What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with the iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwaldron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I loved my iPad when I first got it, and I still use it for a number of functions. The hardware and interface design are awesome and obviously reflect a lot of innovative thought. It is a great tool to work with. The number of applications is truly staggering, and I've probably spent more than I should trying out the various editors, ToDo managers, etc.

But there is something fundamentally wrong with the application environment design. And I suspect that in the long run this could have a very detrimental affect on the success of the device. As I've used the iPad for at least a half year now I'm being to feel constrained and frustrated. Its taken me a while to put my finger on it but I think I have determined the source of my distress. The apps just don't work well together.

Why? Well there are a number of reasons.
1) Inconsistent and non-standard file formats. As an example the text editors have many differentiating features. This results in the need to store different information in the files. Result: One text editor won't read the other's file format. Of course you could stick with DocsToGo and the more or less standard MS file formats, but then I can't get the features I want, and which I bought the iPad2 to get.
2) This brings us to the next issues. Even if the file formats were consistent, which is the case for photos and video, you can't get there from here. Each applications file storage seems to have walls around it. This I'm sure is for security reasons, but why? I'm the only person using the device and there aren't a million viruses running around for the iPad. Instead I find I have to email files to myself just so I can open them in a different application.
3) Workflow is difficult to track. What with emailing these files all over the place just to open them in a different application, I can't keep track of which is the most current version. This device was supposed to be about collaboration abilities, yet it does everything it can to make that difficult.
4) Wasted storage. All those copies of files represent duplicate/triplicate/... storage demand. What a waste.
5) Some things can't be done on the iPad at all. Every tried renaming a pdf in iBooks. Can't do it. Want to set up groups in your Contacts list. Have to do that off the iPad. No arrow keys or ability to delete to the right. Come on guys, these are bread and butter requirements, not something esoteric.

So what does this all mean? Well it means that the initial euphoria of the neato interface and convenience of a simple to carry device has worn off and now I'm assessing it for the true value it is providing me. I don't play games on this device, I use it at work, and for personal productivty use and for some one-off, non-collaborative functions is it just fine. But it is not currently making the grade in other areas, because I am simply not prepared to jump through the hoops Apple saw fit to roll into this device.

The long and short is I am less and less motivated to pick it up and carry it with me. A day may come when it sits on the desk for a week, at which point it will be buried under a pile of paper and forgotten. Apple, you don't want that to happen, because then I am no longer an Apple evangelist, just a lapsed believer.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand your frustrations, but I feel you should have researched to make sure the iPad would fulfill all of the functions you needed it to do before purchasing one.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can understand what the OP is saying to some extent. There are some "huh?" moments when using the iPad and we've all come across them. Ive only had mine for a few weeks but I could see after some time that there will be things that drive ya nuts. I dont ever expect mine to sit there unused though.

You can only do so much research on a product and quite frankly there are some issues that you simply will not uncover through reviews or tinkering with the tethered iPads at your local Best Buy. You have to own it and have for a while to get the real "deal". As for tablets, it really does work better and have better apps than the competition. Thats what makes it so popular. No doubt that there are face-palms regarding the iPad - its like "why the hell or what the hell???" Mostly though, it does its job and does it well. I dont think it will ever be a complete desktop.laptop replacement though. In order for it to be portable & easy to use, some features and things must be left out.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like I said, I do understand what the OP is saying, what he's saying is true. But I guess I knew, for the most part, what I was buying. Although some of the workarounds are annoying, I put up with them because the iPad still exceeds my expectations and is incredibly useful for the main things I use it for.

OP
K

kwaldron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FYI, I am still using my iPad. Starting to learn how to get around some of these limitations. All apologies to the late Steve Jobs, but he did not get everything right. As brilliant a designer as he was, and it was him that made Apple what it is, some of his statements missed the mark. You do need a stylus for some applications. They should have figured out how to get fine control with a stylus. The Finder and Windows Explorer do serve a purpose, there should have been a similar functionality on the iPad.
With all his mania about control, he did not apply it to the data interchange standards. He should have had a gate in app registration that required compliance with standards, and forced any new data storage format through a standardization process. That or make it clear which apps did not follow the standard published formats and put that on screen in the app store for all to know, before they buy. e.g. An app that needs to store text, handwriting and synced audio should have only one storage format, that is used by all apps doing this. Force the apps to differentiate themselves through superior interface and functionality. So if I find a better app I can move my data to it without loss.
They also should provide APIs to allow extending the core applications data. I would love to be able to tell Contacts/Calendar/Reminders to add a new data field or structure to a contact, calendar item, etc. for my apps use. I'd also like to be able to add external object references so that changes made in any of these apps trigger workflow in my code. And no that is not a contradiction to what I said above. I'd be happy to adhere to a standard for that.
Finally, we should be able to add processes to the system start-up to extend the functionality of the overall system. Since Apple checks all the apps over before approving them this does not constitute a security risk.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand your frustrations, but I feel you should have researched to make sure the iPad would fulfill all of the functions you needed it to do before purchasing one.

Agreed, I would not buy something without proper research. All these things the op just stated are true but with any research of the iPad or knowledge of the iOS operating system would have revealed the ipad would not be ideal in this situation.

altimax98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I totally understand and agree with your frustrations. As an avid android user and lover, I've found the iPad to be incredibly closed and the little things like proper file manager (jail breaking will fix that I know) and being able to edit letters within a word are things I miss. Like you mentioned the proprietary formats some apps use get annoying.....

With all that said, when it comes to tablets (only not phones) iOS has an incredible advantage. The apps are 100% better then those on Android, even 4.0 ICS. Sliding panels are beautiful and something I missed from webOS. There are advantages of both systems. But honestly I haven't looked back to android for tablets since I got my iPad.

- its a required evil in my book lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
K

kwaldron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess what I'm hoping is that if enough of us make enough noise, it won't be a required evil, but rather a temporary evil. I totally agree that iOS has it over android from a number of angles, but that does not mean that Android does not have something to teach Apple.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kwaldron said:
I guess what I'm hoping is that if enough of us make enough noise, it won't be a required evil, but rather a temporary evil. I totally agree that iOS has it over android from a number of angles, but that does not mean that Android does not have something to teach Apple.

I wish this was the case, but making noise in a forum that is not run by apple will not accomplish this goal. Your best bet is to get yourself known and have a pedestal to complain from. They will change when their decisions start hurting them. Let's hope it's not a grave wound like it was for RIM blackberry.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GoPackGo said:

In fairness, reading spec sheets and reviews doesn't provide the full user experience that owning a device for a while can provide. It takes a while to really get the gist of the iPad or an other tablet. I find that the iPad does most of what I personally want but everyone is different. There are also some positive surprises that I've learned about and some disappointments that a spec sheet couldn't have revealed to me.

Just the way it is.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any electronic device has a learning curve. And there are reasons behind much of what Apple did. For example, the big failure of previous tablets, was they made a stylus mandatory. Many bad experiences had to do with lost or problem styluses. Apple wanted to make the iPad a standalone device. That is one of the reasons why the iPad is so closed. Too many times, tablets get accessorized to the point you might as well bought a laptop. Apple was convinced that only marketing the iPad as a simple handheld device, not as the basis of a bunch of components, would emphasis the purpose of it. Apple does not have problems with those who market ways for the expansion of what the iPad is capable of. That is the whole idea of the app store. They just recognize that the more they build into the iPad, the more headaches they will have making needed upgrades. Why not make use of the market forces to do those things for less money.

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with the OP.

I've been hearing great things about the IPad, and in all honesty, I bought one assuming there was a memory slot on it and I also wrongly assumed there was a usb slot. I know a lot here will say I should've looked at the specs, but I've never owned an Apple product and every electronic device I've owned from every other maker of mp3 players, dslr's, netbooks, etc. have at least a usb port and most have memory slots. This is also the first device I have ever owned (since 2003) that I can't just drag and drop items into.

It's no biggy. I make enough money, so I'll be picking up a tool I can actually use that meets the majority of my needs soon enough. Regardless, this IPad's screen is remarkable and it is a great device to watch movies and play simple games on, so I'm sure it will continue to get used for at least those things, and I don't blame Apple for making a product their way. It's just not a very helpful tool for me.

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with the OP. I've been hearing great things about the IPad, and in all honesty, I bought one assuming there was a memory slot on it and I also wrongly assumed there was a usb slot. I know a lot here will say I should've looked at the specs, but I've never owned an Apple product and every electronic device I've owned from every other maker of mp3 players, dslr's, netbooks, etc. have at least a usb port and most have memory slots. This is also the first device I have ever owned (since 2003) that I can't just drag and drop items into. It's no biggy. I make enough money, so I'll be picking up a tool I can actually use that meets the majority of my needs soon enough. Regardless, this IPad's screen is remarkable and it is a great device to watch movies and play simple games on, so I'm sure it will continue to get used for at least those things, and I don't blame Apple for making a product their way. It's just not a very helpful tool for me.
When I buy a car, I don't automatically assume that just because my last car had USB connectivity, the one I'm looking at automatically has it too. I research to make sure it has everything I want. Treat how you buy electronic devices the same way you buy cars/houses/anything else. You get a house inspected for termites before you buy it, right?

Last edited:

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I noticed almost everyone here has had their device a relatively short time. I've had the One and now the three for over two years. I don't email files, I use Dropbox and Goodreader and a few other apps that are integrated with Dropbox and each other for organizing, easy finding of files and suspect with a bit of research can find that they would be happier with their device too. BTW, long long time Windows user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts