1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

What works in AT&T ipad2 as far as sim in u.s

Discussion in 'iPad Carriers' started by Ducatidark, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Ducatidark

Ducatidark iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello,
    Yes I'm new and while I'm sure this has been asked and answered I didn't see it and would appreciate the help. Can someone tell me if I can use a different carrier other then AT&T in my iPad 2? I'm not traveling outside the U.S anytime soon so it's just to take the place of my AT&T plan and are they plug and play? Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.
  2. MattIM

MattIM Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Hello Ducatidark! Welcome to the forum. You have an AT&T 3g iPad? It is my understanding that sim cards from one carrier to an AT&T 3g iPad is not doable. There are only two official USA carriers: AT&T and Verizon. If you wanted to go from Verizon to AT&T, there are compatibility issues since Verizon uses CDMA technology and AT&T uses another.

I have travelled to England with my wifi+3g Ipad 1 and it accessed the local carrier's services just fine--although I had to get a sim card for that carrier in England, that was a morning's time effort wasted instead of trying to make a beefeater smile.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  3. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Check out T-Mobile. I've read that its speeds are slower than AT&T's, though.