What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the GPS thingy?(And a few other equally dumb questions)

artemisblossom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been hearing a lot about the gps feature of the ipad, does this only work in the 3G models? My ipad is wifi only but I wondered if this feature worked, and also whats the mobileme thing? and finally one last question there is an astronomy app (Don't remember which one) that is supposed to be able to tell where you are and show you the stars as you would see them if you went outside and looked up, would this only work with 3g as well?

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The 3G models have a true GPS receiver built in.. Unfortunately the WiFi versions don't. However, if you're in a WiFi area, the system can approximate your location, sometimes quite accurately and sometimes within a mile or so.. It depends on your network.

Mobile Me is a service provided by Apple.. It has mail, calenders, appointments, contacts etc.. Go to me.com for details.

There are a few good astronomy programs.. I like Star Walk. You hold it up to the sky and it shows you the stars that are where you are looking. Seach for 'Star Walk' in the iTuns store. 3G is nice, because the GPS will locate where you are standing and adjust the sky to fit.... But you don't need GPS. You can manually enter your location.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Only Dumb Question Is The One You...

I have been hearing a lot about the gps feature of the ipad, does this only work in the 3G models? My ipad is wifi only but I wondered if this feature worked(1), and also whats the mobileme thing? (2) and finally one last question there is an astronomy app (Don't remember which one) that is supposed to be able to tell where you are and show you the stars as you would see them if you went outside and looked up, would this only work with 3g as well?(3)

...didn't ask!

(1)The 3G Ipad does come with GPS built in. When you are away from a wifi connection, the 3G model has the ability too locate you with a GPS app like Motion GPS. You can download maps while connected via wifi and then travel away from this wifi and your app will continue to track you via GPS. The wifi version of the iPad does not have this ability.

(2)MobileMe is an Apple product that gives you access to cloud computing. You get 10Gigs internet space where you can store files which you can then access with other devices. You get a picture gallery, and an email account. One key selling point is the ability to find a lost iPad. But that feature is now available to anyone with an iPad/iPhone/iTouch Version 4 iOS. I'm not doing justice to MobileMe. It cost US$99.00. I wonder how much it will cost upon renewal time?

(3)I have the StarWalk app. This app allows you to carry a star map of the night sky on your iPad. It has been too cold to use outside since winter has set in early. So I cannot tell you whether this app will interact with the GPS feature of the 3G version ipad. Hopefully someone with better knowledge of this app will chime in with their opinion. I bought this app because someone on this forum really liked it and it was 50% off on Black Friday. I don't remember who that was, so I hope they see your questions and reply back.

OP
A

artemisblossom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your answers. This forum is such a great place to get information and meet friendly knowledgabe people!!!!! I am going to go check out the Star Walk app right now.

Most reactions

Latest posts