What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the difference between the iPad wifi and iPad wifi + 3g?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to apple locking down of the OS you can not just go buy any blue tooth GPS receiver and expect it to work with a Ipad. There are currently 3 external GPS units that will work with an Ipad and they all cost about $100.00 each
If you are jailbroken you can use just about any bluetooth GPS receiver if you use the app BTStack GPS (it's $5). I can get a GPS receiver that will work with this combo for as little as $25.

One advantage to using an external GPS unit is you can position it for to better see the sky.

Michael

dpgipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have stuck with the wifi only versions, I use tethering with my iPhone if I need to have internet where wifi is not avail. The advantage as I see it is cheaper initial cost. Also I don't have a second data plan to contend with :). I have been happy with the tethering so far. When the iPhone finally has 4g capabilities I will gleen that benefit immediately on both my phone and iPad. GPS on my iPad is not a real issue for me. My two cents for what it is worth :)

I was told that if I have a data plan with my iphone3, I can use that data plan through my ipad? or something along those lines?

is this possible?

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Funny, the GPS is accurate enough to give me yardages on a golf course within one yard plus or minus.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have stuck with the wifi only versions, I use tethering with my iPhone if I need to have internet where wifi is not avail. The advantage as I see it is cheaper initial cost. Also I don't have a second data plan to contend with :). I have been happy with the tethering so far. When the iPhone finally has 4g capabilities I will gleen that benefit immediately on both my phone and iPad. GPS on my iPad is not a real issue for me. My two cents for what it is worth :)

I was told that if I have a data plan with my iphone3, I can use that data plan through my ipad? or something along those lines?

is this possible?

IPhone 3G or 3GS? I would contact your service provider as I'm not sure the 3G supports tethering (the term your looking for). Tethering was added to iOS 4.2 for at least the iPhone 4 and I think the 3GS. Again check with your provider and be very clear about the model you have.

=====

Oh got a GNS 5870. The power switch is a finicky as the bad Amazon reviews are saying. Okay to turn on, difficult to shut off (gets a bit easier with practice). Not good for impatient people. Other then that it worked well with my iPad and iPod. Tomorrow im going to hand it off to a kid I trust and let him run around the field with it, see how far away it can get before the connection cuts out.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts