What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to do??

shafer5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yesterday I bought an Ipad 2 (impulse buy) just because I heard they were sold out everywhere and hard to find. Now I'm trying to decide whether I should keep it or not. In the last two months I've become obsessed with
Apple and their products. I've bought two Ip4's, a macbook pro, and now the ipad 2. Do I really need the ipad 2? What can I do on the ipad that I can't on my phone or macbook? Just trying to justify spending over $500 is all...

Rgsp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I don't know that anyone really "needs" and iPad, or for that matter a cell phone or a laptop. All are conveniences that make our lives more enjoyable. If money is an issue, and $500 could be spent on something that is crucial such as food, shelter, or medications, then no, don't spend it. If the money is not an issue and the iPad give you enjoyment, and will not result in you having to sacrifice, then why not.

An iPad is easier to view the Internet, photos, email, etc than an iPhone. It is more portable than a Macbook Pro. I don't know that there is anything you will be able to do on it that you cant do with one or both of the others, so you have to decide if it is worth it or not for you. To me it is something that falls into the category of discretionary spending. Meaning that this is money I have set aside for pure entertainment and enjoyment purposes.

So you are the best one to decide if you "need" it or not.

OP
S

shafer5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rgsp said:
Well I don't know that anyone really "needs" and iPad, or for that matter a cell phone or a laptop. All are conveniences that make our lives more enjoyable. If money is an issue, and $500 could be spent on something that is crucial such as food, shelter, or medications, then no, don't spend it. If the money is not an issue and the iPad give you enjoyment, and will not result in you having to sacrifice, then why not.

An iPad is easier to view the Internet, photos, email, etc than an iPhone. It is more portable than a Macbook Pro. I don't know that there is anything you will be able to do on it that you cant do with one or both of the others, so you have to decide if it is worth it or not for you. To me it is something that falls into the category of discretionary spending. Meaning that this is money I have set aside for pure entertainment and enjoyment purposes.

So you are the best one to decide if you "need" it or not.

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and opened the iPad. I'm using it now. I have to say I'm quite impressed with it!! Since my wife is in school she probably have the MacBook most of the time. I guess I can use this when she has the MacBook. Beats using the desktop which is a pc!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's not really about what you can do. Let's face it, you can do just about everything on a netbook, if you wanted to badly enough. It's about what is the iPad better at than a MacBook Pro, or an iPhone.

Everytime you consider doing something with MacBook Pro, and decide it's too much trouble to open, start, carry around, ect., that's what an iPad is good for.

Everytime you are using your iPhone and it's too small, that's what an iPad is for.

It isn't necessary. It's just better at some things.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I couldn't have put it better TwerpPoet. My iPad is lighter to read from, those laptops are heavy on your lap, and also to carry around. Easy to slip into a shoulder bag than a laptop. Easier to read than an iPhone, I use iPhone more for phoning, and for when iPad can't be used e.g. 3G access.

cypress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad is just better to have around when ur on the go and sometimes just too lazy to crack open a laptop.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 to twerppoet's comments

All of your extensive pre purchase research should have shown just what he said. I use iPad2 everyday for many, many mundane tasks that could be easily be better handled with my MacBook Pro except that the iPad is there in my hands and the MBP is off in another room, either set up or in a case, and not in my hands.

Watching TV or reading a book and need a quick Google inquiry? iPad. Reading that magazine and want to check price and availability quickly for that fascinating gizmo you just read about? iPad.

Can I watch a movie on my iPhone? Sure the same ones as on my iPad but, where is my magnifying glass?

Show folks my proudest new photos on my iPhone? You are kidding, right?

Books? Yup, the same ones on my iPhone as on my iPad. Now, where did I leave that magnifying glass again? Ditto magazines. Ditto Netflix. Ditto Airstash. Ditto Slingbox.

You did good, you'll enjoy it a lot.

OP
S

shafer5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I posted this thread before I opened my iPad. I really didn't do any research before I bought it either. Thought id try to make a buck off of it. I'm way to in to techy stuff to let an iPad sit on my table unopened! It's complete different experience! My wife has now claimed that she'll be taking it with her everyday to school over the laptop bc of the ease of carrying. Now I just need to find her some good apps that are used in the medical field.

dssxxxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
shafer5 said:
I posted this thread before I opened my iPad. I really didn't do any research before I bought it either. Thought id try to make a buck off of it. I'm way to in to techy stuff to let an iPad sit on my table unopened! It's complete different experience! My wife has now claimed that she'll be taking it with her everyday to school over the laptop bc of the ease of carrying. Now I just need to find her some good apps that are used in the medical field.

There are plenty of medical apps.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is nothing an iPad can do that something like a MacBook pro can't do better, but the iPad2 is just handier, easier to hold while lying in bed etc etc

Dee Ashley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofwags.com
So I am jealous.....he wallks into an Apple store and buys an Ipad2 and wants to know what to do, while there are a few of us waiting.................. for ours to arrive. I'll just bite my tongue and be quiet.

OP
S

shafer5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dee Ashley said:
So I am jealous.....he wallks into an Apple store and buys an Ipad2 and wants to know what to do, while there are a few of us waiting.................. for ours to arrive. I'll just bite my tongue and be quiet.

Actually it was the last one walmart had. I work for a cola company and merchandise. I just happen to walk by the electronics and saw the last one sitting in the case so I snatched it up. Just got lucky is all.

dssxxxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably the wrong thread but AMEX sent me an email that the iPad was reduced from 175,000 points, down to 97,000 points (64GB, WiFi, 3G Verizon). Put the order in and received it in about 10 days.

Most reactions