What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the Mac Mini?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you've got the money, install a SSD drive and then use an external hard drive or network for storage.

I used to think there is no way SSD's could be worth the price they were asking, until I installed one in my desktop. Shortly after I did that I upgraded my MacBook Pro with an SSD, as well as my HTPC. Best upgrade out there for overall speed and responsiveness.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 8GB ram in mine and its very snappy...the only problem is for some reason the latest build of Flash 10.1 plays video super slow and choppy!! If you downgrade to 10.0.4 it plays just fine, but it means you can't watch any web video in Chrome since it has flash built in.

Also, EyeTV is a very cool addition if you have a hefty external hard drive to store recordings.

Canadian144

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you've got the money, install a SSD drive and then use an external hard drive or network for storage.

Unfortunately money is what I don't have a ton of :(

When I get my Macbook Pro for University this summer, I'm planning on upgrading the HDD, so I'll try to save up for an SSD drive. Will probably have to make due with a 7200RPM drive in the mac mini though.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny the mini with 2gig feels as fast as a 4gig win7 machine and it's only in apps like lightroom that you notice the difference between 2 and 8gig.
Love the little minx but looking into a ssd to replace the dvd drive as the installed hdd is slow to keep the internal heat down.
While I did find the mini faster than I expected with 2 gig I could feel it struggle with multiple apps open--which is usually the case for me. After upping to 8 gig it handles just about anything I throw at it.

'Course some of it was probably psychological as I leave Activity Monitor open with memory status in the dock. I cringed when the green part of the pie would disappear. :)

Michael

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iMac is getting to the point that I may replace it in two years. The mini is high on my list as I am using my MBP for most uses. The iMac is mostly used with my printer, external drives, EyeTV units and for transferring videos to MP4 format. I do not use my Apple keyboard and mouse, and could get a large monitor fairly cheap. For the right uses, the mini can be ideal. I am thinking about making a cavity in the wall under a 37"-42" HDTV. I could mount all my drives, hubs, and the mini out of view behind a door.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Seadog said:
My iMac is getting to the point that I may replace it in two years. The mini is high on my list as I am using my MBP for most uses. The iMac is mostly used with my printer, external drives, EyeTV units and for transferring videos to MP4 format. I do not use my Apple keyboard and mouse, and could get a large monitor fairly cheap. For the right uses, the mini can be ideal. I am thinking about making a cavity in the wall under a 37"-42" HDTV. I could mount all my drives, hubs, and the mini out of view behind a door.

I have that exact idea implemented in my home now. Its gorgeous.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Should add and this is purely subjective but I prefer media on the mac to win7. Can't pin it down but the total experience is just that bit smoother all round. Ymmv and probably will :)

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Are you using XBMC? If not, give it a shot, it's extremely easy to install and setup. It's awesome, gives you a beautiful interface that will wow everyone who checks it out. It's also very functional and has a lot of different addons and options. Best thing yet, it's all free.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv

Are you using XBMC? If not, give it a shot, it's extremely easy to install and setup. It's awesome, gives you a beautiful interface that will wow everyone who checks it out. It's also very functional and has a lot of different addons and options. Best thing yet, it's all free.

Yeah im usin it. LOVE IT! haha

Canadian144

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Woohoo, planning to buy my mac mini on Thursday after class from Bestbuy (I find that if you are buying a computer + accessories they will give you a good deal on the accessories, unlike the Apple store where their prices seem firm).

I'm planning to get the "standard" mac mini (320gb HDD, 2GB RAM, 2.4ghz core 2 duo), as well as the Magic Mouse, Wireless keyboard, Dynex 6 foot HDMI cable (to connect to my Acer H233H 23" LCD monitor), MS office home/student 3 license pack, and Mobileme. Also BB in Canada sells 2GB sticks of Kingston memory that are "Apple Compatible" for $80 a stick, but Tigerdirect has a pack of 2 of these 2GB sticks for $70.... so if BB will pricematch Tigerdirect, I'll also be picking up 4GB of RAM for it.

On the weekend I'll order a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 7200RPM Hybrid drive and a cheap $10 external 2.5" HDD enclosure so I can swap the little 320GB HDD out.

This will be my first Mac (my main previous Mac experience is just using Logic at school for composition work), I'm pretty excited to make the switch.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Apple store is the best place to buy your Mac!

Woohoo, planning to buy my mac mini on Thursday after class from Bestbuy (I find that if you are buying a computer + accessories they will give you a good deal on the accessories, unlike the Apple store where their prices seem firm).

I'm planning to get the "standard" mac mini (320gb HDD, 2GB RAM, 2.4ghz core 2 duo), as well as the Magic Mouse, Wireless keyboard, Dynex 6 foot HDMI cable (to connect to my Acer H233H 23" LCD monitor), MS office home/student 3 license pack, and Mobileme. Also BB in Canada sells 2GB sticks of Kingston memory that are "Apple Compatible" for $80 a stick, but Tigerdirect has a pack of 2 of these 2GB sticks for $70.... so if BB will pricematch Tigerdirect, I'll also be picking up 4GB of RAM for it.

On the weekend I'll order a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 7200RPM Hybrid drive and a cheap $10 external 2.5" HDD enclosure so I can swap the little 320GB HDD out.

This will be my first Mac (my main previous Mac experience is just using Logic at school for composition work), I'm pretty excited to make the switch.

You will love your new Mac mini. My first two macs were mini's.

I have just one very important suggestion for you though.

Purchase your Mac from an Apple store.

Here are the following reasons why:

a. No one knows Apple products better than Apple. The person who sells Apple products at Best Buy is not an Apple employee, no matter what they say.
b. All apple employees are commission-free. They will spend as much time with you as needed. Especially important if this is your first Mac purchase.
c. They have a Genius Bar. Sorry, but the Geek Squad doesn't even come close.
d. You will receive a free 90 minute "Meet your Mac" personal set up. Best Buy charges $119 per hour for something similar.
e. You will receive a 30% discount off of your MobileMe account. Best Buy charges full price.
f. You will get $30 off your iWork, for only $49. Much less than Office. If you are going to use Apple hardware, you are much better off using Apple software. iWork is Microsoft Office compatible, and it's Keynote and Pages are easily superior to PowerPoint and Word, and iWork works better with the other Apple programs, and uses less system resources. Ask for a demonstration to see what I mean.
g. With your mac purchase at an Apple store, you will qualify for One to One. It is unlimited personal training at all Apple stores for an entire year, plus a free data transfer. You also get free workshops, and direct assistance with personal projects, as many sessions as you like for a year. It also includes 24/7 access to online training tutorials. All of this is a one time $99. Best Buy has nothing like this, but will charge you $119 per hour for training and $169 for a data transfer, not to mention, they don't offer specialized workshops or assistance with personal projects. One to One is the biggest reason to buy a Mac from an Apple store. You can't get this kind of support anywhere else.
h. If you are using this for business, you will receive free business consultation and may also qualify for business discounts and incentives. Ask to speak to their business team.
i. If you are a college student or faculty of any accredited school, you will receive an education discount. Bring your school ID.
j. If you work for a company that Apple has listed in their books, you will receive discounts on products and services. Just ask them to see if your company is listed, and bring something to show that you are employed by that company.
k. If you are employed by the city, state, county, federal government, or are military/retired, you will receive a discount.
l. No restocking fees on all purchases returned or exchanged for up to two weeks. They can even look up your purchase w/o a receipt.
m. They have got every kind of Apple product and recommended accessories for Apple products, most of which are on display and demonstrable.
n. Apple Care costs less than Best Buys extended warranty, and includes free phone tech support for three years. Apple can diagnose problems quicker than anyone else can, and even see your screen through screen sharing if you enable it. Should you need to exchange a defective CPU, that is unserviceable, it gets replaced by a brand new unit over the counter, as long as it's in stock. Qualified business accounts, corporate employees, Govt./Military, and college students/educaters get a discount on Mac Apple Care.

I've purchased 3 macs, two iPhones, 3 iPods, and 1 iPad, all from the Apple store. I've had an iPhone replaced, my iPad replaced, and my macs serviced, all with Apple Care at no additional cost to me. I won't buy an Apple product anywhere else, and I won't take my Apple products to anyone else but their Genius Bar. I recommend that everyone should make their purchase at an Apple store if they've got one near them.

An added service bonus:

If you've got an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, download the Apple Store app for free from the app store, and use the store app with location services allowed. It will alert an Apple employee that you have arrived and they will meet you at the front. The picture of the person who is meeting you will be on your device. This app rocks for personal service when coming to an Apple store.

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If you can go for another $35 for the RAM you can get 8GB instead of 4. I bought 8GB here for $105:

8.0GB (2x4.0GB) NuRAM PC8500 DDR3 1066... (NWT8566DDR3S8GP) at OWC

And trust me you can get by with 2GB while you wait for delivery, which can be as little as $3 and change. :)

Michael

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You will love your new Mac mini. My first two macs were mini's.

I have just one very important suggestion for you though.

a. No one knows Apple products better than Apple. The person who sells Apple products at Best Buy is not an Apple employee, no matter what they say.
b. All apple employees are commission-free. They will spend as much time with you as needed. Especially important if this is your first Mac purchase.
d. You will receive a free 90 minute "Meet your Mac" personal set up. Best Buy charges $119 per hour for something similar.
e. You will receive a 30% discount off of your MobileMe account. Best Buy charges full price.
f. You will get $30 off your iWork, for only $49. Much less than Office. If you are going to use Apple hardware, you are much better off using Apple software. iWork is Microsoft Office compatible, and it's Keynote and Pages are easily superior to PowerPoint and Word, and iWork works better with the other Apple programs, and uses less system resources. Ask for a demonstration to see what I mean.
g. With your mac purchase at an Apple store, you will qualify for One to One. It is unlimited personal training at all Apple stores for an entire year, plus a free data transfer. You also get free workshops, and direct assistance with personal projects, as many sessions as you like for a year. It also includes 24/7 access to online training tutorials. All of this is a one time $99. Best Buy has nothing like this, but will charge you $119 per hour for training and $169 for a data transfer, not to mention, they don't offer specialized workshops or assistance with personal projects. One to One is the biggest reason to buy a Mac from an Apple store. You can't get this kind of support anywhere else.
h. If you are using this for business, you will receive free business consultation and may also qualify for business discounts and incentives. Ask to speak to their business team.
i. If you are a college student or faculty of any accredited school, you will receive an education discount. Bring your school ID.
j. If you work for a company that Apple has listed in their books, you will receive discounts on products and services. Just ask them to see if your company is listed, and bring something to show that you are employed by that company.
k. If you are employed by the city, state, county, federal government, or are military/retired, you will receive a discount.
l. No restocking fees on all purchases returned or exchanged for up to two weeks. They can even look up your purchase w/o a receipt.
m. They have got every kind of Apple product and recommended accessories for Apple products, most of which are on display and demonstrable.
n. Apple Care costs less than Best Buys extended warranty, and includes free phone tech support for three years. Apple can diagnose problems quicker than anyone else can, and even see your screen through screen sharing if you enable it. Should you need to exchange a defective CPU, that is unserviceable, it gets replaced by a brand new unit over the counter, as long as it's in stock. Qualified business accounts, corporate employees, Govt./Military, and college students/educaters get a discount on Mac Apple Care.

I've purchased 3 macs, two iPhones, 3 iPods, and 1 iPad, all from the Apple store. I've had an iPhone replaced, my iPad replaced, and my macs serviced, all with Apple Care at no additional cost to me. I won't buy an Apple product anywhere else, and I won't take my Apple products to anyone else but their Genius Bar. I recommend that everyone should make their purchase at an Apple store if they've got one near them.

An added service bonus:

If you've got an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, download the Apple Store app for free from the app store, and use the store app with location services allowed. It will alert an Apple employee that you have arrived and they will meet you at the front. The picture of the person who is meeting you will be on your device. This app rocks for personal service when coming to an Apple store.

While I love the Apple Store experience, I really do not need all that hand holding. I would prefer a "no frills" price without all of that stuff added in--and for sure it is built into the price.

That said you cannot beat the experience. When I bought my Apple TV there was no parking and I just wanted to pick it up (Town Square mall Vegas). The associate met me by the door with the ATV, we did the quick sale on his device--email receipt--and it was a done deal in about 90 seconds. No ticket! :)

Michael

Canadian144

iPF Noob
Reaction score

a. No one knows Apple products better than Apple. The person who sells Apple products at Best Buy is not an Apple employee, no matter what they say. Can't deny that, but I feel that I really have no questions or things to ask the salesperson. I know what accessories I want, what computer I want, etc.
b. All apple employees are commission-free. They will spend as much time with you as needed. Especially important if this is your first Mac purchase. Again, I don't really feel like I need to spend a lot of time with the salesperson - if I just said " I want a mac" and had no clue which one is best for me or which accessories I wanted, then yes I agree an actual Apple employee would be best.
d. You will receive a free 90 minute "Meet your Mac" personal set up. Best Buy charges $119 per hour for something similar. Really don't think I need this - I've used macs often before at school.
e. You will receive a 30% discount off of your MobileMe account. Best Buy charges full price. When my Dad bought his iPad at Bestbuy, they gave him the 30% off discount. I'd be surprised if they didn't do the same thing this time around.
f. You will get $30 off your iWork, for only $49. Much less than Office. If you are going to use Apple hardware, you are much better off using Apple software. iWork is Microsoft Office compatible, and it's Keynote and Pages are easily superior to PowerPoint and Word, and iWork works better with the other Apple programs, and uses less system resources. Ask for a demonstration to see what I mean. This is a good point. My main reason for sticking with Office is due to compatibility - yes iWork is compatible with Office, but it requires a bit of extra effort to save files in a Word format. The benefits are what you mentioned - as well as the fact that I already have an iPad, so if I purchased the iWork suite for iPad I would be able to do some work on the go. My worry is primarily with numbers - I hear it really can't be compared to Excel. I am planning to enter a business undergrad program, so a good excel-type program would be important, I would figure.

I've decided that I'll download the trial versions of each before purchasing, this way I can use it for an extended period of time and really experience the pros/cons of each.
g. With your mac purchase at an Apple store, you will qualify for One to One. It is unlimited personal training at all Apple stores for an entire year, plus a free data transfer. You also get free workshops, and direct assistance with personal projects, as many sessions as you like for a year. It also includes 24/7 access to online training tutorials. All of this is a one time $99. Best Buy has nothing like this, but will charge you $119 per hour for training and $169 for a data transfer, not to mention, they don't offer specialized workshops or assistance with personal projects. One to One is the biggest reason to buy a Mac from an Apple store. You can't get this kind of support anywhere else. Again, I really have no desire to get any training - I don't have the time or the want. I've got plenty of friends with Macs who said they'd help me out if I need something. Data transfer is not a problem either, all of the files I'd want to transfer are already on my external HDD.
h. If you are using this for business, you will receive free business consultation and may also qualify for business discounts and incentives. Ask to speak to their business team. N/A
i. If you are a college student or faculty of any accredited school, you will receive an education discount. Bring your school ID. N/A (yet)
j. If you work for a company that Apple has listed in their books, you will receive discounts on products and services. Just ask them to see if your company is listed, and bring something to show that you are employed by that company. N/A
k. If you are employed by the city, state, county, federal government, or are military/retired, you will receive a discount. N/A
n. Apple Care costs less than Best Buys extended warranty, and includes free phone tech support for three years. Apple can diagnose problems quicker than anyone else can, and even see your screen through screen sharing if you enable it. Should you need to exchange a defective CPU, that is unserviceable, it gets replaced by a brand new unit over the counter, as long as it's in stock. Qualified business accounts, corporate employees, Govt./Military, and college students/educaters get a discount on Mac Apple Care. Discount is N/A. I will only be using this Mac mini until September really - after that I'll be away at University, and will only be using it when I'm back home on holidays and during breaks. I will probably purchase this if I end up getting a Macbook Pro for university.

Thanks for the advice, but at the end of the day it's my dad's call. I'll try to address some of the points you make above. Also the apple store closest to me is always JAM packed with people, and all of the times I've been in there, I've found it hard to get service. Can't deny that the service isn't good though.

If you can go for another $35 for the RAM you can get 8GB instead of 4. I bought 8GB here for $105:

8.0GB (2x4.0GB) NuRAM PC8500 DDR3 1066... (NWT8566DDR3S8GP) at OWC

And trust me you can get by with 2GB while you wait for delivery, which can be as little as $3 and change. :)

Michael

Cool, thanks for the link. I guess I will pony up the extra money for the memory then. No clue if I need it, but it's always better to have too much than too little. I'll probably also order my Seagate Momentus XT 500GB from them. Didn't expect shipping to be so cheap, I order a lot of motocross/dirtbike/ATV parts from the US and shipping to Canada is usually absurd (luckily I have some family in Michigan who we ship most of the stuff to!).

Most reactions