What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What phone should I get to use with ipad?

RedsFan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm due for a phone upgrade through Verizon and would love your feedback. I'd like to get a phone that I can use with my 3G ipad as a wifi hotspot. Not really eager to jailbreak the ipad at this point and I'm trying to find a way around paying over and above the unlimited data plan I already have (seems like their trying to double-dip to me). I figure if I have to pay extra for that, I might as well use AT&T's plan. Suggestions?

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe all the major smartphone OSs have wifi hotspot apps available... WM certainly, Android, webOS, I think RIM/BB as well... I use WM's WiFiRouter with the ipad...

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are only two options that I know of to do it for free on verizon.

1. Buy a stock palm phone. The Pre and the Pixi both come with 3G mobile hotspot for free.

2. Get one of the droid branded phones. Moto Droid, Droid Incredible, etc can be rooted to allow wireless tethering for free.

Verizon will want to charge you to use an Android phone as a wifi hotspot once Android 2.2 is released. One thing to keep in mind. The Droid X has the capability to tether wirelessly but Motorola has blocked users from rooting it so you would have to pay to tether. Hope that helps!

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I read elsewhere that the droid x has not been blocked from rooting. The fuse chip was apparently for another purpose.

This won't help you, but I just got verizon's Elixim phone since my iPad is a 3G. I'm hoping it's camera can fill the gap where the iPad is lacking. With pict message transfer to Photobucket, I don't even need a data plan!

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't mind rooting a android phone (be sure it can be rooted first) then you can use wifi tether (I use it will my rooted G1 and it's stable and fast).

Also be careful as a lot of carriers charge extra for phones that allow wifi hotspots (froyo 2.2 supports this).

What carrier do you currently have?

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my Verizon HTC Touch Pro 2 (Windows Mobile) with the XDA Tom Codon wifi Internet sharing. Works well, free, stealth (I.e. Verizon doesn't charge you because they don't know it is happening).

MERKTT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm due for a phone upgrade through Verizon and would love your feedback. I'd like to get a phone that I can use with my 3G ipad as a wifi hotspot. Not really eager to jailbreak the ipad at this point and I'm trying to find a way around paying over and above the unlimited data plan I already have (seems like their trying to double-dip to me). I figure if I have to pay extra for that, I might as well use AT&T's plan. Suggestions?

well there is really no other way then to jailbreak your ipad . i am using a 16 gig ipad wifi and using the blackberry to tether my blackberry data plan with my IPAD it works good. i am sure there are some android phones and windows phones you can buy that will let you share the data . but if your not going to jailbreak it then your going to pay extra

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackberry is definite NO at this time unfortunately. Most if not all window mobile will work with an app added to create hotspot or as stated modded android.

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
Google Nexus One will be updated soon with Froyo 2.2 that includes the WiFi hotspot.

I have the update on my n1 and it works great for tethering if you need to. The 3G model was all that was available at the store I got my ipad from. I couldn't wait so went ahead and got it. I will use the nexus 1 for a backup, so far I have been less than impressed with at& t's 3G.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your budget will allow, i would go with any of your favorite phone not worrying about WiFi and get a MiFi from the same carrier. Most leading phone carriers will package both in one account and the monthly is really not that bad.

Most reactions

Latest posts