What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What version ipad do i have?

Dulcimer42

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to read posts about my particular IPad, but how do I know if I have version 1 or2 or 3? Gifted sait it was 64g

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dulcimer42 said:
I would like to read posts about my particular IPad, but how do I know if I have version 1 or2 or 3? Gifted sait it was 64g

Find your model number in Settings (Go to General and select About) and check it against the model numbers in this list from Apple Support titled "Identifying iPad Models" at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5452.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm stupid or what, but I can't seem to find it in my settings. I would check the lower area of the back of the device (though you may need a magnifying glass!)

Goofy8275

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Dulcimer...I am moving this to the General Discussion section. You can start posting your questions in the related areas rather than in the new member section. That way you'll get more attention and help! :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm stupid or what, but I can't seem to find it in my settings. I would check the lower area of the back of the device (though you may need a magnifying glass!)

Goofy8275

It's under Settings, General, About.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
image-764995289.jpg

Maybe this will help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nope. The serial number matches the back but the model doesn't.

Goofy8275

Yeah, for whatever reason the Model number under about is different. If you don't want to take your case off, or the light print on the back makes you squint painfully (like it does me) there is another place to look; though it's not terribly obvious.

Settings > About > Legal > Regulatory.

Marilyn (Mickey330) pointed this out to me sometime back, so give her any well deserved thanks.

Last edited:

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Yeah, for whatever reason the Model number under about is different. If you don't want to take your case off, or the light print on the back makes you squint painfully (like it does me) there is another place to look; though it's not terribly obvious.

Marilyn (Mickey330) pointed this out to me sometime back, so give her any well deserved thanks.

Thank you, Sensei!

(I learn a lot from your posts.)

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

Just to try to simplify even more given twerppoet's great advice:

Basically if your model is A139x it's an iPad 2. A1430 it's an iPad 3. A1458 it's an iPad 4

Shebow63

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to try to simplify even more given twerppoet's great advice:

Basically if your model is A139x it's an iPad 2. A1430 it's an iPad 3. A1458 it's an iPad 4

Ty for your post. Once I read it, I knew instantly I had an iPad 2. I inherited it from a family member without any manuals or info. I will probably be on this site a lot ☺️!

Most reactions

Latest posts