What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What no GPS on the Ipad2 WiFi...darn

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why jump through all the hoops and

jerry rigged concoctions? It's really very simple. If you want mobile GPS, either buy a 3G pad of use your iPhone 4 as a mobile hotspot.

Very simple. No jailbreaking and related problems, no extraneous gear attached to the iPad. Just slip it in a gallon ziplock bag for a modicum of weather sealing and ride on.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
WiFi Ipads do not have GPS . . . . .

There are currently two options for adding a Gps to your IPad with out jail breaking it

2. GNS 5870 - It's about the size of a match box and connects by blue tooth to the Ipad. It is not a WAAS GPA but it works great. You have to remember to change it and it's battery life is shorter then the Ipad.

Do you use this with a WIFI only IPAD?
Does the Wifi have to be connected to download the maps?

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WiFi Ipads do not have GPS . . . . .

There are currently two options for adding a Gps to your IPad with out jail breaking it

2. GNS 5870 - It's about the size of a match box and connects by blue tooth to the Ipad. It is not a WAAS GPA but it works great. You have to remember to change it and it's battery life is shorter then the Ipad.

Do you use this with a WIFI only IPAD?
Does the Wifi have to be connected to download the maps?

Yes it can be used with a WIFI only Ipad. The default Maps app that comes installed on Apple products does require a connection of some type to download maps as you move around. However there are many options in the app store when you can down load maps and you can use them later when not connected. There are road, topo, trail, water nav, air nav maps that can all be downloaded to the ipad. Some have fee's and some don't just do a search.

cyberbuddhah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Belkin F8T051 GPS, tried to connect to my ipad with BTstack GPS. It connects OK but no lock GPS signal.

Can you please point me some direction here?

I have an ipad1 wifi, and to get usable functionality for GPS applications I did the following:
Jailbreak iPad, I have Jbroken the iPad on several firmware revs, up to 4.2.1. And it worked on every rev.

Find the BtStack GPS module from the nav section of cydia

Get a wireless source to data, I use mywi on a 3GS or my i4, for the iPad to tether' it will have to be a wifi tether with BtStack GPS neutralizing the native BT in the iPad while it is active, or use a non data required app like navigon...which works well with iPad. Maps and earth, as well as gps drive all work well.

For the receiver, I just happened to have a belkin BT Gps receiver laying around. I bought it in 2004 for 10 bucks at a flea market because the battery (which was recalled) malfunctioned and was missing. other models work as well. The BtStack description will give some details. If you happen to find a used belkin, this receiver has hackable firmware of many nmea forums, but must be transfered by BT from a windows based machine. If anyone is interested in the pprocedure let me know. Increased sensitivity and instant 3d lock are the results, as well as improved indoor track lock once 3d acquisition has been achieved.

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XGPS150-Universal-Smartphones/dp/B004M3BICU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1304142331&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Dual Electronics XGPS150 Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for iPad 2, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone and Other Smartphones, Tablets and Laptops: Electronics[/ame]

Has good reviews, it's a bluetooth GPS reciever, that is supposedly Apple certified.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yet that is now the one to get. Several of my pilot friends are now using that one. IT also has great reviews from the boating world, and does not have the stupid on/off switch problems of the GNS 5870. Also unlike the GNS 5870 the XGPS150 will also work with non apple products.

Most reactions

Latest posts