What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats Wrong With My Ipad???

tnb1971

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When Im using my Ipad and go to an app, it will open up, then the screen will go black and go back to the app list page where the game appn is located. Its doing it when I try to go into the app store also. Whats the deal???

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First try closing all background apps. Do this by double tapping the home button. All background apps will appear on bottom bar. Touch and hold any of these icons until they wobble and an x appears in the icon. Close them by tapping the x on each icon. This does not delete the app, it closes it, once complete perform a cold restart by pressing and holding the power button until the power slider appears. Slide the bar to power off. It may take a minute or so if memory is hosed. An activity icon appears in the center of the screen until the unit ultimately powers off. Once powered down restart the unit and see if problem persists.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome. Always prudent to close background apps. It's a flaw I hope apple addresses. They should close instead of dropping to the background unless user specifies move to background.

Glad your ipad is working again.

Edit

Even dumber is that background apps still don't close on a restart of the iPad, they must be manually shut down without exception. . Even windows is intelligent enough to start with no apps loaded unless they are defined as a service to start at boot time or via an icon the startup folder.

Last edited:

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Midranger4 said:
Welcome. Always prudent to close background apps. It's a flaw I hope apple addresses. They should close instead of dropping to the background unless user specifies move to background.

Glad your ipad is working again.

Edit

Even dumber is that background apps still don't close on a restart of the iPad, they must be manually shut down without exception. . Even windows is intelligent enough to start with no apps loaded unless they are defined as a service to start at boot time or via an icon the startup folder.

The thing is that there are Apps that need to continue running, even if just for a short while, like mail (still checking for new mail although you already surf using safari), or the magazine app that still downloads the latest issue, the Office Suit which still saves your precious work.
Well, I am really happy that I do not have all the time the annoying questions if I really want to quit without saving...

Anyway, though being "in the background" the apps MUST NOT be still active (there is something about a certain time they are allowed to, depending on what they are doing, limit being set by Apple) and the "multi tasking dock" does not actually show the apps which are running at the same time, but gives just a possibility to quickly return to a previously used app.

I do not have any issue when leaving the apps "running" in the background but from time to time I clean the multi tasking dock up in order to get a better overview - especially when my 3 YO played around with it.

@Midranger: there are Windows-Tablets out there - nobody gets forced (at least in private) to use such a low-IQ-equipment as I am doing with my Apple products...

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have yet to see an app remove itself from background (I define background on the ipad as being present in the bottom bar when double tapping home button). While the claim that such apps are not actually active is made I believe they do not completely surrender RAM they allocated upon opening. Apps like email poll via fetch or push schedules and need not be kept open or in the background (as I define it) to continue executing these functions as these are tasks performed by the OS.

As evidenced by the OP cluttered memory can cause performance issues and sometimes extreme ones as in this case. I just think it would be better if IOS closed an app when closed by the user unless specifically instructed to do otherwise. A simple feature option on each app with a choice to close the app or move it to the background would alleviate issues of this type. I have seen a number of unusual or unexplained iPad problems resolved by performing the cleanup of background apps.

I don't pretend to be an expert I just know from personal experience that IOS multitasking leaves a bit to be desired.

archerdanny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A solution for i pad

The new iPad gets "rather warm," . For this there is an unique solution and more effective also. We know that ,with the heat concentrated in the lower left hand corner, according to many of the 132 commenters on the 10 page long thread, many suspect either a battery or processor issue.A Genius Bar member told one complainer to only use the charger that comes with the iPad. Also, if you have yet to take the iPad out of the box, using up all the battery before charging the iPad might help ,Do not charge it, use all the battery until it reach 0%, completely dead. Freshly charge the iPad and that should do the trick on the Apple forums. If all of that fails, just take it back to Apple and they replaced it .

http://www.techyv.com/search/node/solution for i pad

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The new iPad gets "rather warm," . For this there is an unique solution and more effective also. We know that ,with the heat concentrated in the lower left hand corner, according to many of the 132 commenters on the 10 page long thread, many suspect either a battery or processor issue.A Genius Bar member told one complainer to only use the charger that comes with the iPad. Also, if you have yet to take the iPad out of the box, using up all the battery before charging the iPad might help ,Do not charge it, use all the battery until it reach 0%, completely dead. Freshly charge the iPad and that should do the trick on the Apple forums. If all of that fails, just take it back to Apple and they replaced it .

http://www.techyv.com/search/node/solution for i pad

Hello archerdanny. Welcome to the Forum. Thank you for contributing this information. But be aware that our forum has a separate sub-forum for the new iPad (see iPad 3). You posted your reply to iPad Forum 1, which does not have battery heating up problems but memory problems and that is what this thread talks about.

To the OP, memory issues are an iPad original problem because of the original hardware. Subsequent iOS upgrades have really taxed the memory of the iPad1 resulting in these work arounds. The new iPad included an upgrade to the iOS from 5.0.1 to 5.1-->this has helped my iPad1 with memory problems. I still have to empty my apps in the task bar. And I clear history in Safari.

Most reactions

Latest posts