What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what was your first ipad?

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What was your first iPad and how did you feel when you first touched it? As most of you know I just got my first iPad this year in January the Mini 2 and I felt really happy.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My very first iPad was an iPad 2, and it also was my first Apple device. I purchased it five years ago. It's in my possession again, since last year. I had given it to my daughter some time ago. She loved it. Last year, I changed it back for my iPad Air, which she uses now. My iPad 2 has 16 GB of storage, and it's still working without problems.

I had an Android smartphone back then, so I was new to the way Apple worked, and had to find it out by myself, because I didn't know about this forum.
Of course I was happy, too, and also curious, as always, when I get a new device.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I purchased a first generation iPad as soon as it was available. I was the 3G model, so I waited about one month longer than those that got the first wi-fi only iPads.

I already had an iPod Touch, and was using it as a PDA. All I really wanted was for Apple to add 3G, without requiring me to get an iPhone. The iPad, though much larger, was close enough.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Like TP, I had an iPod Touch 2G, which I still use for my music, both in the bedroom hooked to a Sangean clock (w/ the old 30-pin port) and 'on the road' w/ a portable BT speaker & BT headphones.

As to an iPad: 1) iPad 2 in Mar/Apr 2011 (when I joined the forum); and 2) iPad Air 2 in Nov 2014, my current device. If and when the newer iPad Pros are released this year, I will likely purchase one of the intermediate size ones, i.e. 9.7" or maybe the rumored 10.5" (Source) - will go w/ 128 GB and Wi-Fi only, and possibly a KB case?. Dave

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave, I like the idea of a Sangean clock. Could you tell us more, please?

Hi Jupiter. - bought from Amazon in 2012 - found my ordered model on their website - shown below - has the old 30-pin dock for my old iPod Touch which charges the device - if I bought an iPhone or a newer iPod Touch w/ the lightning adapter, then an issue w/ several solutions. Main positive is that the sound is outstanding for a radio of this size; also has an atomic clock which does not change immediately (I have 4 atomic clocks in the house - 2 change overnight w/ DST, the clock takes days to a few weeks but will eventually change, a kitchen Howard Miller wall clock fails to change but looks good and was not cheap - so just change that one manually).

With the iPod, I set the clock app on the device to play for about 2 hrs @ night, then pick some music (have close to 100 hrs of MP3 files of all types) - in the AM, I like to listen to NPR for an hour or so, while checking my email and forums on my iPad Air 2 - NOW, this is in my retirement - :D :cool: Dave

P.S. I'd probably do a 4*/5* rating on Amazon; if you have questions on how to adapt this older model to an iDevice w/ a lightning adapter, then ask away - :)
Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 12.38.35 PM.png

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave, Thanks very much indeed for your detailed description, I think I might just treat myself to one of those. It's just one of those wonderful gadgets I enjoy! I see Sangean have a European website too.

Last edited:

Purler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like TP, I had an iPod Touch 2G, which I still use for my music, both in the bedroom hooked to a Sangean clock (w/ the old 30-pin port) and 'on the road' w/ a portable BT speaker & BT headphones.

As to an iPad: 1) iPad 2 in Mar/Apr 2011 (when I joined the forum); and 2) iPad Air 2 in Nov 2014, my current device. If and when the newer iPad Pros are released this year, I will likely purchase one of the intermediate size ones, i.e. 9.7" or maybe the rumored 10.5" (Source) - will go w/ 128 GB and Wi-Fi only, and possibly a KB case?. Dave

I pre-ordered the iPad as soon as I knew it was on its way and was really excited to receive it in the post. I used it for as long as the iOS was updated for it, then I sold it on eBay, having purchased an iPad Air to take its place. This second iPad froze while we were out of the country on holiday, so no chance to restore it from my backup. Just to get it working again, and after a lot of sweat to get it to turn off, we restored it from my husband's MacBook Pro, so that it was convinced it was his instead of mine! I did restore it after we got home but I never trusted it after that. He has it now, with a LifeProof case I had bought, while I bought an iPad Air 2 from our local John Lewis. So far, we are very happy together BUT it keeps nagging me to log in to the iTunes Store, with an email address that is out of date for that purpose. I had restored it from the backup of my iPad Air and it looks as if its memory is longer than mine is! :D I foresee a visit to the Genius Bar.

Most reactions