What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the best way to set up appleid account for my staff?

ronwong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am getting 2 ipads for 2 sales staff. What is the best way to set it up?

I was thinking if I use 1 appleid, all the apps will be synchronized and will be the same across all 3 devices (including my own), i should still be able to use different email accounts n each ipad? I am not sure through when I start to sync back to different PC.

Or should I get each to register a seperate appleid? which each will have control of their own apps, but I will have to pay 3 times for each app. Also I am not sure if I am going to use my credit card for all 3 device as staffs usually dont want to use their CC details for company device.

What's the most logical way forward? Please be reminded that these sales staff may not work for long, and they may quit and the devices will be passed to another new guy.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your best bet is to set up the iPads using the same account. That way, you can put apps on each one - after buying only one version of the app.

The user can set up their Mail accounts separately, that won't be a problem. You can sync back to iTunes (same account) with no trouble if you've set up each iPad to have a different name (e.g. Sales1, Sales2, etc.). In fact, you don't have to keep all the apps on each iPad, you can set up the iPads to have different, or less, apps. iTunes will recognize which iPad is loaded and behave accordingly.

This will make your life much easier - especially when (if) they leave. They turn in the iPad, you restore it back to stock to remove their personal stuff (such as mail accounts), you re-load a backup and then give it back out to your new salesperson. Easy peasy!

Hope that helps alleviate some concerns.

Marilyn

OP
R

ronwong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lovely, so it blocks them from installing their own personally apps, unfortunately...I will test it out.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, they can create iTunes accounts for their personal use, at home. That way, you keep the business apps on your account - loading them onto the iPads when you need to.

Then, they keep their personal apps on the iPads. When it comes time to turn in the iPads, they can either delete the apps they bought themselves or you can when you restore them. No matter what, the personal apps will always be theirs - not the business's. So, if they leave, they won't lose the apps they bought.

The hardest part is that, since there will be two accounts for each iPad (the business one and the personal one), is keeping track of the updates. But, that should be no problem. You update the ones for the business, they update their personal ones.

I hope that makes some sense. Let me know if I've just muddied the waters up more.

Marilyn

OP
R

ronwong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes it is getting confusing. I understand that the device can use only 1 active appleid at one time. What I need to understand is how the transistion is.

Example the company id buys app A B C D so I log in to company id on 2 new ipads, both of them will be able to have A B C D, you were saying I can mark the 2 ipad with 2 different names, so that i call them ipad1 and ipad2, so i can have them sync on different pc and ipad1 can have app A B C and ipad2 can have app B C D.

Now the staff personal part comes in, he can after work, log out of the company account, and log into his personal account, in which he bought app E F G. But switching between the personal and company accounts, will affect the apps right? how about the pictures etc which i believe should be local, so it should be accessible on both accounts. How about say company id apps with saved files or documents locally? Like say ibook or say app A when logged in personal account with only app E F G? Yes i am really confused.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you can do all that?

I have 3 seperate accounts and switch between them on the fly. If they leave they can copy the music they own and Apps to their own personal computers.

Keep in mind with ios5 one can syc over the air so makes life easy.

CanopicJar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your best bet is to set up the iPads using the same account. That way, you can put apps on each one - after buying only one version of the app.

The user can set up their Mail accounts separately, that won't be a problem. You can sync back to iTunes (same account) with no trouble if you've set up each iPad to have a different name (e.g. Sales1, Sales2, etc.). In fact, you don't have to keep all the apps on each iPad, you can set up the iPads to have different, or less, apps. iTunes will recognize which iPad is loaded and behave accordingly.

I am a Village Administrator and am getting ready to set up iPads for my 6 council members. I just want to verify... Are you saying that I can use the same iTunes account with all six iPads and then purchase one app to be installed on all 6 iPads? It was my understanding that I needed to purchase 6 copies and then "gift" them out to each iPad...

Thanks,

Travis

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
CanopicJar said:
I am a Village Administrator and am getting ready to set up iPads for my 6 council members. I just want to verify... Are you saying that I can use the same iTunes account with all six iPads and then purchase one app to be installed on all 6 iPads? It was my understanding that I needed to purchase 6 copies and then "gift" them out to each iPad...

Thanks,

Travis

I haven't checked this so I'm prepared to be shot down, but I'm pretty certain the limit is 5 iDevices sharing one Apple ID. If so you may need two IDs which will give you spare capacity should you need it later.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I haven't checked this so I'm prepared to be shot down, but I'm pretty certain the limit is 5 iDevices sharing one Apple ID. If so you may need two IDs which will give you spare capacity should you need it later.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

That's for Apple computers, iDevices are different, I'm pretty sure it's at least 10 and not sure if there is any limit at all.

The Archangel

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks,

Travis

I am not sure, either, about the five devices per Apple ID rule. Hopefully, someone else can chime in with an answer to that question.

To answer yours, yes, if those are not to be personal iPads, as in, they belong to the business (and there is no intention of giving those iPads to the council members - and they'll give them back when they are done), then yes, you can have one app installed on all the iPads. Your IT person will have to recall them every now and then to update the apps (as I wouldn't recommend giving out that particular Apple ID's password). But, should be no problem.

However, you may want to look into Apple's Business Enterprise program. You might get a better deal on apps and such if you go that route...

Marilyn

Most reactions