What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Size IPAD should I buy?

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've looked at and actually downloaded a few apps already (24) waiting for my local store to restock the IPAD. I have 11 Gig of music on my Cowon J3 player. I was planning on getting a 16 G Ipad but now I am worried it may be too small. How much room does a Movie take on Itunes? Does itunes compress music and video? I also want GPS are those maps optimized for size. Just looking for a comment on weather my apps,GPS and a movie or two will fit in 5 gig.

Reaction score
The 32 gig seems to be very popular
It's better to have and not need than need it and not have it
As far as music, though I used to carry lots of gb worth on my phone I didn't listen to over half so I just keep what I use and switch. Same with my Zen music player. I've only got 1 song on this iPad and no desire to put more on.I save my 16 gb for stuff I use

Support Our Troops!!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
You read it correctly, iPad and Tapatalk muhahaha! :D

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've looked at and actually downloaded a few apps already (24) waiting for my local store to restock the IPAD. I have 11 Gig of music on my Cowon J3 player. I was planning on getting a 16 G Ipad but now I am worried it may be too small. How much room does a Movie take on Itunes? Does itunes compress music and video? I also want GPS are those maps optimized for size. Just looking for a comment on weather my apps,GPS and a movie or two will fit in 5 gig.

Depending on whether you watch SD or HD movies will make quite a difference. Yes, movies are compressed and SD ones are about 600-800 MB and HD about 2-3 GB. Clearly this depends on the length of the movie! I guess, if you are able to afford it, the extra storage will always be useful! If you find you’re running out of storage you can’t upgrade, like you could on a PC. It’s that 11 GB of music! Also, if I’m not mistaken (I usually am, as other Forum members can testify!), iOS is resident in the iPad’s main Flash memory area, as are the apps. Anyone know how much iOS takes?

Whatever you decide, you won’t regret purchasing an iPad! It’s addictive and, I’ve found, invaluable in most all applications - business or entertainment!

Have fun - and enjoy your iPad.

Tim
Scotland

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
you can never have too much. having too little is a pain in the ass. as mentioned, 32 gb seems popular.

you can compress movies to your own levels. personally for me, a non HD 2 hour movie (at 1024 pxls) is around 1-1.25 gb.

i have an 8gb Touch, which is always completely blocked for space, just with apps alone. with the ipad i'll personally be going to a 64 gb unit.

Reaction score

Depending on whether you watch SD or HD movies will make quite a difference. Yes, movies are compressed and SD ones are about 600-800 MB and HD about 2-3 GB. Clearly this depends on the length of the movie! I guess, if you are able to afford it, the extra storage will always be useful! If you find youÂ’re running out of storage you canÂ’t upgrade, like you could on a PC. ItÂ’s that 11 GB of music! Also, if IÂ’m not mistaken (I usually am, as other Forum members can testify!), iOS is resident in the iPadÂ’s main Flash memory area, as are the apps. Anyone know how much iOS takes?

Whatever you decide, you wonÂ’t regret purchasing an iPad! ItÂ’s addictive and, IÂ’ve found, invaluable in most all applications - business or entertainment!

Have fun - and enjoy your iPad.

Tim
Scotland

When my iPad was right out of the box it showed 14.0 usable memory so my guess is the just under 2 gig is the os. It showed on my desktop that the factory apps made it 13.05 before I added anything.
Doesn't iTunes compress music file sizes? So if the files are 11gb in mp3 format won't they be smaller on iTunes?

Support Our Troops!!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
You read it correctly, iPad and Tapatalk muhahaha! :D

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
32 is a must . Just apps alone you looking at 10 gb alone. Come up with the xtra for 32 gb

mfldmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's better to have and not need than need it and not have it

HA...very true. This reminded me of a movie quote...."It's better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool."

I picked up a 32GB WIFI...for me, I don't travel that much and when I do I can use my phone to tether to my iPad. 16GB is a little small for me and why pick up a 3G version when I can use my phone to do it. Although it doesn't have the A-GPS chip in it, I really don't need one anyway...

Last edited:

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If it's your only IOS device then I would go for the largest capacity you can afford. If you already have an iPhone or Touch then the entry level 16GB may be enough. I have the 32GB iPhone 4 with all my music on it so opted for a 16GB iPad. Got a playlist sync'd with around 3GB of music, around 160 apps and still have about 5GB free which I keep spare for loading up SD movies etc. when I travel. I don't need all my 18GB music library on it since that is all on my iPhone hence why 16GB iPad is more than sufficient.
I told a colleague to go for the 16GB iPad since she had the iPhone too but she opted for the 32GB iPad. She now admits that she doesn't need it all and should have saved the money and stuck with the 16GB.
Just be sure what you will use it for - if you are unsure and can afford it then go for the largest capacity. I could afford it but knew I would never need it so opted for the smallest.

eyeojo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are iOS apps bigger (mb wise) than iPhone apps? Trying to figure out if $100 bucks is worth it for only 16GB...I am an active (head in the) cloud man and sync'er so don't mind shuffling data and video around, etc...and like above poster have music already on my omnipresent iPhone4
Thanks for your input!

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IOS apps and iPhone apps are one in the same. Apps (usually games) specifically for the iPad can potentially be larger than their iPhone counterparts because of the higher res screen and therefore included textures etc. although a lot of iPhone apps now support retina display so the filesizes are even closer.
A lot of apps are universal and so the same file is used on both iPad & iPhone and for the most part the same application even when not universal is close to the same size on the iPhone & iPad.

eyeojo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
donka said:
IOS apps and iPhone apps are one in the same. Apps (usually games) specifically for the iPad can potentially be larger than their iPhone counterparts because of the higher res screen and therefore included textures etc. although a lot of iPhone apps now support retina display so the filesizes are even closer.
A lot of apps are universal and so the same file is used on both iPad & iPhone and for the most part the same application even when not universal is close to the same size on the iPhone & iPad.

Yep, should have proofread that- glad you got my point: iPhone v ipad size of iOS. Thanks for your feedback Donka. I don't play games, so will stick to 16gb and invest the rest in a Zune (humor).

OP
zipur

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Zoom is a nice play it has alot of neat features with Artist info/history and the HD radio. And Yes I have tons of music, to address my ever changing modes. I think the 32 will fit my needs

Thanks all.

Most reactions

Latest posts