What Size IPAD should I buy?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by zipur, Mar 15, 2011.

1. zipur

zipur iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    I've looked at and actually downloaded a few apps already (24) waiting for my local store to restock the IPAD. I have 11 Gig of music on my Cowon J3 player. I was planning on getting a 16 G Ipad but now I am worried it may be too small. How much room does a Movie take on Itunes? Does itunes compress music and video? I also want GPS are those maps optimized for size. Just looking for a comment on weather my apps,GPS and a movie or two will fit in 5 gig.
  2. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The 32 gig seems to be very popular
    It's better to have and not need than need it and not have it
    As far as music, though I used to carry lots of gb worth on my phone I didn't listen to over half so I just keep what I use and switch. Same with my Zen music player. I've only got 1 song on this iPad and no desire to put more on.I save my 16 gb for stuff I use

Support Our Troops!!
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
    You read it correctly, iPad and Tapatalk muhahaha! :D
  3. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Depending on whether you watch SD or HD movies will make quite a difference. Yes, movies are compressed and SD ones are about 600-800 MB and HD about 2-3 GB. Clearly this depends on the length of the movie! I guess, if you are able to afford it, the extra storage will always be useful! If you find you’re running out of storage you can’t upgrade, like you could on a PC. It’s that 11 GB of music! Also, if I’m not mistaken (I usually am, as other Forum members can testify!), iOS is resident in the iPad’s main Flash memory area, as are the apps. Anyone know how much iOS takes?

Whatever you decide, you won’t regret purchasing an iPad! It’s addictive and, I’ve found, invaluable in most all applications - business or entertainment!

Have fun - and enjoy your iPad.

Tim
    Scotland
  4. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    Exactly. That is why I went with the 64 wifi and 3G. I know me.:D
  5. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    you can never have too much. having too little is a pain in the ass. as mentioned, 32 gb seems popular.

you can compress movies to your own levels. personally for me, a non HD 2 hour movie (at 1024 pxls) is around 1-1.25 gb.

i have an 8gb Touch, which is always completely blocked for space, just with apps alone. with the ipad i'll personally be going to a 64 gb unit.
  6. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    When my iPad was right out of the box it showed 14.0 usable memory so my guess is the just under 2 gig is the os. It showed on my desktop that the factory apps made it 13.05 before I added anything.
    Doesn't iTunes compress music file sizes? So if the files are 11gb in mp3 format won't they be smaller on iTunes?

Support Our Troops!!
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
    You read it correctly, iPad and Tapatalk muhahaha! :D
  7. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    itunes wont compress anything. you must do that.
  8. jhood2323

jhood2323 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    32 is a must . Just apps alone you looking at 10 gb alone. Come up with the xtra for 32 gb
  9. MerkinMuffley

MerkinMuffley iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My rule when buying a device that I can't add memory to later is to buy it with the maximum already in it. In this case, that'd be 64gb.
  10. mfldmike

mfldmike iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HA...very true. This reminded me of a movie quote...."It's better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool."

I picked up a 32GB WIFI...for me, I don't travel that much and when I do I can use my phone to tether to my iPad. 16GB is a little small for me and why pick up a 3G version when I can use my phone to do it. Although it doesn't have the A-GPS chip in it, I really don't need one anyway...
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  11. donka

donka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    If it's your only IOS device then I would go for the largest capacity you can afford. If you already have an iPhone or Touch then the entry level 16GB may be enough. I have the 32GB iPhone 4 with all my music on it so opted for a 16GB iPad. Got a playlist sync'd with around 3GB of music, around 160 apps and still have about 5GB free which I keep spare for loading up SD movies etc. when I travel. I don't need all my 18GB music library on it since that is all on my iPhone hence why 16GB iPad is more than sufficient.
    I told a colleague to go for the 16GB iPad since she had the iPhone too but she opted for the 32GB iPad. She now admits that she doesn't need it all and should have saved the money and stuck with the 16GB.
    Just be sure what you will use it for - if you are unsure and can afford it then go for the largest capacity. I could afford it but knew I would never need it so opted for the smallest.
  12. eyeojo

eyeojo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are iOS apps bigger (mb wise) than iPhone apps? Trying to figure out if $100 bucks is worth it for only 16GB...I am an active (head in the) cloud man and sync'er so don't mind shuffling data and video around, etc...and like above poster have music already on my omnipresent iPhone4
    Thanks for your input!
  13. donka

donka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    IOS apps and iPhone apps are one in the same. Apps (usually games) specifically for the iPad can potentially be larger than their iPhone counterparts because of the higher res screen and therefore included textures etc. although a lot of iPhone apps now support retina display so the filesizes are even closer.
    A lot of apps are universal and so the same file is used on both iPad & iPhone and for the most part the same application even when not universal is close to the same size on the iPhone & iPad.
  14. eyeojo

eyeojo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yep, should have proofread that- glad you got my point: iPhone v ipad size of iOS. Thanks for your feedback Donka. I don't play games, so will stick to 16gb and invest the rest in a Zune (humor).
  15. zipur

zipur iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    The Zoom is a nice play it has alot of neat features with Artist info/history and the HD radio. And Yes I have tons of music, to address my ever changing modes. I think the 32 will fit my needs

Thanks all.
  16. Rambler358

Rambler358 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    That was definately my plan while waiting in the Best Buy line on launch day. But the 64gb 3g models were all sold out when it came my turn. I wanted it then and not have to wait, so I opted for the 32gb 3g, of which only a couple were left.

Right out of the box my unit was showing 29gb available, which I assume is iOS taking the missing 3gb. Not planning on adding music really, as that's my phone's job. So apps, games, books and videos will likely be my major content stored. I'm hoping the 32gb will be enough for me.
  17. Lifet1me

Lifet1me iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    At LEAST 32GB

Ill go for 64 GB.

Reason? Well the most games coming out will change from like flash games, to like real games, they will become more complicated, alot better in graphics and a hell lot of 3D games will show up in the future.

And 3D Games on IPad 1/IPhone are 550MB - 700MB Size, which arent made of much playtime, but those will come, games with up to 2 gb of memory i bet. And THAT takes your 32GB down real quick.
  18. SporkLover

SporkLover iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    9.5 Inches x 7.30 Inches.........

On a more serious note.... Answer yourself a few questions:

1. How much music are you going to put on it (are you really going to load 11gb on it.... iPad is impractical as a portable music player)

2. How many Apps are you going to load on it?

3. How many movies are you going to load on it?

4. What are you going to use it for?

For me, I went initially with a 32GB iPad, which was great. I wanted it for some music (less than GB), mostly movies, and limited apps. I needed it for movies because I am often on planes for more than 8 hours at a time. I found that 32GB was actually barely enough to serve my portable media needs for longer than week trips overseas, so when I bought my iPad 2 I went with the 64GB. Really a great deal since the incremental cost increase was only $100
  19. Larry Hitchens

Larry Hitchens iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's something you might want to look at a device called AIRSTASH
    at airstash.com. Basically its a $100 device that connects to the IPAD via wifi (NOT BLUETOOTH) and you put in memory cards as many as you want and store your information on the card not on the IPAD device therefore you do not need a lot of ipad storage capacity and you can use as many cards as you want with the airstash, so maybe storing your music on one card and movies on another card etc etc
    Larry hitch@goeaston.net:)
  20. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Don't forget the option of streaming from your desktop/laptop using AirVideo. It works remarkably well and saves so much storage space.