What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What version of Safari do I have?

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all.

Just a quick question, can anyone tell me how I can ascertain what version my iPad 2 is using?:eek:

I have looked in Settings and Safari but can not find the "about" button or panel.

Regards

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Just a quick question, can anyone tell me how I can ascertain what version my iPad 2 is using?:eek:

I have looked in Settings and Safari but can not find the "about" button or panel.

Regards

For the About button look in settings>General
Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For clarification:

Safari on the iPad is not the same as Safari on a "regular" computer. It is built into the iOS version you have loaded - there is no other option to have any different version. It's Mobile Safari. Computers can use Safari, but it's a different branch of software, which does come in version numbers.

Which is why you can't find out what version of Safari you have ... you can only know what version of iOS you have (which is accessible by going to Settings as Andrew suggested).

Marilyn

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh dear, I should have read the heading of your post more carefully Janset, sorry:) Thanks to Marilyn I too have now learned that computers can have a version of Safari.
Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, if it's safari on iPad od apple devices I dont know if it has versions or so whatever. Hehe. As long as there's Safari.

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn.

I ask this because I am considering installing LastPass password manager, and every thing I seem to read either refers to versions of Safari, and or, more to the point, installing other things in addition. One that springs to mind is "bookmarklets". If I install the LastPass App from iTunes, do I still have to install Bookmarlets, or do I just install bookmarklets and not have to install LastPass.

I apologize for straying from the original question, but if my question could be answered here then I promise I will be a good boy next time :)

Incidentally, I already have LastPass installed on my Window 7 Ultimate PC.

Regards

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't know anything about LastPass (I use a different password management app). But, from what I see from reading about it in the AppStore, you use the app to browse with, not Safari. And, I believe bookmarklets are needed to open the LastPass app from within Safari.

Hopefully, someone else will be able to help with LastPass. I've got nothing. Sorry. :)

Marilyn

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn.

Now you see my confusion. Later today I will repost this part of my question in a new post so as to get a more "shotgun" result from members who may be using LastPass.

Regards

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your confusion probably stems from there being both an iOS mobile Safari browser and a desktop Safari browser. When the articles you are reading refer to a specific version of Safari they are probably taking about the desktop versions, which come in both Windows and OS X (Mac) flavors as well.

You are probably not limited to using LastPass with Safari on a computer. It's a good bet they also support IE and Chrome, at a minimum.

Some bookmarkletts will work in the iOS version of Safari, but I rather doubt the LastPass one will. The sandboxed nature of iOS does not let password managers integrate with other apps. Most iOS password apps get around this by supplying their own in-app browser. Even my much loved 1Password can't integrate direcly with Safari on my IOS devices. :(

Here is a good thread on what bookmarkletts are, and some links to some of the more useful ones.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/72353-guide-creating-safari-bookmarklets.html#post519309

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn.

I ask this because I am considering installing LastPass password manager, and every thing I seem to read either refers to versions of Safari, and or, more to the point, installing other things in addition. One that springs to mind is "bookmarklets". If I install the LastPass App from iTunes, do I still have to install Bookmarlets, or do I just install bookmarklets and not have to install LastPass.

I apologize for straying from the original question, but if my question could be answered here then I promise I will be a good boy next time :)

Incidentally, I already have LastPass installed on my Window 7 Ultimate PC.

Regards

I use LastPass on iPad and it has always worked with Safari.

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Great input. I have since received a response from LastPass re this matter and they have given me a step by step guide. It appears that when the App is launched from the iPad App I am given access only to my Pass Word Vault. If I then follow their instruction on how to download and install their Bookmarklets from the LastPass site, all will work after the installation and syncing with the desktop via iTunes..

Now all I need is to find the time and access the computer without have to fight the wife for it. ;-)

Regards

Most reactions

Latest posts