What kind of speeds with LTE?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by XDRoX, Apr 7, 2012.

1. geobernd

geobernd
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    AT&T certainly has true LTE - not everywhere but growing... NYC and close by areas (e.g. Jersey City) are covered well and I have never seen less than 15Mbit/s down and 10Mbit/s up...

2. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    You've got bad info.

3. Daylife

Daylife
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Yup

4. texasez

texasez
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    20 and 10 on a visit to Powder Springs GA, north of Atlanta.
    Verizon LTE

5. Lunar

Lunar
    Expand Collapse

Proper 4G..? We don't have ANY 4G..lol I suspect 50% of the population are not getting those sort of speeds on wired and even a few cable networks nevermind 3 & 4G.

I doubt our 4G when it does get rolled out in a couple of years, will likely ever achieve those sort of speeds, though my own 3G network service are rolling out their 3.5G around September which will work on current 3G devices as they are using current standard frequencies obviously.
    I'm afraid users hoping to see a workable 4G on iPads will have to wait for future model iPads to implement multi-band for it to work here.

#15 Lunar, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2012
  6. Walt Cullop

Walt Cullop
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I an not on a 4g area currently but when I an I will test. In the past the does had been remarkable.

7. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
  8. Lunar

Lunar
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for that.. quite interesting.. picture looks worse than I thought.. I did'nt realise that in the USA your frequencies are not the same across the country either, I didn't know those 2 big networks used different freqs too. AAMOI in the USA do you have to buy a specific iPad to suit a particular 4G network or is the iPad3 smart enough to switch between them..?

9. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
  10. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    LTE varies by carrier. For example, LTE on AT&T is very good in most of Oklahoma, but some areas are dealing with HSPA+ for now. Yet, across the border in Kansas, you cannot even get decent 3G coverage over a large area. Verizon is about the same in that they have strong areas and areas without good coverage. right now there are not chips available that can handle the multiple frequencies available. Just like when the iPad was first brought to Verizon, it took its own separate iPad. Then the iPad 2 came out with both carriers on one. The next iPad will probably come with a multi frequency chip with enough range to take care of most carriers with the right sim card.