just how easily the cover marks up.

Cover is in drawer where it will stay. Anyone want a blue one?

Blue one? Sure. PM me to let me know what it'd cost to send it and I'll PayPal ya.

Brockly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate it !!!! I think it's made for crack apples/fanboys.

It don't cove the whole iPad

It not going to help if you drop it

It turn off your iPad that will turn off by it's self anyways so why it such a big deal :)

The price is way to much for what you get wait for 2 months and togo a flea market you can pick one up for $5

Sorry for steeping on fanboys toes but that's how I feel :)

richrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Michael and co

My TPU case for the iPad 2 has arrived.

I have to say, overall I DO like it, but Michael is right - it is slightly flimsy on the edge where the home button is. If it was a bit harder and/or tighter it would be perfect in every way.

It works fine with the smart cover too. and it certainly does help in keeping my iPad slim, sleek and portable.

It will certainly be worth it for protecting the back of my iPad 2 at least until my Portenzo case arrives. Oh my god, I hope that will be the last case I will order!

Most reactions

Latest posts