What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What kind of keyboard to get - Docking or Bluetooth

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a ZAGGmate and love it. The iPad can be positioned in it in either landscape or portrait mode. My battery lasted 3-4 weeks on the initial charge. The keyboard doubles as a case that affords great screen protection. The keyboard is a little cramped but I adapt to it quickly even after recently typing on a MacBook. Autocorrection does not work most of the time when using the keyboard but ZAGG says that is a limitation placed by Apple so should be the same for all Bluetooth keyboards.

Last edited:

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
David79 said:
I thought it only had 1, my bad, thank you for the info.

Actually, you are both right! The ZaggMate w/keyboard only has one angle. The ZaggMate (w/o keyboard) does have multiple angles..

To be honest, the single-angle issue had been a non-issue for me. I usually only use the keyboard when sitting at a table or desk, so that single angle is ok for me....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a ZAGGmate and love it. The iPad can be positioned in it in either landscape or portrait mode. My battery lasted 3-4 weeks on the initial charge. The keyboard doubles as a case that affords great screen protection. The keyboard is a little cramped but I adapt to it quickly even after recently typing on a MacBook. Autocorrection does not work most of the time when using the keyboard but ZAGG says that is a limitation placed by Apple so should be the same for all Bluetooth keyboards.

You mention that autocorrection does not work most of the time. Although I don't think you were referring to the point I'm about to make, it might be of interest. In another thread, a Forum member pointed out a really neat way of updating the iPad's dictionary with specific words that keep getting 'corrected' incorrectly by the iPad. He noted that the iPad always checks the Contacts list for the names and details of contacts that you have and doesn't try to correct these. So he suggested entering spurious contacts which contained lists of words that might be specific to your particular interests - perhaps technical terms. I tried this (I write a lot of technical stuff on the iPad) and it works just fine.

Tim
Scotland

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Apple Bluetooth keyboard and I stopped using it because I can't find out how to use it with other languages. I regularly alternate between English and French and there are at least 20 characters missing or out of phase with those indicated on the keys. So I wasn't typing faster than with the virtual keyboard.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

FastT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iVan said:
I have the Apple Bluetooth keyboard and I stopped using it because I can't find out how to use it with other languages. I regularly alternate between English and French and there are at least 20 characters missing or out of phase with those indicated on the keys. So I wasn't typing faster than with the virtual keyboard.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

i put stickers on my Zaggmate. there are key map stickers for all common languages on the web, so you can localize your keyboard to your native language. the only thing, you can't switch between languages, so you have to decide if you prefer english or french layout.

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FastT said:
i put stickers on my Zaggmate. there are key map stickers for all common languages on the web, so you can localize your keyboard to your native language. the only thing, you can't switch between languages, so you have to decide if you prefer english or french layout.

There is a keyboard switching key in the upper right corner of the ZAGGmate that allows on the fly keyboard switching. It has the same wire globe symbol used on the iPad soft keyboard.

FastT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kc2ped said:
There is a keyboard switching key in the upper right corner of the ZAGGmate that allows on the fly keyboard switching. It has the same wire globe symbol used on the iPad soft keyboard.

does not help too much if you have special characters in a certain language and the h/w keyboard layout is english. I used stickers from "easy key" to customize my keyboard to German in order to have access to all the öööö and üüü and äää and ßßß, which my buddies require me to use a lot.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just in case you hadn't noticed; if you long press on the vowels on the English keyboard you'll get a little sub menu that you can choose all the standard marking things (whatever they are called, I forget). Just slide you finger to the symbol you want when it appears.

There are a variety of these little menus scattered all over the keyboard in the strangest places. I spent an hour or so one day exploring. Never did find the copyright mark, which is what I really wanted.

Of course that is the touch keyboard.

On the bluetooth keyboard you can often get similar functions from control, options, or command key combos. You get the copyright symbol using © option G. To get the vowel markings you use an option vowel combo followed by the vowel you want. The marking go like this:

Ã¥ is Option-a
´ is Option-e you can do áéíóú
ˆ is Option-i -- âêîôû
¨ is Option-u -- äëïöü

You can even get the ß symbol with Option-s. I can't find any way to get that on the touch keyboard, not the english one anyway.

Last edited:

Most reactions