1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

What's with the ipad2 box?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by EP2011, Jul 5, 2011.

1. EP2011

EP2011 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Guys, I won an iPad 2 and just got it today - I was disappointed when I got it because the box said ipad - EVERYWHERE - on the front, on the back where the serial number is , etc. and then when I opened it, I was like "hey, these are cameras - IPAD2!!!!!!".

What's the deal with Apple not putting a 2 on the box??? Had I wanted to sell it, I would have sold it as an ipad first gen... LOL...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
  2. bobmcc81

bobmcc81 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Knowing Apple I suspect they want to forget about all hardware versions as soon as possible. I believe they did the same with ipod and Touch. The media tended to tack on the "versions" and "generations"
  3. EP2011

EP2011 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, but if I were out buying one, it would be quite confusing! I'd hate it if all our bread was labled "bread", when in fact there was whole grain, 12 grain, ancient grain, white and oat on the shelf... I think putting a "2" next to the ipad would have been useful. LOL

4. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Since you won an iPad 2 it wouldn't apply to you, but everyone who purchases an iPad can tell the difference in the check they write.
  5. EP2011

EP2011 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah for sure, but even then, how do you know it's an ipad2?? LOL. I just thought it was strange for them not to have put ipad 2 on the box for clarification - even the memory of the unit was printed on the back in very small text - why not put it on the front? 16gb, 32gb, etc...

6. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    My iPad 2 box had a picture of an iPad 2 on the front. Didn't yours?
  7. idave23

idave23 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I'm not so quick to pooh pooh the question raised by the OP. We ordered our first one online and when we got it we had a bit of a time deciding whether it was a version 2 or they had sent us a 1 by mistake. We were buying it for a friend overseas so we didn't want to open the package to find out. In the end we trusted that it was what Apple said it was and all was fine.

And yes, there was a picture of an iPad with a camera on the box. But I gotta tell ya, not having the number 2 anywhere on the box to definitively confirm what was inside made for more than a little consternation.
  8. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    Lol, yup, my ipad2 box also had a very large and clear ipad2 picture on it :)

The photo of the iPad 2 is enough to tell me it's an iPad 2 without the actual number 2 also written on the box. There is a most distinct visual difference between the iPads 1 and 2
  9. EP2011

EP2011 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's a side profile of an ipad on my box, but how am I to tell the difference? My wifes Ipad is black and this one is white - they look the same other than the colour. Still, very strange not to put "2" on the box - the Iphone 4 box has a "4" on it.

10. EP2011

EP2011 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To be quite honest, I thought that small dot was a light sensor - not having a white faced device, it seemed logical if I were to assume a regular iPad was in the box... but if I didn't know the ipad 2 even had a camera, how am I to know what to look for? The fact that the image is of a side-profile makes it very difficult to see anything but the side of the device. Maybe Apple just loves the mystique? LOL

11. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    the general shape and demeanour of the body and profile is completely different. looking for a camera or not on the box isnt easy, but spotting the deep curvy profile is easy :)
  12. idave23

idave23 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Yes, if you were familiar with iPad 1 to begin with. Some of us never owned the first version or saw enough of one to be able to tell the difference based on just looking at the shape. ;)