What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is up with map location on ipad2

zag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just recently purchased the ipad2 wifi it's not picking up map locations even with home wifi but my ipad1 is. -what's going on? Please help

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just recently purchased the ipad2 wifi it's not picking up map locations even with home wifi but my ipad1 is. -what's going on? Please help

Was your iPad1 a 3G model? Only 3G iPads have GPS, WiFi models rely on accessing a database of WiFi hotspot locations maintained by Apple.

Tim

OP
Z

zag

iPF Noob
Reaction score

No first one was just wifi don't even get the location triangle that comes up with the iPad maps

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check 'Settings', 'General', 'Location Services' -> 'On' and enable 'Maps' to determine your location.

Tim

OP
Z

zag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok Tim gave that a go still not working

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you register the location of your WiFi? I am wondering how your iPad1 is showing the location if it's WiFi only, unless you registered the WiFi in your home.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Lets try a more detailed list, just in case something got missed.

1) iPad is on, connected to Wi-Fi, and can get to the internet (check a page in Safari to be sure).

2) Settings > Location is turned on at the top, and when you scroll down to the Maps app, it is turned on there as well.

3) Open the Maps app. The arrow icon should appear in the status bar to the left of the battery percentage. The arrow icon in the app should turn blue (tap on it if it does not, maybe more than once, it has a couple modes). Big blue circle around dot appears, and shrinks in several stages, and hopefully the map background downloads.

If none of the happens reset the iPad and try again.

Hold down the home and power buttons at the same time until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the power off slider if it appears. The iPad should reboot.

If it still does not work, I can't think of why not. At the very least the arrow icons should show whether it can locate you or not. If they are not appearing that means the location services are not even trying to find you. A call to Apple may be in order.

Most reactions

Latest posts