What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to Do?

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On my iPad4, my photos are in albums, as usual, so no problem. However, when I plug into my PC and look to download a photo, all I get are a load of folders with numbers and cannot find what I am looking for without looking into each folder.

Perhaps I have done something I am unaware of, but don't know how to get the albums back to normal. Any ideas to help get back to normal would be appreciated please.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What you are looking for does not exist.

The Albums you create on the iPad are virtual albums. They don't exist as actual folders, so you can't peak into the iPad and find those folders. The files will be in the main DCIM folder and/or a subfolder. The folder names are assigned by the system, and you have no control over them.

If you synced folders using iTunes, then those folders should exist in the DCIM folder, but again, they wil have whatever names the system gave them.

What you could do is use a third party app like PhotoSync. This would let you browse on the iPad and send the photos you want to the computer over your local wi-fi. There is a free companion app for your computer that you can download from the developer's website. It makes it a bit easier.

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply twerppoet, but it is not what I had hoped for. I have not had this problem before and when previously linking my iPad to my PC and looking in the computer file for the iPad as 'E', when clicked on, it showed to iPad photo folders with the same names they were given. It was therefore easy to go the the right fol;der and copy the shot taken to place on my PC in an appropriate folder. The last time I did this was only a month or so ago, so it has actually changed somehow.???

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All photos are physically kept in the Camera Roll, although when connected to a PC they show in the DCIM folder, the sub-folders there are based on the apps and other factors, which makes it difficult to locate when you have many files.

Back to the iPad, the folders you create and sort your photos into are only for presentation on the iPad, and do not actually contain a copy of the photos - just thumbnails that link back to the original in the Camera Roll.

They did mess around with the Camera Roll a bit when they brought out iOS 8, so much so, that users complained and the old system (with camera roll) was reinstated. Maybe what you saw was prior to the reversion to the classic Camera Roll set-up.

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you dhewston, come to think about it, it may have been before I downloaded iOS8 on the 21st November, as I don't take many photos with the iPad and only recently looked at this again having taken some shots in December. It didn't dawn on me that it would be iOS8. Is there any way to get it back to the original now?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you dhewston, come to think about it, it may have been before I downloaded iOS8 on the 21st November, as I don't take many photos with the iPad and only recently looked at this again having taken some shots in December. It didn't dawn on me that it would be iOS8. Is there any way to get it back to the original now?

What is the exact version of iOS 8? They reverted back around 8.0.2, I think. You may just need to update to the most current version available.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You should have iOS 8.1.2 available. Go to Settings > General > Software Update to see if the new update is available.

However, this was a very minor update. Nothing was changed, just a few minor bugs fixed, some speed improvements for iPad 2 owners, and some security patches (always a few of those in any update).

It won't make any difference in how your Photos app is working.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, the Camera Roll was re-instated back with iOS 8.1 (just checked) so as TP said, it is not the issue in this case. Good to rule out though.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Back to your issue, are the photos in question (the ones in Albums on your iPad), were they taken with the iPad, or imported from elsewhere?

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Photos on the iPad were a combination. There are files of individual models, files for home and otheruses and files for our woodwork porojects. The majority were imported over the last year or so, but a few filkes are shots taken with ther iPad.

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have just managed to download an update for iTunes, as previously I was prevented doing this when I tried downloading the update to my PC. I herefore downloaded the latest iTunes 64 for windows PC and will se if that has anything to do with it.

Most reactions