What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with the iPad in this photo?

ad42

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a used iPad. The seller has listed it with the following photo. Under what circumstances would the display be all white, save for "no SIM" and the battery indicator? It doesn't seem like something I would expect to see under normal circumstances (I've never owned an iPad, so please excuse my ignorance).

ipd.JPG

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You probably already know that it's possible to change the wallpaper and lock screen look. Mine for example is simply plain black with a bulb hanging down in the middle. It might be as simple as that.
Ask the seller or walk away. The iPad is working from what l can see at the top.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah what Brixtonboy said. I think there's a wallpaper that looks like that you can change wallpaper and lock screen to look the same.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah what Brixtonboy said. I think there's a wallpaper that looks like that you can change wallpaper and lock screen to look the same.
You can use the same or different designs for lock screen and home screen wallpaper on an iOS device. You can change one without changing the other.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is a small 'i' and a settings icon in the bottom right corner. I don't think that would appear without the device being mid some process.

Last edited:

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Umm that's just the Hello Screen as it first turns on. Nothing to be concerned about. What you should be concerned about is whether the previous owners iCloud account has been removed. The ONLY way to be 100% sure is to walk through the setup steps and check the Settings and scroll down to iCloud. If the seller can't or won't let you do that or prove the icloud is removed , walk away.

OP
A

ad42

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for all your thoughts. I can't imagine why anyone would set the wallpaper all white though, so I'm more inclined to go with Brian 244's response. That being the case, I'm going to give the seller a call and see if I can go have a look.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Brian has already answered the question.

But, to eliminate some ongoing confusion, setting the iPad's wallpaper to all white would not result in that lock screen image. A lock screen shows the time and date in large lettering. If the walpaper is dark they are shown as white, but if the wall paper is lighter the iPad is smart enought to display black icons and lettering.

There are some minor differences in possition, icons and other controls that vary between modle and iOS version, but the large time and date have been there since iOS 3 (the first iPad version).

IMG_2400-3.png

IMG_2401-2-2.png

Last edited:

Most reactions