What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What photo editing app do you use and why?

sch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Simon - I like black and white photography.... I really like your B&W work on your website! You have real skills.......

Bremen, thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you like my work!

Ciao,

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded Photogene, it seems great for the money. VERY excellent reviews, I've edited a few photos and they look great.

But where did you see that they are going to maybe add red eye removal? I didn't see that in the description.

sch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded Photogene, it seems great for the money. VERY excellent reviews, I've edited a few photos and they look great.

But where did you see that they are going to maybe add red eye removal? I didn't see that in the description.

Matth3w,

Look at the "I" (info) and one of the FAQs is about red eye correction.

Cheers,

sch

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Matth3w,

Look at the "I" (info) icon (top right) and one of the FAQs is about red eye correction.

Cheers,

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Simon, I bought a simple PnS Canon 780IS...mainly for the portability. Do you think it will take decent shots for the average user? I know that it isn't the BEST, but before I was using a PS S70 and it was just too big with a bunch of features I rarely used.

I am going to Germany and I thought it would fit in my pocket nicely...I don't take many pictures before because I didn't have a good portable camera.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Matth3w,

Look at the "I" (info) and one of the FAQs is about red eye correction.

Cheers,
Great, thanks!

sch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Simon, I bought a simple PnS Canon 780IS...mainly for the portability. Do you think it will take decent shots for the average user? I know that it isn't the BEST, but before I was using a PS S70 and it was just too big with a bunch of features I rarely used.

I am going to Germany and I thought it would fit in my pocket nicely...I don't take many pictures before because I didn't have a good portable camera.

I'm not familiar with that camera. These days, I'm predominantly using my Micro 4/3s cameras. For PnS, I have the Panny ZS3 and Sony TZ7 cameras.

For more detail on what and how I shoot, check out my FAQ:

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any specific questions, however, I'll try to answer them.

Bottom line is that you can take good pictures with almost any camera. It's mostly about composition and light. What any specific camera brings to the equation is more a feature set to make this or that easier, faster etc.

Cheers,

sch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like it will do the job. The most important thing with the small sensor cameras is to use the lowest ISO you can to avoid luminance and even worse chrominance noise. Best bet is to get yourself a small tripod (a Gorillapod, for example) and use it when the light is low. Another option is to get (or make) a small beanbag that you can keep in a pocket. They are great for stabilizing your camera in all manner of places.

Personally, I prefer a wider lens, but these days, you can always take a few shots and then stitch them for a wider view.

Cheers,

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well if I am just touring Germany for example I might not have access to a tripod...so just put it on the lowest ISO? How do you know if the ISO is TOO low? And how do you stabilize with a beanbag? You mean just set the camera on it?

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So basically, say I am shooting a picture of my car...and it is midday...I should shoot at ISO400 or below if I can? So the picture will come out darker though, no? Also are lower ISO make the camera take longer to take a picture, right?

sch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That camera has a low ISO of 80 (although I suspect the base ISO is 100). Almost any small sensor camera will start to degrade as you get above the base ISO and certainly above 400 or maybe 800. You can usually set it up on Auto ISO so that the highest chosen ISO would be, say 800. That should give you the best results without worrying overly. On the other hand, I don't worry about raising ISO above that if I am going to PP to B&W... I like a grainy B&W effect.

For the beanbag, yeah just kind of nestle the camera into it for added support and stability. What you're doing is just trying to remove any camera shake. Take a look at the small Gorillapods though... They're smaller than you think and they wrap around things for a very versatile mount. For really low light work, use the tripod and set the camera to self timer to take the shot (so you're not touching it).

Cheers,

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice...

Btw .. Photogene just updated today with red eye correction :)

Most reactions