What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What purpose adding Goodreader ?

wtcoppersmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have good Word processing, spreadsheet, and presentations software on my iPad; I can print easily since I have an "Air printer" plus I find that using iTunes to transfer files via USB connection is a breeze. Also I use Dropbox as my cloud and that works well too. So what would the App "Goodreader" really add to the functionality of my iPad ? I notice that Goodreader gets very good reviews but I just can't understand what it would add to my current setup.

Bimjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Goodreader is used by most folks primarily to handle PDF files.

I'll use it to highlight sections of text in a training manual so I can skip directly from highlight-to-highlight during reviews before a test (I'm an instructor). Goodreader gives me several options for the skips, so after I play a bit I'll pick the best one and go with it.

No idea how everyone else is using it.

VitaW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a study publication that I use on a weekly basis and I hilight, mark, and take notes in it. Goodreader is one of my favorite programs.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's the 'Swiss Army Knife' for the iPad and it can store files all together and in folders - or however you want them - and can transfer files to and from your PC using either WiFi or USB without the need for iTunes. It's built in web-browser can download files too, something that Safari doesn't offer - except for PDF format. From within GoodReader you can open those files in any app that supports that type of file. Having said that, though, when a compatible app does open that file it makes a local copy that it works on, so the original copy in GoodReader is left untouched. If you want to store the modified file in GoodReader you have to transfer it back there by some means.

GoodReader can also attach several files to an email and then send them using the iPad's native Mail app - something you can't do from within Mail itself. It also gives you the opportunity to annotate PDF files and save the resulting file so that it can be read on a PC or Mac.

Tim

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I'm at school, I use Goodreader to read, highlight and mark-up PDF files. I've taken PowerPoint slides, saved them as PDFs and then used them in class to go along with the teacher's lecture, highlighting and annotating as needed. Goodreader also allows you to save the highlighted PDFs in such a way that any other PDF reader can read/view the annotations.

I also like its folder organization. I can put documents into sub-folders so that I can go right to a certain class's notes.

Plus, you can download anything into the app, even stuff it can't open natively (e.g. epub files). Then, I can choose the "Open In..." function to open the item Goodreader can't. But, the item can still stay in a nice, neat folder within Goodreader.

Organization. That's what I like most about Goodreader.

Marilyn

P.S. Essentially, what Tim said! He just types faster than I. Oh, and Tim, hope you don't mind, but I've "stolen" your Swiss Army knife analogy for use elsewhere. It's a perfect description of Goodreader...

Last edited:

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have it along with 'PDF Expert' and thus far they just sit there. I'll read the User Guide(s) during long flights, as any other time I'm simply too lazy. I have no idea if I'll really need them but I do have a ton of pdf files. Based on reviews, I'm sure that 'Goodreader' would have been my first choice.

Most reactions

Latest posts