1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

What kind of people use the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by bd14, Jan 9, 2012.

1. bd14

bd14 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I want to do a research study on what kind of people use the iPad. Feel free to be very open and broad in your explanation. What makes the iPad better than the others?
    Thanks a lot.
  2. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    i think the ipad wins not because it's Apple, but because of what it literally is.

ease of use - iOS is a very closed operating system. Nothing happens unless Apple say so. Everything you do is done with Apple holding your hand doing it their way. This is a huge turn off for a lot of the more 'techie' and younger more savvy gadget users. They dont want to be told how and what to do. They want to have complete freedom and ability to do and customise their gadgets completely their own way. This is absolutely fine of course, but these peeps aren't the majority core of Apple's customers.
    Personally, after 25 years of Windows and customisable software, the closed iOS system is a complete breath of fresh air. I personally like being told how to do it. I like not being able to customise to the n'th degree. The iOS just works. It really does. I switch it on and start playing immediately. No setting up, no fiddling, no faffing about.

The standard, just works operating system is a joy to use. Because of this idiot proof system, my wife (a complete un-technical person. has never even touched a mouse or keyboard in her life before) can instantly use it. She adores shopping on the web on it. My aged mother uses it. Even my old dad loves it. disabled kids can take to it like a duck to water. it's uber intuitive. so natural. it's almost an extension of thought to use it. no technical or clever abilities needed. other tablets do this of course, but not on the same level as Apple, and this is down to the set ios in my opinion.

options - there's sooooo many apps, all most reasonably priced, to shake a stick at. millions. there's apps for absolutely everything. i dont want for nothing. then, when i find the app i want, i press 2 or 3 buttons and it's instantly downloaded and ready to use. other tablets cant give me this choice.

design - no other tablet is as sleek or streamlined as the ipad. Apple fan or not, they've nailed the design. It's a pure joy to hold and have. the look is so awesome. the touch screen abilities are so smooth and responsive. no other tablet even comes close to these things.

As i say, the 'Apple haters' or those who are happy with other tablets and os's give more choice is perfectly fine, but the ipad is an industry standard, and it's an industry standard for numerous reasons. Not because only Apple fans buy them. I'm a staunt Windows user, always will be, but nothing beats iOS or Apple design in my opinion. Or my mother's or father's of wife's (who couldn't care less who created it, they're only in it for what it is and how they can use it). I know for a fact that the other tablets would not suit these people, due to the clunkyness in design, less responsive touch screen, lack of apps and less easy of use compared to Apple. This is why it's the huge seller that it is.

I'm not an Apple fan pe se, but i am an Apple iDevice fan!
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +193 / 0
    i had a well known android tablet and had trouble with it from day one,by day six it had to go back to the store as it was unresponsive,i wasn't going to risk another one as forum members were having the same type of problems,eventually i bought the ipad2,what makes iPad better is it just works,no problems,i go to it open my smart case and there it it,no taking an hour or more to get a response(unlike the android one i had)yes Apple impose restrictions but that means you know everything will work,its easy to use too,you don't have to be an IT genius.
  4. phillipgeorge

phillipgeorge iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I use my iPad just for gaming and information and it the best thing I've invested in easy to use and so quick responsively even my nan can use it and she never used a pc in her life and within seconds she could do things which would've taken her a few ours to understand on other tablets (not the medicine kind)
  5. bd14

bd14 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great guys. Thanks for your responses. And what kind of people do you think buy an iPad? People that look for....

Thanks!
  6. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +193 / 0
    i think iPad suits people of all walks of life,i am a housewife,in the older generation category,because its fun and easy to use it won't put anyone of any age or any level of IT knowledge off.
  7. bd14

bd14 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks poisonivy. And what do you use your iPad for? Mostly?
  8. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    i'm a 3d illustrator in my (cough cough, late 30's, cough cough) an i bought an ipad 2 because i have an original ipod touch and found it a blast of great fun. but, within the week of my ipad my priorities changed completely after i could see what it actually was and what it could do for me.

it immediately replaced my old filofax which i've had in constant use for the last 20+ years. my ipad now houses all my contacts (business and private), my social and business diary, my business letters, invoices, excel charts, accounting, emails, Internet etc etc. it's switched on 8-8 on my office desk here every day. it's invaluable, completely replaced my laptop for a business/comms device. at the same time, i have the radio streaming from it in the background too.

then, out of work hours, me and the wife use it for watching movies streamed via hdmi cable to our wide screen tv in the sitting room. we also love to browse the web via the tv too. she loves to shop this way and browse for the latest deals.
    the youngsters use it purely for games.

so for my family it's put to heavy use almost every day doing a whole host of things. we'd be lost without it now. the only downside or future improvement we crave is for the system to recognise separate logins. a login for my business use, one for general home use and another for the kids would be the cherry on the cake.
  9. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +193 / 0
    i use it mostly for playing a few games in bed mainly,i access the internet,browsing,forums ect,i tend to use it more at night as i use my macbook pro for any lengthy surfing ect during the day,i prefer a proper keypad,its much easier to use my iPad in bed than my mbp,that was one of the pluses of buying one.
  10. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +125 / 0
    I bought mine(over the other choices) mainly for the application support and sheer number of good apps. Im not an Apple "guy" per say and I still question some of the policies and OS lockdowns that they Apple adheres to. However, thats a small price to pay for stability, support, and incredibly diverse app market. Thats why I "got in". I looked at all the others and it didnt take long for me to come back to the iPad 2.

Its been a terriric device - reliable, amazing battery life, super-slick interface, etc, etc.

Thats my story. :)

As for what types of people use iPads, thats a tough question to answer since Ive seen or know all kinds of people that use them. Everyone from some of my hyper-nerd friends all the way to their parents or total NON-nerds. Young, old, male , female, black, white, green, red, etc, etc. Doesnt seem to matter! If you are trying to nail down a demographic of ipad users you might find it a very hard task!
  11. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +193 / 0
    yes and even when you think you are happy with the way you use it you can always find more ways.
  12. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I own two iPads because they're the best tablet on the market for my uses. I'm open to other brands as tablets improve, though. I'm looking for ease of use, access to apps that I find useful (I don't need huge selection as long as the apps I want are available) and reliability.

I think doing a study on who iPad owners are is best based on consumer data that's already been compiled by market researchers and such, because they have actual demographics. A study based on asking forum users to describe themselves and who they think other iPad buyers are seems pretty flimsy. Are you just looking for anecdotes?
  13. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +998 / 0
    I agree, KayKayKay--the level of evidence for anecdotes is weighed less and perhaps even considered biased when asked from an Ipad forum where other members can read other's comments before putting their own. LOL. Perhpas the OP is using the information for "personal use." If not, hopefully he is collecting from other databases besides this one. :)
  14. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
    Ratings:
    +596 / 0
    Pad People

Pad people got plenty reason
    To smile.

They got nimble fingers
    That swipe in one sweep
    They got tethered connections
    That make the telcos weep
    They got countless applications
    And Safari too
    They adore Steve Jobs
    And think Torvalds is cool

We like Android people
    We like Blackberry people
    We like Microsoft people
    That's right ;)

To smile.

They got iTunes accounts
    That are paid in full
    They got iPF
    And they don't like to troll
    They got nifty alert tones
    That go beep beep beep
    They got Siri voices
    That sound so sweet sweet sweet
    They got synchronised data
    And notification chimes
    Pad people know
    How to "parse" the time

They like Android people
    They like Bkackberry people
    They like Microsoft people
    Oh ya!

Thank you Randy Newman and forgive the liberties I've taken with a classic novelty song. By now you know that even plagiarised - my poetic license has expired - if it was ever validated.

AA
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    I run a small plant. I use my iPad for every reason under the sun. It is a reader, game console, email reader. I plug it into my car, play music without advertising, and also use it as a GPS. It is a help in travelling because you can locate services, check gas prices, get motel rooms, and many other uses. I can play movies and TV shows on it, or I can show photographs to family and friends. I can keep files available so that if I receive a cell phone call from work, I can manage scheduling and take care of problems. It does not take the place of a cell phone, and any long trips will also have me taking my laptop.

If this was dealing with carpentry, the iPhone would be a circular saw, a MacBook would be a radial arm saw, and the iPad would be a miter saw.
  16. michali

michali iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I am also a housewife, retired and pretty old! I use mine for emails, surfing, notes, forums, Facebook, YouTube, games, movies, photos, and as a portfolio for art work I design for an organization. The iPad's uses are endless! Totally hooked on it. I had the first gen and then, because I wanted the second gen, gave the first one to my husband!