What multimedia player(s) can play most formats and access a Windows share directly

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Commodore, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Commodore

Commodore iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Just like the title says... I'm looking for some decent media player that can play any audio/video format and access a Windows shared folder directly (to play stuff from there). Is there something like that available at all?

I have FileBrowser to access desktop files. It works great for "office" documents, as well as for supported multimedia formats. For unsupported media formats, I can send it to another media player from there, but it takes quite a while to actually copy the file (I suppose it would be faster if the player just accessed the share directly). I also have VLC, but it tells me to copy files to iPad. CinexPlayer plays a lot of video formats, but I also have to "add" files to it.

I'm looking for a quick and efficient way to read/play audio/video files stored on a desktop computer (or an external drive attached to it, or a CD/DVD media in it). I don't want to "import" or "add" (or even have to convert) the files. A hopeless case?
  2. DefBref

DefBref iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
  3. Commodore

Commodore iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Awesome! Thanks. :thumbs:
    Now if only I could find a way to make Buzz player read the music pushed locally by SugarSync... ;)
  4. Beherith

Beherith iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    VM Player - can access not only windows shares, but also ftp and upnp