What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's Better - iPad with 64 GB or 32GB plus AirStash

Sargon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking at options and was wondering whether it is better to buy iPad with 64 GB or iPad with 32GB and use difference to buy AirStash? Ideally I would prefer the 64GB but budget is tight and want to know if overall I am better off witht he AirStash or something else that acts like an easily accessible external storage/hard drive.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sargon said:
Looking at options and was wondering whether it is better to buy iPad with 64 GB or iPad with 32GB and use difference to buy AirStash? Ideally I would prefer the 64GB but budget is tight and want to know if overall I am better off witht he AirStash or something else that acts like an easily accessible external storage/hard drive.

I own both. But, with the air stash you can use more than one card, so in a sense you have unlimited storage. Note, though, that I have close to 32 GB of apps and data, so if I had the 32 I be using the air stash all the time. I like having some flexibility on my iPad. Movies and music will be on the stash. And some types of documents.

OP
Sargon

Sargon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How well does the Airstash work? Is it the same speed as the internal memory or is there a clear difference? Do you work directly to the airstash memory or do you still have transfer the files to iPad before you can use them?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sargon said:
How well does the Airstash work? Is it the same speed as the internal memory or is there a clear difference? Do you work directly to the airstash memory or do you still have transfer the files to iPad before you can use them?

I've only streamed movies and music with it so far. You can't really compare normal storage and it, it just works. Doesn't seem slow or fast...just connect up, get the list of movies or music, click to play. But you don't need to transfer movies and music as they stream.

Edit: I have now used it for PDFs and DOCs. The device works well. I don't see any way to benchmark it, though. Once you attached to it via wifi, you open the Air Stash app....with that you can browser it just like a drive. Open files, play music or movies. GoodReader can open it with out the app, but you must be logged onto it's wifi. Any app that talks WebDAV can see it.

Its speed will depend on what SD card you use. Wise to pick one with good read speeds for streaming to multiple devices.

I like the fact that it is tiny and can be charged in any USB charger. You don't need to carry anything other than what you need to charge other stuff...just make sure it has a usb port on it.

Last edited:

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a 32gb WiFi and a Goflex Satellite 500gb. For me it is the perfect combo. I can store all my media on the Goflex and my wife can connect to it at the same time as me (and she doesn't even have to be watching the same film!). I have not noticed any speed differences at all.

romeosc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 32gb WiFi and a Goflex Satellite 500gb. For me it is the perfect combo. I can store all my media on the Goflex and my wife can connect to it at the same time as me (and she doesn't even have to be watching the same film!). I have not noticed any speed differences at all.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/102906332648189171581/posts/K4dY5NSQpP3 With AirStash, I can read & WRITE to SD cards while traveling! I carry 50+ movies on long trips and download as needed!

Antarctic_iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With AirStash, I can read & WRITE to SD cards while traveling! I carry 50+ movies on long trips and download as needed!

It is possible to download movies from the Airstash to your iPad? (Which can then be deleted from the iPad later if necessary). I ask because the Airstash only has a 5/6 hour battery life and if you watch 2 movies via streaming it's battery will die but if you can download the films to your iPad temporarily (assuming you have the space - I do) - then you can watch for as long as the iPad has battery. Is this possible? If so, where would the movie files be stored?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Antarctic_iPad said:
It is possible to download movies from the Airstash to your iPad? (Which can then be deleted from the iPad later if necessary). I ask because the Airstash only has a 5/6 hour battery life and if you watch 2 movies via streaming it's battery will die but if you can download the films to your iPad temporarily (assuming you have the space - I do) - then you can watch for as long as the iPad has battery. Is this possible? If so, where would the movie files be stored?

I'm a little confused by your question. You are worried about the battery in the air stach for two movies. What about your iPad?

The reason I ask such a question is because it is far easier and quicker to recharge the air stash than the iPad. If you have a way to charge your iPad, you have a way to charge the air stash. You can even keep it on a charger while watching a movie on you iPad. This would work well on a trip where your kid or spouse is watch a movie while you are driving. The air stash can be on charge the entire time.

Yes, you can download a movie from the air stash to the iPad. I am doing one right now and will let you know which apps gets it and how it plays. This feature was added to the app not very long ago. When I first used this feature, it asked me which app was supposed to get the movie. I told it to send it to avplayerhd but it didn't work. Now it does not ask that question it just downloads the movie. So I'm not sure what is going to happen next.

I'm downloading an episode of fringe which is 1.8gb. It takes a while.

Edit: the download finished. It took a long time. It asked to which app to transfer to. I picked avplayerhd. When that app open, it showed a file that was only 143MB, way smaller than the 1.8GB. It would not play.

Then I remembered that the last time I did this I transferred the movie to Goodreader and that worked. So I'm doing it again now to confirm. Iirc, Goodreader uses the built in play on the iPad to play movies. There were two other options in the air stash app to transfer movies too. The default video app is not one of them.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Frankly, what works best is to use Goodreader. It can see your air stash (you have to be on the air stash's wifi) and you can download any file, including movie file into its app space. Then use Goodreader to play the file. If apple were smart, they'd buy Goodreader and make it a default app on ios.

Antarctic_iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a little confused by your question. You are worried about the battery in the air stach for two movies. What about your iPad?

The reason I ask such a question is because it is far easier and quicker to recharge the air stash than the iPad. If you have a way to charge your iPad, you have a way to charge the air stash. You can even keep it on a charger while watching a movie on you iPad. This would work well on a trip where your kid or spouse is watch a movie while you are driving. The air stash can be on charge the entire time.

Yes, you can download a movie from the air stash to the iPad. I am doing one right now and will let you know which apps gets it and how it plays. This feature was added to the app not very long ago. When I first used this feature, it asked me which app was supposed to get the movie. I told it to send it to avplayerhd but it didn't work. Now it does not ask that question it just downloads the movie. So I'm not sure what is going to happen next.

I'm downloading an episode of fringe which is 1.8gb. It takes a while.

Edit: the download finished. It took a long time. It asked to which app to transfer to. I picked avplayerhd. When that app open, it showed a file that was only 143MB, way smaller than the 1.8GB. It would not play.

Then I remembered that the last time I did this I transferred the movie to Goodreader and that worked. So I'm doing it again now to confirm. Iirc, Goodreader uses the built in play on the iPad to play movies. There were two other options in the air stash app to transfer movies too. The default video app is not one of them.

OK, thanks. I asked because it would seem to be better to download the movie in order to watch it to conserve the Airstash's batteries rather than have it running the whole time.

I have Goodreader. Can you use it to watch movie files of most formats that are downloaded into its app space?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Frankly, what works best is to use Goodreader. It can see your air stash (you have to be on the air stash's wifi) and you can download any file, including movie file into its app space. Then use Goodreader to play the file. If apple were smart, they'd buy Goodreader and make it a default app on ios.

dawidbrook

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Storage of your iPad depends according to your usage. If you are requiring high storage then you must go for 64 GB and you don't have to see about the budget. And if you did not need high storage then you need not go for 64 GB, you can go for 32 GB to take care of your budget.

romeosc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, thanks. I asked because it would seem to be better to download the movie in order to watch it to conserve the Airstash's batteries rather than have it running the whole time.

I have Goodreader. Can you use it to watch movie files of most formats that are downloaded into its app space?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I use an AirStash+ all the time. The battery lasts as long as the iPad, and I have an external Incredible11000 just in case! We used on a Tanzanian Safari to stream movies and Pictures while sitting around campfire at night! There were 6 iPads out of the 13 People on Safari. We could copy pictures and backup on my AirStash+ and share the videos and pictures of the days adventures!

We charged IOS devices and Incredible11000 from the Safari vehicles.

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I setup Goodreader to stream video/music that is on my Air Stash? It looks so far that it wants me to download files to the iPad prior to playing anything?
Thanks.
Jeff

romeosc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I setup Goodreader to stream video/music that is on my Air Stash? It looks so far that it wants me to download files to the iPad prior to playing anything?
Thanks.
Jeff

When you click on file .... Use open with dialog to select app

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I must be doing something wrong.
I browse to my AirStash server in GoodReader. I open a folder with a number of media files. I tap on one of them. The only options I see are Go back to previous directory or to Close the window at the top of the window. At the bottom of the window I can Deselect All, Sync, or Download. I can't see a way to just play the file by streaming. This happens whether the files are .m4a's from iTunes, .mp3's, or .mp4's. If I allow it to download the file to the iPad they play fine, but I want to be able to just stream them without downloading.
Thanks.
Jeff

Most reactions

Latest posts