What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the last movie you saw?

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All is Lost, a Robert Redford one-man show. No one would call this "the feel-good movie of the year," but it's a powerful and quietly tense survival drama about...well...Murphy's Law as it applies to crossing the Pacific in a sailboat, alone.

After decades of films, Redford finally gives the performance we suspected he might have in him.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What, is no one else watching movies anymore? Tonight's library DVD was Nebraska, a father-son road movie starring Bruce Dern. It's arty, funny, poignant, and a little outrageous at times. It won't be much of a spoiler to say there's a happy ending.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What, is no one else watching movies anymore? ....

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm watching movies, all right. I just forget to tell y'all about them! Old age, you know.... ;)

My last movie watched: "The Hundred Yard Journey" and I really enjoyed it. The acting was wonderful - you can almost forget it's a movie.

Not a huge summer blockbuster ... but we'll worth the price of a movie ticket nonetheless.

Marilyn

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
[emoji173] LIFE! One of the best movies I've seen![emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

:) Peace begins with a smile :)
- Mother Teresa.
iPad 2

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
We're catching up on Oscar nominees. Last night, Dallas Buyer's Club. Tonight, American Hustle. Both excellent films. I think DBC should have taken Best Picture instead of 12 Years a Slave.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Lanny, I was wondering who won against DBR? Sometimes I watch the Oscars and have always felt that a movie that SHOULD be picked is
not because some other movie just ekes it into first place. Then the following year a film made by that team, not as good as the year before, yet that team gets picked this year at the Oscar's ( which is the way I have always assumed it worked?
Thanks, Diane.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Diane, I have no special insight into Hollywood. I never watch award shows, nor much of anything else on commercial TV. But I've always assumed that the Oscars are at least as much about politics as art, so you might be right about a film company getting The Big One because the Academy feels guilty, and it's "their turn."

Of course, some years have stiffer competition than others. This last crop seems pretty good, but sometimes all we get are stinkers...and the least-stinky wins. ;)

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Diane, I have no special insight into Hollywood. I never watch award shows, nor much of anything else on commercial TV. But I've always assumed that the Oscars are at least as much about politics as art, so you might be right about a film company getting The Big One because the Academy feels guilty, and it's "their turn."

Of course, some years have stiffer competition than others. This last crop seems pretty good, but sometimes all we get are stinkers...and the least-stinky wins. ;)
So,so true Lanny! Have you seen the Shawshank Redemption? - or The Green Mile? I don't
really know when they came out? Fifty years ago?o_O:cool: I haven't been to see a movie in a theater since I saw Cocoon!
It's too painful to sit there in a theater with spinal injuries. So, I never pay attention to the year! Pretty much, every show with Denzel Washington I've seen I liked. However, the last movie I saw was called " Life " - Netflix and it was just a great movie because the writing was so good! I could be mistaken and it could have been a series? I forget the details or don't pay attention. I never ! watched TV before I broke my back, I was at college in the early 80’s. Students were always telling me that my family was like SNL. Or I would say something and they would start the -do do DOO do of the Twilight Zone, I had NO idea what they were talking about
Then I was laid up for months, watched a lot of PBS and finally got to see old TV shows like those two, and the Thin Man with William Powell! Asta was my favorite character there!
My two all time favorite movies are " The Razor's Edge " with Bill Murray and " Chance the Gardner " . I can't choose between them! Did you see those? ." The Razor's Edge " was the only book Sommerset Maugham wrote that was based on characters he knew! It never, as a movie even got mentioned as far as I know !:rolleyes: :cool: Thanks, Diane.o_O

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen those two prison movies. Both were good, in different ways. I literally cannot remember the last time I went to a movie theater; crying children were bad enough in the old days, but I can only imagine how annoying cell phones must be now. The county library loans DVDs for free, why would I want to subject myself to a theater without a pause button?

I guess my favorite films, the only ones I watch repeatedly, are Blazing Saddles and Life of Brian. Once a class clown, always a class clown...

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a correction to make, the movie is not called Chance the Gardner , it's called " Being There" with Peter Sellers and Shirley MacLaine! It was the last movie he ever made. He died very quickly after that movie. I love Peter Sellers in any movie he's in! This was different though. I think the last scene matches his death in perfect symmetry! :):cool::p:D
What a great movie!
I still like the Razor's Edge with Bill Murray; my all time favorite, but it wasn't accepted by Hollywood, got no press and is now hard to find!:(

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
We wrapped up our 2014 Oscar contenders survey with The Wolf of Wall Street. It's Harold and Kumar, except with more drugs and sex, and not nearly as funny. Don't waste your time on this senseless waste of talent.

Last night, the Ben Stiller "remake" of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, a modern interpretation that seemed a little unsure of where it was going, but was entertaining nonetheless.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany playing the main characters.
Another Oscar nominee who'd have deserved to receive more than the 2 awards that it actually got.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany playing the main characters.
Another Oscar nominee who'd have deserved to receive more than the 2 awards that it actually got.

Oh, indeed! That was a great movie!

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I really liked M&C. I keep hoping for a sequel.

BTW, if you liked that one, check out this:

Hornblower_dvd_cover.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts