What screen resolution do you want?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Basementscientist, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Basementscientist

Basementscientist iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you could pick the screen resolution of the Ipad3, what would it be?
  2. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    1920x1500 I think that will keep the current aspect ratio.
  3. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    1920x1440 will support 1080p video. However, it may be easier for Apple to go to 2048x1536. The problem with 1920x1440 is that is harder for the current apps to be ported over to a new size unless they can rescaled easily. With a quadrupled resolution, it is supposedly a lot easier. Even so, most of the apps would have to be updated or run in some mode like the iPhone apps were done for the iPad until everyone began issueing new apps designed for the resolution.
  4. wytey

wytey iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    problem is, the higher the resolution, the smaller the text etc is going to be, unless they increase the screen size, or increase the font size

if they are staying with the same screen size, then i say stay with the same resolution, i don't want to carry a magnifying glass with me also
  5. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    Double resolution and double scale the OS exactly as they did with iPhone4. :)
  6. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    4:3 @ 1280 x 960 would be just dandy for me :)
  7. Seadog

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    The usual pixal arrays for 4:3 screens are:
    XGA - 1024x768
    *?* - 1280x960
    SXGA+ - 1400x1050
    UXGA - 1600x1200
    QXGA - 2048x 1536
    These are the common display resolutions that would be the likely ones for Apple to go to. The cost and reliability of the more concentrated resolutions has to be weighed against the difficulties the app designers would have, and the perceived benefits.
  8. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    I don't know, sometimes you get really technical about things and it kinda ruins the thread. Like the thread "why Steve jobs flash explanation doesn't make sense". It's great that you have so much knowledge to share, it just feels like overload for the topic.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  9. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0

This was said very respectfully and stated what you feel in a very nice way.

I am proud of you Young One.:)
  10. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I'd be happy with 1280 with the current ratio.

If they go to a larger screen people will want to run multiple apps on screen at once and try to emulate current desktop behaviour.
    This would only destroy it's advantages of being small, light and fast.
  11. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Well thank you! I am not trying to be mean. I am getting much better.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  12. Seadog

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    I do not mean to bore, but when I express my general knowledge, I have been called for not being specific. I like learning more about my world around me. I have six decades of being amazed at what is out there.
  13. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    I know. I said it's great that you know so much, it is just overload.
  14. madhatter61

madhatter61 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I find this thread and many others so lacking of what it takes to support these so-called wants and desires. One of the things that has made Apple so successful in their last three major product launches ... iPod, iPhone, and now iPad. Apple didn't invent mp3 players, or smart phones, or even tablet computers. But they sure did revolutionized the markets and run away from the competition in each category. Why ... Because they paid attention to the core issues ... created superbly crafted hardware ... supported that software with outstanding software ... then provided all the support to make it all work and grow.

Now really, how many owners of the 30 million iPad sold to date think the display is lacking? I certain don't ... I think it is gorgeous.
  15. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    Me too! I couldn't figure out what they could possibly to do make it better than it is ~ but I guess they can...
  16. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I really don't see the point of anything higher than what we have now honestly. If iOS allowed for multiple windows to be displayed at the same time then resolution would be a big deal. Right now it seems like everything displays pretty well at the current resolution. I guess if the iPad becomes a serious photo editing tool then higher resolutions would be required, but until that time I am happy where we are now.
  17. Seadog

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    The market is being told that higher res is the thing. I agree that the iPad is gorgeous as is, but as much as Apple is making of their iPhone screens, everyone expects more. It won't affect the screen attributes very much, but for some people it will be essential. At least in their minds.
  18. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    that's certainly true, but the majority of us out here cant back up and support our wants technically because we dont know how and have the knowledge. and does it matter? this forum is for all of us, not just those few in the technical know-how.

i've mentioned 1280x960 as my idea size as thats a res i deal with a lot in my work, and i certainly cant see the advantage (for me) for a double size or retina display. but in essence i completely agree with the last comments - it's pretty brilliant the way it is. im not really complaining :)
  19. ipfuser653

ipfuser653 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    1280x960 would be nice as that way it would support the basic HD resolution. Apart from that I'm not sure a higher resolution would be worth it, if only for the extra processing power it would require. I like my 10+ hour battery life, and as higher res screens eat more power it could be difficult to keep the battery life we see now.
  20. Neon01

Neon01 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd definitely like something a good deal higher than the current 1024x768, but as I'm a frequent portrait user for e-reading, I certainly want the aspect ratio maintained.

I'd love to see it happen, but I think doubled resolution (like what happened with the Iphone 4) is unrealistic for a couple reasons:

1. those displays can't be cheap to manufacture - the retina has one of the highest pixel densities of any display out there, and it's only affordable because of it's size. Consider that IPS displays capable of 2048x1536 res of any size run $600-700 at an absolute minimum (though different AR), and that baking those specs into a display that's only 10 inches is probably going only going to increase cost. I just can't see it being affordable enough to put in a mainstream tablet that's going to see a LOT of downward price pressure from emerging Android tablets in the next year or so.

2. Dramatically increasing resolution like that requires a commensurate increase in processing power and energy storage capacity. Even modern $300 video cards that draw 100 watts or more have some difficulty running games at comparable resolutions. Granted, 3d apps on the ipad3 probably won't be as graphically demanding, but suffice to say that hardware would need a serious shot in the arm to support that display.

I think a more modest increase to the standard 1280 res might be more realistic unless Apple is planning on bifurcating their tablet market into a "premium" market and a standard market. Naturally, that wouldn't make much sense either.

Just my 2c